You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Favourite Player

No2

Fave from the current bunch of legends  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Fave from the current bunch of legends

Kenny Dalglish/Ian Rush/John Barnes as a kid. 

Nowadays don't really have a favourite player, just appreciate what we have for right now. At a push any of the front three who all play with a smile on their face. Henderson for overcoming adversity (and ungrateful fans) to become the player/captain he has & Virgil at the back, though I guess not favourites more a respect for them all. 

• Upvote 1

None. I respect them all as supremely talented professional footballers and wish them future success. I am long past being a youngster and realise that every one of them us human as has the capacity to disappoint away from their profession. That said,Klopp and his players seem to be generally a very well balanced and modest group of young men. I admire Klopp and Henderson a lot, as people and Milner,Robertson and VVD seem very level headed too. No favourites but just admiration and respect to them all.

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, Pete said:

Kenny Dalglish/Ian Rush/John Barnes as a kid. 

Nowadays don't really have a favourite player, just appreciate what we have for right now. At a push any of the front three who all play with a smile on their face. Henderson for overcoming adversity (and ungrateful fans) to become the player/captain he has & Virgil at the back, though I guess not favourites more a respect for them all. 

Could have written that myself.

• Upvote 1

Can't choose. I work with Newcastle fans and had a conversation a few months back with one of them who lamented the fact that he's getting his son a Newcastle shirt for his birthday but has absolutely no idea whose name to put on the back, the team is so full of wage thieves and nonentities. Years ago they had big players like Shearer, Ginola etc. - before that they had players who weren't as good but at least there were a few cult personalities there.

Made me insanely grateful for the team we've got. They're all brilliant players, excellent pros with winning mentalities, and for the absolute most part, seemingly down to earth and sound lads.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Elite said:

Robbo for me. He's the best left back in world football. I love the way he plays and he seems like a top bloke as well.

He left a bit on McCarthy right at the start of the match. McCarthy looked at him as if to say what was that for? Robbo just jogged off. McCarthy barely touched the ball after that. 

I voted Milner. If I’d have had two votes, I’d have added Robertson, three Henderson.

Milner is obviously not our best player, doesn’t even get in to our best team, but he is the perfect example of absolute dedication to the cause. 

I reckon the influence he has on our current crop and that he will be having on some of the kids coming through is immeasurable. Some of them will be better players and have better careers, in part, because of him.

He does support Leeds though so, on reflection, I hate him. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, YorkshireRed said:

I voted Milner. If I’d have had two votes, I’d have added Robertson, three Henderson.

Milner is obviously not our best player, doesn’t even get in to our best team, but he is the perfect example of absolute dedication to the cause. 

I reckon the influence he has on our current crop and that he will be having on some of the kids coming through is immeasurable. Some of them will be better players and have better careers, in part, because of him.

He does support Leeds though so, on reflection, I hate him. 

I hope we keep him. He's got one more season of under-estimated utility in him then he needs to be around the club for the coming years. He talks about us a "we" but means it. Fuck leeds. 

2 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I hope we keep him. He's got one more season of under-estimated utility in him then he needs to be around the club for the coming years. He talks about us a "we" but means it. Fuck leeds. 

I agree. Maybe they’re doing this already but the hierarchy should be readying him for future roles and many years at the Club. Early days and maybe not next man in but maybe a future manager in waiting.

A couple of years ago, I’d have said he’s definitely going to end up back at Leeds in some capacity. Not so sure now, I think he’s turning red.

And yes, fuck Leeds. 

In my humble opinion Kenny Dalglish is the single greatest footballing humanitarian to walk this earth. 

Of the current crop Robbo and Mane seem to be cut form the same cloth but not as well tailored as the King.

My favourite kicker of a ball in our team however is Virg. I never ever get worried when I see him going toward the ball.

7 hours ago, aRdja said:

I’m very fond of Jordan Henderson, but my favourite footballer is Virgil van Dijk. Best defender in the world and the most one-eyed United fan would accept that. 

You have been gravely misinformed.