You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Man City (A) 2/7/2020 - Premier League - 20:15

Bjornebye

11 hours ago, Aventus said:

I thought their behaviour during the guard of honour was interesting. 

The way they half arsed it, looking away, some not even clapping, before all walking off halfway through, no way Klopp would have let our lads do that. 

I remember the Community Shield was supposed to be a big psychological advantage for the winner, especially considering how tight it was between us last season.

They won, so Klopp rounded up all the players and had them stand and watch them lift the trophy, partly as a sign of respect to the team that won, but also to show them that we aren't going away, they might have won that small battle but we're still hungry and we're coming after you, extra motivation for us and something for them to worry about. 

Little moments like that can add to the strength of character that our players have, and lots if small moments like that can be the foundation of a winning team. 

So I wonder what psychology is at play when you have one team willing to live in that moment and build from it, and another team doing their best to be dismissive and to not acknowledge the situation. 

At the very least it indicates the gulf in class between the teams. 

gettyimages-1159679974-2048x2048.jpg

1991928.jpg

bernardo-silva-snub.jpg

20200703_015358.jpg

20200703_015351.jpg

Yep, pretty poor show by a number of the city staff and players. Did you notice they also made us wait alongside the Premier League stand for quite some time after we walked out?

It's pretty petty stuff and to be honest, Id given them the benefit of the doubt after that sing along on the plane back from Brighton last season but it looks like they have no shred of decency.

Did we display a 'not fucking interested, not fucking bothered' look when we formed a guard for chelsea a few seasons back?

What are the city players going to do if, heavens forbid, they get to the CL final then beaten? It's traditional for the losers to give the winners an honour guard. Will the city players and staff walk off part way through?

Would have been nice to have seen us put on a decent display and for Salah and Mane to get a few more goals towards the Golden Boot. 

I don't really care overall about the result, or the manner of the defeat, because I'm going to assume that a few of our players haven't exactly prepared brilliantly over the last week for this, and that's understandable, though annoying. 

However, I maintain Firmino and Wijnaldum are replaceable in this team, in terms of their end product. 

Firmino just annoys me now.

As for Gini, I'm sort of picking on him but I do really like him, but it's obvious that we miss that goal-threat from the midfield three a la Bruno Fernandes, the type of player you want up supporting an attack and waiting for the ball to break on the edge of the area. In this team, that player gets 10 goals a season easy.  It should be Ox, but he never seems to get the nod. 

17 minutes ago, Jordy Brouwer said:

With Firminho I can't tell whether I just don't understand enough about football to appreciate some of his performances. I know he helps create space for the wide two he just sometimes doesn't seem to provide much else, though i love him to bits. 

Who?

28 minutes ago, Jordy Brouwer said:

With Firminho I can't tell whether I just don't understand enough about football to appreciate some of his performances. I know he helps create space for the wide two he just sometimes doesn't seem to provide much else, though i love him to bits. 

It seems to that he tries to cover creative deficiencies in the midfield, and so he drops really deep to do that, and in doing so he leaves Mane and Salah which forces them to come more narrow to link with each other. 

I dunno.  it just feels like he misses a couple of things in his game that would help us.  Like, if he had a bastard of a snap shot from the edge of the area, or if he had a free kick in him, or if he was rapid and could knock a ball around someone and whip in a cross.  

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, YorkshireRed said:

We lost 4-0. Could easily have been 6-0 or 4-3 or 4-4 or 4-5. Weird game, just one of those things. Probably not that surprising and, in the great scheme of things, doesn’t mean that much.

Not a result that should turn fannies hysterical anyway. 

Outsiders can react how they like, but internally I'd hope that there's always an over-reaction rather than an under-reaction to that kind of result. That's how top teams stay at the top - they explain away success and take failure ultra seriously. 

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

I really couldn't give a flying fuck about the guard of honour. They are our closest rivals. It will have hurt them to have to do it. Fuck them. 

It didn't hurt them at all, because they made a point of not being arsed about it. Several players had already jogged off before our last players had reached the end of it. What was the damn point? It's just a pity more wasn't made about their idiotic anti-LFC songs after they won last year. It would have shown what a charmless bunch of cock heads they are.