You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Man City (A) 2/7/2020 - Premier League - 20:15

Bjornebye

10/11/2019: 51 mins: Liverpool – Man City 3-0. Good match between two good teams. Could be 3-3 at that time but wasn’t.

02/07/2020: 45 mins: Man City – Liverpool 3-0. Good match between two good teams. Could be 3-3 at that time but wasn’t.

We played well until they scored. You can’t keep missing chances against a team as good as Man City, eventually you’re going to pay the price. That’s it really. Shit happens.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I think last nights result actually illustrates what an amazing achievement winning the league has been against the state backed financial behemoth that is Manchester City. I note significant sections of other fanbases are enjoying the result, would they be enjoying it if City were on course to pick-up their third successive league title with no end to their domination in sight?

I saw from the Swiss ramble yesterday that during the last 4 years Liverpool have actually turned a profit on transfers, which is absolutely astounding. While Neco Williams looked good last night and Curtis and Elliot will probably be good prospects over the long haul it would be good to see the club invest some money into the team this summer to enable greater competition and a freshening up of the squad.

If Manchester City are banned from the champions league next year (I will still be amazed if this comes to pass) I think a lot more emphasis needs to be put on the cups (domestic and European) as I think they will concentrate their efforts on the league (with significant rest periods) and unlike other teams who have been hit with European bans I think they will find it relatively easy to retain their players due to the financial packages they are on.

• Upvote 1

Lockdown football is shit, I absolutely hate it. Watching without the fake fan noise makes it feel like I'm watching a 5-a-side game down the sports centre. This game seemed to lack intensity, concentration and focus from nearly all of our players. You can't go into a game against City like that, and especially when they were looking to prove a point after losing the league and giving us a guard of honour.

The result didn't matter at all but the manner of performance did, and we failed quite badly in the end. When you're the champs everyone wants a piece and we didn't seem ready, or much care, about that last night. I'm not angry about it, I do feel a bit embarrassed that they we lost by four.

At least Sterling had his good game against us behind closed doors and hopefully this will serve as a wake-up call that there's no resting on laurels, we have to be on it again to continue our momentum into next season.

I'd really prefer next season not to be that soon though, I want fans back in games because this current format is fucking awful.

• Upvote 1

I turned over the minute it finished as I can’t stand that Micah Richards. I’ve only just seen Klopp snapping at Shreeves! More people should snap at his idiotic comments. I’ve also seen Keane was quite kind though, saying it’s human nature to slacken off when you’ve already won.

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, Jordy Brouwer said:

For people saying it was a harsh penalty it wasn't really. I didn't even protest when it was given because there was a whole couple of seconds where I was going "get off him Joe! That's going to be a ......"

I wonder if Taylor would have given it had it been at the other end. Answers on a postcard......

It was a weird game alright, never seen us mess up so many golden opportunities...i mean that Mane miss was incredible.

But i thought trent, robertson and alison were terrible. Alisson is normally so focused but he just flopped about for all the goals, the Foden one was terrible keeping, he didn't need to rush out like that.

Made up we finally won the league but we will be top 4 next year with no investment. No way we are winning it again with this 11-13 players.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, suzy said:

I turned over the minute it finished as I can’t stand that Micah Richards. I’ve only just seen Klopp snapping at Shreeves! More people should snap at his idiotic comments. I’ve also seen Keane was quite kind though, saying it’s human nature to slacken off when you’ve already won.

I still have no idea what that question was supposed to be from Shreeves. It was like some nonsensical dementia rambling. 

2 hours ago, Scott_M said:

Are very bizarre tweet...

EF0BDAC5-6F61-4FD8-9D00-60A819FF4DE2.png

So small time.

Don't get me wrong if I was Pep, I would be very pleased and I'd be saying well done to my team. I'd do it behind closed doors and wouldn't make a big deal about it. To be fair to Pep, I don't greatly dislike him. He is a typical Barca bloke - arrogant and cocky and petulant but at the same time you can see he has enormous respect for Jurgen and the lads. Bernardo Silva is such a horrible knobhead.

I think we set out to entertain and were much more open than usual as a result. Not a chance that would happen if that had been a real title decider.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Well Taylor gave us one for a fairly gentle shove by Walker in the second half, before it was downgraded to a free kick 

Taylor gave the free kick. Was a very good spot to be fair, right before the line.

1 hour ago, suzy said:

Shreeves is an absolute shit of an interviewer. Do you remember when he was interviewing Kenny about the Suarez non-handshake at OT, and Kenny tried to walk away, only for Shreeves to stick his arm out and block him? No one else would have dared to have done that. He's a poster boy for Sky's arrogant sense of entitlement. He knows however he behaves with managers or players, the whole of Sky's massed media will back him and slag off the other one, so he knows he can be as obnoxious as he likes.

I was far more annoyed at the Watford result. Says it all, really. 

And best to get on the piss and celebrate now than at the end of season that'll only be a couple of weeks before the start of the next one. 

1 hour ago, sir roger said:

Well Taylor gave us one for a fairly gentle shove by Walker in the second half, before it was downgraded to a free kick 

He gave a free kick which VAR confirmed. He didn’t give a pen.

If we needed to win that to get over the line we would have been far better. I wouldn't look into the game for faults too much at all. It kind of reminded me of the 3 nil defeat to Barca where we were good but just missed so many chances. 

I can't understand the hysterical reactions from some fans either. Just no pleasing some mongs. 

11 hours ago, Aventus said:

I thought their behaviour during the guard of honour was interesting. 

The way they half arsed it, looking away, some not even clapping, before all walking off halfway through, no way Klopp would have let our lads do that. 

I remember the Community Shield was supposed to be a big psychological advantage for the winner, especially considering how tight it was between us last season.

They won, so Klopp rounded up all the players and had them stand and watch them lift the trophy, partly as a sign of respect to the team that won, but also to show them that we aren't going away, they might have won that small battle but we're still hungry and we're coming after you, extra motivation for us and something for them to worry about. 

Little moments like that can add to the strength of character that our players have, and lots if small moments like that can be the foundation of a winning team. 

So I wonder what psychology is at play when you have one team willing to live in that moment and build from it, and another team doing their best to be dismissive and to not acknowledge the situation. 

At the very least it indicates the gulf in class between the teams. 

gettyimages-1159679974-2048x2048.jpg

1991928.jpg

bernardo-silva-snub.jpg

20200703_015358.jpg

20200703_015351.jpg

Guess it just proves they can buy the league but all the money in Abu Dhabi can’t buy them class 

There wasn’t anything on the games result really, other than to give 3 more points towards a record total, which, in itself, is just icing on the cake stuff. And a bit of pride too.

However, I think from Klopp’s reaction to Shreeves, and Hendo’s performance, it was certainly important to some of the team that we didn’t want to lose, and certainly not by 4-0.

They both looked as though their pride was dented, I would’ve liked to be a fly on the wall to hear what was said in the dressing room!

It’s true that we could’ve (should’ve?) scored first and perhaps been at least two up before City scored. But we didn’t.

Overall though, there was a feeling we were not 100% at it and concentrated, that then led to mistakes by usually dependable players and, unfortunately, City profited from that with, to be fair, clinical finishing.

Thankfully, as irritating as it is, we can wipe this result off and the expectation will be that we’ll be back on our game pretty soon to keep the home record going and get over City’s record total.

Have to say also that whem the youngsters came on, we looked a bit better so credit to them.

CHAMPIONS!!