You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Man City (A) 2/7/2020 - Premier League - 20:15

Bjornebye

29 minutes ago, Jordy Brouwer said:

Shame because the first 25 minutes were actually really good. For some reason I knew when Salah missed a good chance it was downhill from there. 

Yep, thought we were unlucky to go in 2-0 down at half time. I hope taylor gives us such an easy pen as he gave sterling even if Joe does hold on too long. sterling was holding Joe from the off but once he'd turned, let go then threw himself down. But that's a fault in Joe's game he does too often, holding the oppo. Everyone does it but Joe justseems to hang on more!

Im not one to slag off the players. I said before the game Id take a draw. Yes, a win would be great but Im pragmatic. Go there, avoid defeat and get out of Dodge intact.

But we were woeful tonight, absolutely woeful. Out of all the players, only Mo, Fab and Virgil really looked on their game. That must have been Robbo's worse ever game for us, he was all over the place. There was once city move were they split our defence and he was like, should I go or not bother? When he decided to 'bother' it was too late and his man was well clear.

Sadio, just what the fuck were you looking at with that clear ball into the box? Did he see two footballs on the pitch and didnt know which one to kick? I love Bobby but what the actual? In the first 10 minutes you could see it wasnt going to be his night. Bobby, tell the missus never to dye your hair again lad, it makes you play erm, badly!

Mo ran his heart out tonight even if things didnt go for him. At least he was trying. Im not sure his shot against the post going in would have made the result any different. We'd still have been half hearted and the culpable players would still have been making mistakes. It would have put a little respectability on the final scoreline. But not much!

The rest of them were still hung over or clearly drunk of the euphoria. I keep seeing people say it doesnt matter. But in my opinion, it does. If we'd lost tonight being on blob and it still not happening then ok. But we looked unprofessional tonight and having your arse handed to you in the first game after being crowned Champions simply isnt on for any Liverpool team.

Allison could see what was going on in front of him tonight so decided to take matters into his own hands and ended up conceeding number 3. But fuck me, it's a good job that 5th was ruled out because there's no way a keeper of his class should be conceeding that.

How many times did we get exposed during that game? Loads probably wont agree but I thought Joe was unlucky to be subbed at half time. Apart from the pen, I dont recollect him being taken to the cleaners and, we looked every bit as bad in the second half.

The booking Hendo picked up for telling taylor he's a fucking cunt was worth it, Id say. I think they said 4-0 was the heaviest league defeat Jurgen had suffered since his Mainz days?

Im gutted at the way we lost tonight, not gutted that we didnt win. We were poor and it does matter.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, rubble-rouser said:

Recklessly endangered Salah. And handled the ball after making himself big. What happens if a defender makes that challenge?

Thanks for the laugh 

Thank fuck we've moved past these pathetic excuses being made often.   Fuck all wrong there at all.   Good goalkeeping, clearly ball to hand.  

1 hour ago, dockers_strike said:

So am I. But it's a bit of a weird self motivational tactic when you've just been crowned Champions to turn in a piss poor performance like this, to make to go for some records.

To be honest I wouldn’t be surprised if Sunday is a slog, I know Villa are shit but unless you’re at the races even teams like them can give you a tough game...

I think an early goal is a must as you know what crying cunts our fans can be 

When City go 1-0 up that’s when they get you, I know it sounds stupid but they only have one way of winning and it’s basically blowing the opposition away. We can do that, but we can come from behind and grind out results. I’m not saying City don’t do that but basically fuck them. We’re champions. I’d rather be champions then putting in all our effort into “making a point”.

dust yourselves over reds 

• Upvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke

Reckon Keita looked lively enough to get a start against Villa. Gomez was hooked at H/t so he should be fit enough to go again and I doubt Villa will be that adventurous anyway. I'd be tempted to give Minamino a start and drop Bobby to the bench. 

2 minutes ago, Grinch said:

Thanks for the laugh 

Thank fuck we've moved past these pathetic excuses being made often.   Fuck all wrong there at all.   Good goalkeeping, clearly ball to hand.  

It's no excuse for anything from my point of view. But how can a keeper charging out, lunging into a challenge with his arms out, and having the ball ricochet off his elbow not be handball?

I don't understand how that can't be a free kick, though I certainly don't think it was a red card offence.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Josef Svejk said:

It's no excuse for anything from my point of view. But how can a keeper charging out, lunging into a challenge with his arms out, and having the ball ricochet off his elbow not be handball?

I don't understand how that can't be a free kick, though I certainly don't think it was a red card offence.

Welcome to the world of Grinch.

Look at his studs in the picture, with his eyes closed. Mo had to back out of the challenge. Ederson was recklessly endangering an opponent, to coin a phrase: 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Josef Svejk said:

When it bounces off his knee first and hits his elbow 0.2 seconds later.  It's in no way hand ball at all and not one cunt on here would pretend it is if it was Allison.  Yet you have eejits falling over themselves blaming the ref for a clear pen being given and not sending off their keeper for a brilliant bit of goalkeeping.

This used to be happening once or twice a month, thankfully, it's VERY rare these days.

1 minute ago, rubble-rouser said:

Welcome to the world of Grinch.

Look at his studs in the picture, with his eyes closed. Mo had to back out of the challenge. Ederson was recklessly endangering an opponent, to coin a phrase: 

Welcome to the world of professional football, the one where that's never given a foul.

Guest Pistonbroke
1 minute ago, Grinch said:

When it bounces off his knee first and hits his elbow 0.2 seconds later.  It's in no way hand ball at all and not one cunt on here would pretend it is if it was Allison.  Yet you have eejits falling over themselves blaming the ref for a clear pen being given and not sending off their keeper for a brilliant bit of goalkeeping.

This used to be happening once or twice a month, thankfully, it's VERY rare these days.

The new rules state it can#t be a hand ball as it his body first and then his hand without him moving his hand in a split second job towards the ball. 

Not sure about the penalty being that clear though. Daft from Gomez but Sterling had hold of his jersey first, bit of a 50/50 tussle which ended up with Sterling diving to gain the decision. The fucking shit bag. 

I think it just came down to them being more disciplined at the back, beginning of the first half we had them pinned back for large periods, they showed us a lot if respect, we pushed a bit too high got caught on the break and ended up scrambling around to regain our defensive shape. 

They go one up and then it's us who are needing to take the risks, on top of us feeling deflated and generally not wanting it as much as them. 

Obviously they are professionals and they clearly want to win, but it's fine margins at the top and that little bit of extra hunger goes a long way. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

The new rules state it can#t be a hand ball as it his body first and then his hand without him moving his hand in a split second job towards the ball. 

Not sure about the penalty being that clear though. Daft from Gomez but Sterling had hold of his jersey first, bit of a 50/50 tussle which ended up with Sterling diving to gain the decision. The fucking shit bag. 

Don't give him the chance to go down PB, you know he's looking for it, you know he'll take it, don't fucking give him it.

Very much a one off these days.  I'd like to see us shake it off as such against Villa.   Absolutely zero point blaming a referee if you're defending like a prick and giving him the option.

5 minutes ago, Aventus said:

I think it just came down to them being more disciplined at the back, beginning of the first half we had them pinned back for large periods, they showed us a lot if respect, we pushed a bit too high got caught on the break and ended up scrambling around to regain our defensive shape. 

They go one up and then it's us who are needing to take the risks, on top of us feeling deflated and generally not wanting it as much as them. 

Obviously they are professionals and they clearly want to win, but it's fine margins at the top and that little bit of extra hunger goes a long way. 

Good post.

The worry was that there would be a hangover after last week, and so it proved. Although we had chances to score thanks to City's openness in defence, we defended like we were seeing double.

It's hard to speak positively about any of them on this performance (although quite easily to do so if you look over the past couple of seasons). The ones that did OK merely did OK, but others completely stunk the place out. Big Joe and Robbo had the worst games either has had in a red shirt. Sadio doesn't drink, but he often looked like he'd had a few swigs of the same moonshine Robbo's been swigging all week. Bobby probably couldn't even tell you what day it was.

This was bad, and while it doesn't matter given that the overall objective has already been attained, we mustn't let the season peter out. Momentum is everything in this game, and next season will be upon us sooner than normal so carrying poor form and mentality into it would put us on the back foot immediately. We have to assume that others will hit the ground running, and we have to assume that more teams will see us as a potential scalp. We have to be ready for that and be capable of acting on it.

Just like the disappointments of the Kyiv final and not sealing the title despite gaining 97 points last season were used as motivation to get better, Klopp and the squad maybe ought to take this game as another motivator to right a few wrongs. Starting this weekend, as we still have at least one target left to achieve this season.