You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Manager Draft - Interest Thread

Guest Alex_K

2 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Where have you got Cruyff from in terms of manager

The only possible one I can think of is Leo Beenhakker and he left Ajax at the end of 80/81, Aad de Mos took over in 1981/82 when Cruyff rejoined. Or am I missing him from somewhere else

Nope, you're not missing anything. I searched and searched to get Cruyff. He was never managed by any of the managers on the list.

8 minutes ago, Dynamite said:

Nope, you're not missing anything. I searched and searched to get Cruyff. He was never managed by any of the managers on the list.

Second spell at Ajax[edit]

220px-Johan_Cruijff_met_Japanse_fans.jpg

Johan Cruyff with Japanese fans in 1982

After his spell in the U.S. and his short-lived stay in Spain, Cruyff returned to play in his homeland, rejoining Ajax on 30 November 1980 as "technical advisor" to trainer Leo Beenhakker, Ajax being eighth in the league table at the time after 13 games played. After 34 games, however, Ajax finished the 1980–81 season in second. In December 1981, Cruyff signed a contract extension with Ajax.[44]

In the 1981–82 and 1982–83 seasons, Ajax, along with Cruyff, became league champions. In 1982–83, Ajax won the Dutch Cup (KNVB-Beker). In 1982, he scored a famous goal against Helmond Sport. While playing for Ajax, Cruyff scored a penalty the same way Rik Coppens had done it 25 years earlier.[45][46] He put the ball down as for a routine penalty kick, but instead of shooting at goal, Cruyff nudged the ball sideways to teammate Jesper Olsen, who in return passed it back to Cruyff to tap the ball into the empty net, as Otto Versfeld, the Helmond goalkeeper, looked on.[9]

42 minutes ago, Alex_K said:

Nightmare. Was confident Gullitt would slip back down to me. Wanna trade him for Roy Keane?

I was very close to picking his compatriot, but I have never picked Gullit before so I thought I’d give it a go. His best was a bit before my time but I watched a number of his videos during the last draft (or the one before), and he looked some player. Genuine box-to-box, a bit like Gerrard under Houllier.

Guest Alex_K
1 minute ago, aRdja said:

I was very close to picking his compatriot, but I have ever picked Gullit before, and he was a bit before my time but I watched a number of his videos in the last draft (or the one before), and he looked some player. Genuine box-to-box, a bit like Gerrard under Houllier.

Yeah top pick. That Dutch set of players are the ones I'd have been most curious to see face the great Spain team. Perhaps the two greatest European teams of all time (even if the Dutch didnt have a World Cup to show for it!)