You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Manager Draft - Interest Thread

Guest Alex_K

3 hours ago, John102 said:

My attack has me comfortably in the lead, but some excellent teams battling for second. 

I normally don't mind saying if my side is shite, but my side shits on your side from a seriously big height. 

Really good game. Much like us having another category draft straight after the last one I reckon we could do another two or three of these with a different choice of managers. Whittle this list down to 3 X 11, Big Phil Scolari, Vanderlei Luxemburgo, George Graham, Berti Vogts, Vujadin Boškov, Bobby Robson, Alberto Zaccheroni, Luis Aragones, Ron Atkinson, Giovanni Trappatoni, Graeme Souness, Tele Santana, Marcello Lippi, Udo Lattek, Vicente Del Bosque, Bob Paisley, Rinus Michels, Carlo Ancelotti, Roberto Mancini, Harry Redknapp, Rafa Benitez, Johan Cruyff, Roy Hodgson, Carlos Alberto Parreira, Terry Venables, Louis Van Gaal, John Toshack, Radomir Antic, Arsene Wenger, Jupp Heynckes, Guus Hiddinck, Manuel Pellegrini, Dick Advocaat, Mario Zagallo, Franz Beckenbauer, Jose Mourinho. 

I’ll try and do a little write up on the teams and vote tomorrow when I get a chance. 

Guest Alex_K

Yes my one feedback on it if we ran another manager version would be to have a few more tricky choices so it is a little more challenging. Full-backs aside the depth on this one was a "who's who" of greatest players of all time which takes a little bit of the challenge out of it.

49 minutes ago, Alex_K said:

Yes my one feedback on it if we ran another manager version would be to have a few more tricky choices so it is a little more challenging. Full-backs aside the depth on this one was a "who's who" of greatest players of all time which takes a little bit of the challenge out of it.

It was a cracking draft but it was a lot easier than it first looked like it would be. Thats why a managers draft with the likes of Fat Sam, Moyes etc would be better because its harder and people will have to justify a strike-force of Kevin Davis with Tim Cahill sitting off him. 

Guest Alex_K
3 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

It was a cracking draft but it was a lot easier than it first looked like it would be. Thats why a managers draft with the likes of Fat Sam, Moyes etc would be better because its harder and people will have to justify a strike-force of Kevin Davis with Tim Cahill sitting off him. 

Yes I always thought this would be a relatively easy one; the player pool was enormous as most of these managers are spanning decades. For my own team I don't think I did any prep until halfway through to brush up on Liedholm & Bielsa; this was definitely a game that could yield a really good team just from the top of players' heads. If we did it again, maybe a quirk like "Great Players Who Made Terrible Managers" would be an interesting slant; include a few who are recognisable but don't have enormous pools of players to choose from.

27 minutes ago, Alex_K said:

Yes I always thought this would be a relatively easy one; the player pool was enormous as most of these managers are spanning decades. For my own team I don't think I did any prep until halfway through to brush up on Liedholm & Bielsa; this was definitely a game that could yield a really good team just from the top of players' heads. If we did it again, maybe a quirk like "Great Players Who Made Terrible Managers" would be an interesting slant; include a few who are recognisable but don't have enormous pools of players to choose from.

Graeme Souness, Bryan Robson, Alan Shearer, Ruud Gullit, Roy Keane, John Barnes, Stuart Pearce, Ryan Giggs, Mark Hughes, Lothar Matthews,  Duncan Ferguson. 

Each team will need to have couple of no hopers.

15 minutes ago, No2 said:

Graeme Souness, Bryan Robson, Alan Shearer, Ruud Gullit, Roy Keane, John Barnes, Stuart Pearce, Ryan Giggs, Mark Hughes, Lothar Matthews,  Duncan Ferguson. 

Each team will need to have couple of no hopers.

I’m sure I used to play Lothar Matthews on Sensible Soccer.