You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Manager Draft - Interest Thread

Guest Alex_K

6 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Has Hamman gone? Not sure what your options were but you have done what you are happy with and its still a good side. I'd defo swap Sammer and Desailly though. 

3 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

If you think Desailly would be a better DM the Sammer then you are a maniac. 

Can we both agree that Sammer was a better sweeper than Desailly? He won the Balon d’Or playing there and player of the tournament for Euro 96 playing there. His biggest successes were as a sweeper. So it would weaken my team playing Desailly there instead of him unless Sammer was a massive upgrade on Desailly as a DM. And I don’t think he is, in fact I think Desailly was the better player there. 

3 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Sammer the better sweeper and defensive midfielder for me, Dessaily the better CB. 

Neither of them are playing centre back though, so if you had to put one as a sweeper and one as a DM what way would you do it?

9 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

Neither of them are playing centre back though, so if you had to put one as a sweeper and one as a DM what way would you do it?

As I said I have no issue with the set up. I was a little surprised you went Carra late on, but I guess you got to pick from what's there. 

@Sugar Ape I really like your team. However, I reckon it could have been even better if you’d have gone with this:

DM

(Clough pick)

Desailly               (Dalglish CB)

Sammer 

*Edit - Won’t name the players until all picks have been made.

Guest Alex_K

I also think Daglish probably managed another centre back superior to Carragher (who was not Hansen). Very nice team though. Particularly like the Fiorentina homage to Batistuta

6 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

@Sugar Ape I really like your team. However, I reckon it could have been even better if you’d have gone with this:

DM

(Clough pick)

Desailly               (Dalglish CB)

Sammer 

*Edit - Won’t name the players until all picks have been made.

I know who you mean but I really wanted Walker. I think he was a great centre back. 

3 minutes ago, Alex_K said:

I also think Daglish probably managed another centre back superior to Carragher (who was not Hansen)

Think all Dalglish picks have even made so can be mentioned. Assume you mean Lawrenson, I had it between him and Carragher but I like Carra more. 

Edit: In fact all the Clough picks have been made as well. You mean Bremner right? Would rather have Desailly there myself. 

3 minutes ago, Alex_K said:

I also think Daglish probably managed another centre back superior to Carragher (who was not Hansen). Very nice team though. Particularly like the Fiorentina homage to Batistuta

Yep, I was going to pick him but felt Shearer was a better pick for my team

6 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

I know who you mean but I really wanted Walker. I think he was a great centre back. 

Think all Dalglish picks have even made so can be mentioned. Assume you mean Lawrenson, I had it between him and Carragher but I like Carra more. 

I think Lee is still to make his Dalglish pick. Unsure if all the Clough picks have been. Is van Breukelen No2’s Clough player?

10 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

Edit: In fact all the Clough picks have been made as well. You mean Bremner right? Would rather have Desailly there myself. 

No, mate, Dave Mackay.

5 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

I think Lee is still to make his Dalglish pick. Unsure if all the Clough picks have been. Is van Breukelen No2’s Clough player?

Yeah I think so. 

2 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

No, mate, Dave Mackay.

Nah not for me that mate. Much rather have Carragher.

1 minute ago, Tony Moanero said:

No, mate, Dave Mackay.

Dave Mackay over Bremner all day long, though I am surprised at how few Leeds players were taken as Clough picks. Think only Lee took one in Johnny Giles.

Why Dave Mackay hated the picture of him confronting Billy Bremner ...

• Upvote 1

Guest Alex_K
5 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

Ah that's a clever pick if so. Thought he was Beenhakker. Denmark / Holland Euro 92 semi was on the other day starring that very man; god knows how Holland conspired to lose that game. Several Danish players went off injured - including the better Laudrup - and they weren't even due to be at the tournament to begin with.

22 minutes ago, John102 said:

2 World Cups and 6 European Cups in my defence. 

Maybe youre right though. Maybe i should have gone with Des Walker and Dan Petrescu

Yes and no full backs. And two wingers who never played wing back. 

Guest Alex_K

While Clough is in the conversation, looking at that Forest side who run back to back European Cups & on paper they weren't an inch on our team from those 2 seasons. The 79 team was arguably our very best although Forest knocked us out of the competition that year.

8 minutes ago, Alex_K said:

While Clough is in the conversation, looking at that Forest side who run back to back European Cups & on paper they weren't an inch on our team from those 2 seasons. The 79 team was arguably our very best although Forest knocked us out of the competition that year.

Clough's teams were always about the sum of their parts, not the individuals. 

Like Klopp for us now, at that time Clough had all the Forest players singing from the same hymn sheet, so to speak. Everyone knew their role, they were super consistent and would run through walls for their manager, and each other.

An interesting Clough signing, who I was very tempted to pick, came up during my research, and one I never in a million years would have considered to be a Clough player, was Stan Bowles (John Barnes' favourite player when he was younger I might add).

• Upvote 1