You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Manager Draft - Interest Thread

Guest Alex_K

2 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Christ, Thats a very good side but you need to swap two players around surely. 

If you're talking about Desailly then I've already had this argument in another draft on him. He played in central midfield for Milan for years and started, and scored, in a European cup final win there. He's also nowhere near as classy a sweeper as Sammer was.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

If you're talking about Desailly then I've already had this argument in another draft on him. He played in central midfield for Milan for years and started, and scored, in a European cup final win there. He's also nowhere near as classy a sweeper as Sammer was.

If you think that Desailly and Sammer shouldn't be switched then its your grave. 

Guest Alex_K
13 minutes ago, John102 said:

Unprecedented speed this evening.

There was tremendous pent up demand, as Trump might say

6 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

If you think that Desailly and Sammer shouldn't be switched then its your grave. 

Desailly played more games there than Sammer. Not everyone goes on the 98’ World Cup and his time at Chelsea. 

Sammer undoubtedly had the biggest successes of his career winning the European cup with Dortmund and the Euros with Germany playing as a sweeper. And Desailly had his best time at club level playing as a midfielder. 

7FF4EC79-2DF2-4C80-BFEE-F227C7C0B60B.png

79E64F95-6245-4EE6-80CC-4CC98ADFB52D.png

4 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

Desailly played more games there than Sammer. Not everyone goes on the 98’ World Cup and his time at Chelsea. 

Sammer undoubtedly had the biggest successes of his career winning the European cup with Dortmund and the Euros with Germany playing as a sweeper. And Desailly had his best time at club level playing as a midfielder. 

7FF4EC79-2DF2-4C80-BFEE-F227C7C0B60B.png

79E64F95-6245-4EE6-80CC-4CC98ADFB52D.png

Up to you. 

Not sure where they get they're stats for at all. 

Sammer only played a couple of years at sweeper

Not sure how they can say Dessaily played 78 games as a Cb compared to 116 as a DM, he played over 200 games for Chelsea and was barring the odd game a CB every game. He was great for Milan as a DCM anyway as Sammer was a great midfielder through most of his career and slowly started moving further and further back as his career went and a would likely have racked up another few season as Sweeper without injury and Dessaily was never a sweeper

4 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

You can argue which one is best as DM but I don’t know how you can think Desailly would be better suited to a sweeper role than Stammer. He didn’t play there at all. 

I don't think he would, I'm just surprised.  

1 minute ago, Lee909 said:

Not sure where they get they're stats for at all. 

Sammer only played a couple of years at sweeper

Not sure how they can say Dessaily played 78 games as a Cb compared to 116 as a DM, he played over 200 games for Chelsea and was barring the odd game a CB every game. He was great for Milan as a DCM anyway as Sammer was a great midfielder through most of his career and slowly started moving further and further back as his career went and a would likely have racked up another few season as Sweeper without injury

Think they just go by the stats they hold on their site so they may not have his early ones for Dynamo Dresden for example. I didn’t know Sammer won the Balon d’Or until just now in 1996. As a sweeper of course. I don’t think it’s up for debate that Sammer was at his best as a sweeper and Desailly was equally as good in both roles. 

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

I don't think he would, I'm just surprised you didn't go Sammer DM instead of picking a sweeper 

I’m happy with it but I couldn’t have changed it anyway without making my team worse. If I put Sammer in DM I would have had to drop Desailly into Carragher’s place and had someone like Gary Gillespie as a sweeper. 

3 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

I’m happy with it but I couldn’t have changed it anyway without making my team worse. If I put Sammer in DM I would have had to drop Desailly into Carragher’s place and had someone like Gary Gillespie as a sweeper. 

Has Hamman gone? Not sure what your options were but you have done what you are happy with and its still a good side. I'd defo swap Sammer and Desailly though. 

1 minute ago, Sugar Ape said:

Think they just go by the stats they hold on their site so they may not have his early ones for Dynamo Dresden for example. I didn’t know Sammer won the Balon d’Or until just now in 1996. As a sweeper of course. I don’t think it’s up for debate that Sammer was at his best as a sweeper and Desailly was equally as good in both roles. 

It's more them saying that Dessaily played only 70 odd games as a CB from what I can see. 

I don't really have any issue in the line up either way. Stammer was on my list to play DCM if he would have lasted but I was happy enough knowing I could wait and go the route I have with Fabinho and Ballack. 

Just now, Bjornebye said:

Has Hamman gone? Not sure what your options were but you have done what you are happy with and its still a good side. I'd defo swap Sammer and Desailly though. 

Swapping Didi for Dessaily would be nuts. The only benefits would have been me get Dessaily anyway

Guest Alex_K
8 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

It's more them saying that Dessaily played only 70 odd games as a CB from what I can see. 

I don't really have any issue in the line up either way. Stammer was on my list to play DCM if he would have lasted but I was happy enough knowing I could wait and go the route I have with Fabinho and Ballack. 

I very nearly took Ballack when Case was ruled out. Figured though that Callaghan/Khan probably > Ballack/Lawrence as a pairing.

And yes there's a lot of great players left over. Its interesting how many of these played popped up across different managers. You could probably have put together half of the great Milan side of the late 80s, for example, through different manager picks. Shankly & Clough were, of course, resolutely British.

This was probably one of the most epic crops of midfielders we've had. It feels like almost every world class midfielder to play the game outside of the Barca-bunch played for one of these managers at some time or other.