You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Hodgson: John Henry has been been very good for Liverpool

TLW

Roy Hodgson has lavished praise on the Liverpool owner that sacked in 2011 and believes that Jürgen Klopp is the perfect manager to be in charge of Liverpool.

Any Reds fan will tell you that they have tried to blot out Hodgson reign out of the memory bank.

The names of Paul Konchesky, Christian Poulsen, Milan Jovanovic, and Joe Cole send shivers down the spine, and it is clear when you sign players who are either not up to the level required or best is behind them, then the poor results will follow.

image.png

As well as signings and results, it was clear that Hodgson did not ‘get’ Liverpool, misreading the room on many occasions leading to increasing levels of angst in the fanbase.

The writing was clearly on the wall and the tortuous tenure of the veteran manager was ended after just 31 games and was one of the first key decisions made by John Henry and his chief partner Tom Werner.

No doubt it was a humiliating experience for Hodgson and in his own mind would have carried a level of resentment over the whole affair.

But in the clear light of day, Hodgson acknowledges that having not made the decision to appoint him, FSG had a right to go in another direction.

The Echo reported Hodgson as saying:

“At that time no-one was 100% certain on which direction the club would take because of the owner, John Henry, who came in, was obviously looking at the situation and making decisions.

"I think he’s made some very good decisions and been very good for the club.

"He has certainly done with the club what the people of Liverpool want, and I just have to accept my time there was never going to work out, probably because I didn’t get enough good results at the beginning to make John Henry and his partners 100% convinced that the people who chose me – because I wasn’t chosen by them – had made the right choice.”

image.png

The 72 year-old who has been a steadying influence at Crystal Palace after a difficult time as manager of the national team was just as glowing about Klopp.

And tellingly he says that the German knows what makes Liverpool so special.

“There’s no doubt he’s (Klopp) has done a fantastic job. 

“I think his personality, energy and enthusiasm have been massive ingredients at Liverpool. I think the way he has worked so hard to embrace the culture, and make himself aware of not only what Liverpool Football Club is, but what it is to the city of Liverpool, and how the city of Liverpool functions.

“He’s done a fantastic job in that respect. 

“And of course he brought all of the skills he had at Borussia Dortmund and all the things that made him into a top-class coach, and they were the reason why Liverpool went to him in the first place and asked him to be their manager.”

When Liverpool finally raise the Premier League trophy, Hodgson says all parties should rightly be praised for their role that they have undertaken.

”When Liverpool lift the title this year I think that’s going to be a remarkable accolade for him and all the players. 

“But it will also be an accolade for the owners, Henry and (Tom) Werner,  who’ve backed him so well, and enabled him to establish his style of play and bring in the type of players he thought would be important to establish that style of play.

“I’m sure he’d acknowledge the backing he’s needed and deserved, and it’s come up trumps because he’s produced the title, which has been 30 years in the waiting.”

View full article

1 hour ago, TLW said:

probably because I didn’t get enough good results at the beginning to make John Henry and his partners 100% convinced that the people who chose me – because I wasn’t chosen by them – had made the right choice.”

He just gets us. 

Have you ever been out on a date with a girl (or guy. Sexist) who is clearly out of your league. But they’ve just broken up with someone excellent, and suddenly you have the chance to go on a date with them. So, not unreasonably, you do. 

But when you arrive at the date you’re late. Not your fault. Or maybe it is your fault. Ah, fuck it, you’re late, so telling them that it’s not your fault is just waffle and makes a bad start worse. No, hang on, you’re doing so anyway. Shut up you idiot. And then you realise that you’re completely underdressed for where you’ve met her. And it just goes downhill from there...

There isn’t a second date. 

No, me neither. That’s never happened to me. Definitely. But it happened to Hodgson, when he became manager of LFC. So now he’s being asked about that ex-girlfriend, who he dated some years ago, and fair do’s to him for only saying nice things at a time when she would rather forget he ever existed. 

Anyone who sacks Hodgson is alright by me.

He was a rushed appointment by a dying, corrupt regime.  The class of 2008/09 had already lost Hyypia, Alonso and were just about to lose Mascherano (plus a few other very good players) and their replacements - signed with no money - were dogshit.  Hodgson somehow managed to sign even worse players.  He was then left with a starting XI that contained only three top class players: Reina, Gerrard and Torres.  The attacking route of a Reina 40-yard pass to midfield and Gerrard's range of passing to pick out the feet of Torres had proven very fruitful; Hodgson replaced this with Reina punting the ball 90 yards, over the head of Gerrard and somewhere in the vague direction of Torres, thereby nullifying his only three remaining top class players.

An utter skidmark on our history.

• Upvote 1

“I think his personality, energy and enthusiasm have been massive ingredients at Liverpool. I think the way he has worked so hard to embrace the culture, and make himself aware of not only what Liverpool Football Club is, but what it is to the city of Liverpool, and how the city of Liverpool functions”. 

The exact opposite of you, you fucking bellend. 

11 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

“I think his personality, energy and enthusiasm have been massive ingredients at Liverpool. I think the way he has worked so hard to embrace the culture, and make himself aware of not only what Liverpool Football Club is, but what it is to the city of Liverpool, and how the city of Liverpool functions”. 

The exact opposite of you, you fucking bellend. 

Roy's angling for a bigger than usual hug.