You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Pubs Re-Opening

Bjornebye

I've quit. Bit of a wrench after nearly 5 years and a couple of CAMRA awards but given that the bar is small I wouldn't get more than 10 people in it with the reduced footfall and social distancing. I used to take over 6 grand a week. I was paid a weekly retainer plus 20% of turnover. I'd be amazed if it takes a third of that now. 

Since lockdown I've been delivering 5l containers of real ale to peoples houses all over Leeds and it's been incredibly busy. I've really enjoyed having evenings and weekends to myself for the first time in years too. 

The delivery setup has gone to the next level. I've set up a company called The Yorkshire Ale Man. I'm having a web site built, I've got some premises and I'm moving on to metal 5l mini casks which I'll be sending out with DHL nationwide. 

As they say, one door closes and another opens but this was my own decision. I want nothing to do with the shitfest that pubs are going to have to deal with. More hassle than it's worth and I reckon we'll see big localised spikes in infections. 

I still have the app on my phone with which I can access the security cameras in the bar. I was more than a bit stunned on saturday to see an ICU nurse who I know very well and who's been telling everyone there's gonna be another spike, sat drinking in there with her husband. 

• Upvote 25

13 minutes ago, Redder Lurtz said:

I've quit. Bit of a wrench after nearly 5 years and a couple of CAMRA awards but given that the bar is small I wouldn't get more than 10 people in it with the reduced footfall and social distancing. I used to take over 6 grand a week. I was paid a weekly retainer plus 20% of turnover. I'd be amazed if it takes a third of that now. 

Since lockdown I've been delivering 5l containers of real ale to peoples houses all over Leeds and it's been incredibly busy. I've really enjoyed having evenings and weekends to myself for the first time in years too. 

The delivery setup has gone to the next level. I've set up a company called The Yorkshire Ale Man. I'm having a web site built, I've got some premises and I'm moving on to metal 5l mini casks which I'll be sending out with DHL nationwide. 

As they say, one door closes and another opens but this was my own decision. I want nothing to do with the shitfest that pubs are going to have to deal with. More hassle than it's worth and I reckon we'll see big localised spikes in infections. 

I still have the app on my phone with which I can access the security cameras in the bar. I was more than a bit stunned on saturday to see an ICU nurse who I know very well and who's been telling everyone there's gonna be another spike, sat drinking in there with her husband. 

Best of luck. Be good to see the website when you get a chance to get it finished. I’m not far from you and know a good few people who might be interested in this service. 

25 minutes ago, Redder Lurtz said:

Good luck I hope you do well.

1 hour ago, Redder Lurtz said:

Good luck with it and I hope you continue to do well. It sounds like a great concept.

Good luck Redderz. You've made the right move. My Dad has been in the game for years (retired now) and he reckons it will be the worst its ever been for landlords/pub staff over the coming months. 

As for fighting in Tesco Express.... It can happen all too easily. Especially when you get the cunt who skips the queue for the till and goes right over to the self-service with a shit load of ale then proceeds to lean over and ask the woman serving for fags and a lottery while everyone is just stood there like idiots. 

Guest Pistonbroke
6 hours ago, Redder Lurtz said:

All the best in your new venture mate. The older we get, more time with our family and friends becomes more important than cash, especially when you are doing something you have a passion for. 

30 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Good luck Redderz. You've made the right move. My Dad has been in the game for years (retired now) and he reckons it will be the worst its ever been for landlords/pub staff over the coming months. 

As for fighting in Tesco Express.... It can happen all too easily. Especially when you get the cunt who skips the queue for the till and goes right over to the self-service with a shit load of ale then proceeds to lean over and ask the woman serving for fags and a lottery while everyone is just stood there like idiots. 

Liam Gallagher's kid over here

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/liam-gallagher-ringo-starr-court-affray-unlawful-violence-tesco-a9389496.html

So tonight was my first day back in the pub. I wasn't desperate to go, but was looking forward to seeing some of the lads. We went to town and had a table booked for the match. What a pile of shit. So the pub we went to watch the match didn't have half to ale on they should (not even Guinness). Excuses given because of lockdown. And we the food was shit (in a bar where it's normally good) .

Anyway, we took that on thinking it would be better as we moved through the bars in town. But it was all mostly shit. Staff who didn't want to be there with really small footfall everywhere.  Some bars there was a lack of social distancing. Others where we were told off by the doormen for talking to people on the next table. As for this "take your details" thing the bars are supposed to do at the door, the 1st time we were asked to do that was after midnight. All in all aside from seeing mates it was utter shite. I don't intend to get back to town again anytime soon. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, The Gaul said:

So tonight was my first day back in the pub. I wasn't desperate to go, but was looking forward to seeing some of the lads. We went to town and had a table booked for the match. What a pile of shit. So the pub we went to watch the match didn't have half to ale on they should (not even Guinness). Excuses given because of lockdown. And we the food was shit (in a bar where it's normally good) .

Anyway, we took that on thinking it would be better as we moved through the bars in town. But it was all mostly shit. Staff who didn't want to be there with really small footfall everywhere.  Some bars there was a lack of social distancing. Others where we were told off by the doormen for talking to people on the next table. As for this "take your details" thing the bars are supposed to do at the door, the 1st time we were asked to do that was after midnight. All in all aside from seeing mates it was utter shite. I don't intend to get back to town again anytime soon. 

So pretty much back to normal then.

On 12/07/2020 at 01:36, The Gaul said:

Were The Albert, or the Sandon open?

I was going to go out to watch the game tonight (today is the first day Scottish pubs have opened), phoned the boozer to check the F**ball was going to be on & they're not allowed to show sport apparently.

What the fuck?

So if I go to a pub for a pint I'm safe but if some cunt turns Sky Sports on I'll instantaneously get fucking bat AIDS? Bollocks.

1 hour ago, Mook said:

I was going to go out to watch the game tonight (today is the first day Scottish pubs have opened), phoned the boozer to check the F**ball was going to be on & they're not allowed to show sport apparently.

What the fuck?

So if I go to a pub for a pint I'm safe but if some cunt turns Sky Sports on I'll instantaneously get fucking bat AIDS? Bollocks.

They show sport here but I don't think you are allowed to sing or shout. 

2 hours ago, Mook said:

What the fuck?

Be grateful, they knew what was going to happen.

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Anybody been to a Wetherspoons since reopening ?

Are they on a booking basis or a take your chance system.

Cheers in advance

Your taking your chance in normal times in there anyway. 

Years since I've been in here but I've been there a fair few times. 

https://www.dutchnews.nl/news/2020/07/bar-at-centre-of-coronavirus-outbreak-openly-defied-rules-in-facebook-post/

Now over 300 people in quarantine from going there. There's a good chance I'll know some of them as it's the only decent bar in a very small town. Used to know people in there every lunch time then straight after work.