You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Least Favourite Food Regions?

Elite

8 minutes ago, Pidge said:

real ale is great you monster.

A good buddy of mine here is an older ex pat who has opened a couple pubs, brews his own - insisted on doing cask ales with his regular offerings.

He had four handpumps up for a time, doubt he made it through a single keg.

US food is thought to be generic but in the Deep South they have some great dishes. Proper gumbo is excellent, as are deep fried catfish, jambalaya, Louisiana dirty rice, bourbon chicken and po'boys. Plus, they have all those soul food staples like chicken & waffles, collard greens, BBQ ribs, Cajun chicken...

Canada brings us shit like poutine.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Trumo said:

US food is thought to be generic but in the Deep South they have some great dishes. Proper gumbo is excellent, as are deep fried catfish, jambalaya, Louisiana dirty rice, bourbon chicken and po'boys. Plus, they have all those soul food staples like chicken & waffles, collard greens, BBQ ribs, Cajun chicken...

There's quality food all over the US. I think people associate American food as, well, McDonald's and Burger King. It's not really. They don't have a rich history of food (or anything else, those whippersnappers) but there's some tasty stuff. Obviously not the best cuisine in the world, but certainly nothing to turn your nose up at.

9 minutes ago, Hank Moody said:

There's quality food all over the US. I think people associate American food as, well, McDonald's and Burger King. It's not really. They don't have a rich history of food (or anything else, those whippersnappers) but there's some tasty stuff. Obviously not the best cuisine in the world, but certainly nothing to turn your nose up at.

America has great places, The French Laundry is insanely good, as are quite a lot of things in that part of the world including, whisper it, in and out burger. 

There’s loads in New York, which is, again, insanely good, if you can get a table that is. My favourite being an Italian place called Carbone’s, which is so good. 

American food in restaurants is great, it’s the stuff that’s in the cupboards at home that’s the real issue.

London beats any American city for food hands down though because of how open to other cuisines it is.

Just now, Bruce Spanner said:

America has great places, The French Laundry is insanely good, as are quite a lot of things in that part of the world including, whisper it, in and out burger. 

There’s loads in New York, which is, again, is insanely good, if you can get a table that is. My favourite being an Italian place called Carbone’s, which is so good. 

American food in restaurants is great, it’s the stuff that’s in the cupboards at home that’s the real issue.

London beats any American city for food hands down though because of how open to other cuisines it is.

Yeah, variety is very important. Variety and quality. 

3 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

There’s loads in New York, which is, again, insanely good, if you can get a table that is. My favourite being an Italian place called Carbone’s, which is so good. 

I went to an Italian in Midtown. Il Corso it was called (I think) and it was outstanding. 

8 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

You’re an extremely lucky cunt if you’ve ate at the French Laundry. 

2 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Proper Chinese food is very regional. Its pretty good to. I was lucky enough to be at a mates house while his mother in law was there so got to try the proper thing

Ok I'm going to assume she was Chinese? Or are you taking this thread in another altogether seedy direction? 

5 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

You’re an extremely lucky cunt if you’ve ate at the French Laundry. 

Between me and thee I thought it was overrated. Too many things going on like gels and foams that tasted of nothing.

Also, there was a $125 supplement for truffle, which is fucking crazy stuff on top of the already of the charts prices.

I’ve been really lucky and eaten at some amazing places.

On a sad note it looks like the Ledbury will be closing, that place is amazing! 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Between me and thee I thought it was overrated. Too many things going on like gels and foams that tasted of nothing.

Also, there was a $125 supplement for truffle, which is fucking crazy stuff n top of the already of the charts prices.

Was lucky enough to eat at Joel Robuchon’s place with an ex’s dad paying for the food and wine. 

Probably the best food I’ve ever eaten. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Also, there was a $125 supplement for truffle, which is fucking crazy stuff on top of the already of the charts prices.

I went here a few years back and the tasting menu is all stuff like that. Really nice though. Been voted top restaurant in the UK a few times

https://www.lenclume.co.uk