You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Least Favourite Food Regions?

Elite

5 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I remember one season of Hells Kitchen. On the first episode all the chefs had to cook their signature dish. One woman cooked a bowl of gumbo. Ramsey almost spat it at her. He booted her out of the competition in disgust on the spot. It looked fucking awful. 

Gumbo is fantastic and it should surprise no one that Ramsay is a massive Rangers fan.

• Upvote 1

Vancouver has (or did anyways) a restaurant food scene to rival any city in the world.

The ethnic diversity, quality of food, and sheer quantity of options is pretty staggering. You can eat really well and reasonably cheap.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, polymerpunkah said:

Never been there, but I imagine a straight-up old-fashioned Inuit diet would take some adjustment.

Seal blubber, etc.

Went through the "strange foods" alley in Beijing a few years ago and the smell alone was enough to knock a dog off a gut wagon.

They prefer muktaq which is whale blubber (served with soy sauce). 

Bannock is also popular as a modern day adopted traditional food if that makes sense. 

Caribou (reindeer) is the main staple. Regional delicacies are musk ox in the western arctic, Arctic Char is big in Gjoa Haven and lots of lake trout where I used to live. My daughter caught this 25lb one ice fishing a couple of weeks ago

8966C108-B791-4E6D-9528-2913AE779394.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Not surprised most 'Chefs' on them shows are not chefs but just bang average home Cooks or crappy diner Cooks. 

Yeah I don't think most people watch it for the quality if the cooking mate. To be fair a few of the past winners are (or have become) superb chefs. 

4 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Gumbo is fantastic and it should surprise no one that Ramsay is a massive Rangers fan.

Rare for me to like "one of them" but I don't mind Ramsey. I'd hate to know him personally but I used to enjoy The F Word and Hells Kitchen. Got a few of his cookbooks as well and they are decent. 

Canadian cuisine-

poutine - cheese curds, gravy and chips

Tortiere pie- Meat pie with spices and onions from quebec

maple syrup- on pancakes, maple syrup flavoured sausages, maple syrup and baked beans, maple syrup poured on snow and rolled up with a lollipop stick, maple syrup whisky, maple donuts, etc.

beaver tail- pastry fried in shape of beaver tail served with lemon/sugar and probably maple syrup if you want 

peameal bacon- usually served on a bun (no maple syrup)

ketchup flavoured crisps 

Anthony Bourdain did a few shows in Canada (ate seal in Nunavut, Northern Quebec) and when he wasn’t running around with pretentious celebrity chefs he always had a poutine. 

8 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Rare for me to like "one of them" but I don't mind Ramsey. I'd hate to know him personally but I used to enjoy The F Word and Hells Kitchen. Got a few of his cookbooks as well and they are decent. 

Surprising given his football allegiances that’s you allow his cookbook to grace your bookshelf. 

2 minutes ago, Nunavut Patrick said:

Canadian cuisine-

maple syrup- on pancakes, maple syrup flavoured sausages, maple syrup and baked beans, maple syrup poured on snow and rolled up with a lollipop stick, maple syrup whisky, maple donuts, etc.

beaver tail- pastry fried in shape of beaver tail served with lemon/sugar and probably maple syrup if you want 

ketchup flavoured crisps 

Anthony Bourdain did a few shows in Canada (ate seal in Nunavut, Northern Quebec) and when he wasn’t running around with pretentious celebrity chefs he always had a poutine. 

What does The Common Loon taste like? 

Just now, Nunavut Patrick said:

Surprising given his football allegiances that’s you allow his cookbook to grace your bookshelf. 

Its not easy. They are all in a mates garage down south but I used to hide them if my dad came down to stay for the weekend. He would hit the roof. My Dad hates 3 people in this world. r*ngers fans, ian p*sley and the late Gary Rhodes.  

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Nunavut Patrick said:

Canadian cuisine-

ketchup flavoured crisps 

Taste of Quebec

32 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I remember one season of Hells Kitchen. On the first episode all the chefs had to cook their signature dish. One woman cooked a bowl of gumbo. Ramsey almost spat it at her. He booted her out of the competition in disgust on the spot. It looked fucking awful. 

Maybe she didn't have time to do it properly. Broken down it seems like a pretty simple dish (given time), usually the hallmark of a good meal. 

Been meaning to try this at some point:

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Nunavut Patrick said:

They prefer muktaq which is whale blubber (served with soy sauce). 

Bannock is also popular as a modern day adopted traditional food if that makes sense. 

Caribou (reindeer) is the main staple. Regional delicacies are musk ox in the western arctic, Arctic Char is big in Gjoa Haven and lots of lake trout where I used to live. My daughter caught this 25lb one ice fishing a couple of weeks ago

8966C108-B791-4E6D-9528-2913AE779394.jpeg

Do they eat Arctic Roll?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Lee909 said:

North American food just gets shoehorned together in hotdogs, burgers and all the other fast food. 

When broken down regionally though there is some excellent stuff. Mostly hugely influenced by European immigrants or from former slaves and brought in from West Africa. 

Any decent US cheeses?  Considering the variety of the landscapes and the variety of backgrounds the people come from, there certainly should be, but I've never had a chance to find out.

Just now, AngryofTuebrook said:

Any decent US cheeses?  Considering the variety of the landscapes and the variety of backgrounds the people come from, there certainly should be, but I've never had a chance to find out.

There is supposed to be from a few states but don't they have weird laws regarding pasteurised foods? 

I think its more some good cheeses from certain farms rather than types. Unless you want Kraft cheese slices. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Pidge said:

Maybe she didn't have time to do it properly. Broken down it seems like a pretty simple dish (given time), usually the hallmark of a good meal. 

It is fantastic - give it a try and then you can do a jambalaya as well - pretty similar.

Like risotto and paella you have to nail the rice at perfect al dente or it can get a little gummy.

Definitely find proper andoullie and fresh shrimp if you are going to do it.

4 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

It is fantastic - give it a try and then you can do a jambalaya as well - pretty similar.

Like risotto and paella you have to nail the rice at perfect al dente or it can get a little gummy.

Definitely find proper andoullie and fresh shrimp if you are going to do it.

Will do.

Also, real ale is great you monster.

13 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

11 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

There is supposed to be from a few states but don't they have weird laws regarding pasteurised foods? 

I think its more some good cheeses from certain farms rather than types. Unless you want Kraft cheese slices. 

Nothing new under the sun really in the cheese game - much like brewing. 

Lee is right - any quality is mostly about small batch producers which are getting to be like micro breweries over here - very few good ones and the raw milk stuff is the most noteworthy.