You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Klopp: Give us an asterisk because it is the most difficult season ever

TLW

Jürgen Klopp has revealed that he feared that Liverpool’s outstanding season would count for nothing due to the COVID-19 outbreak.

The Football world came to a grinding halt in mid March when leagues was halted and life as we knew it had changed.

This unprecedented situation threw up a number of different scenarios on what would happen next.

Every day seemed to have another proposal, from deciding the league on a points per game basis, neutral venues, expanded top flight with no relegation and the dreaded option to void the whole 2019/20 campaign.

While voiding the league seemed the most ludicrous option, it seemed to have the loudest voices using their own platform to air their grievances, along with opposition fans who could think of nothing better than to deprive the Reds of their deserved triumph.

Klopp was a very dignified presence throughout the hiatus, making it clear that human life was much more important than a game of football.

But speaking ahead of the clash with Everton on Sunday evening, it was clear that the scenario was playing on his mind.

The Mirror reported Klopp as saying:

“I didn't think when we went to lockdown.

“Oh my god, that is our season, we are so close', because it was not important in that moment.

"I became worried in the moment when people started talking about 'null and void' this season because I was like 'Wow'.

“I really felt it physically.

That would have been really, really hard.

"We don't expect to get it as a present so we didn't want to have a points-per-game basis so we were really happy when it was decided we could play again.

“There were moments when some people brought it up from time to time for different reasons but when it was off the table I felt quite relieved.”

While the points per game option was more desirable than voiding, Klopp is just happy that the league is getting decided where it should be, on the pitch.

"If they had done points per game and we couldn't have played then we would have been champions but now we aren't and we have to play for it and that is great, that is how it should be in sports. 

“And now we go for it."

While the null and voiders didn’t get their way, their next crusade has been making sure this season carries an asterisk.

The German says despite not known the term at first, he has viewed it in a positive light and will carry it like a badge of honour.

“My feeling that came up in that moment, more than ever, is that I had to Google the word ‘asterisk’. I only knew the word 'asterisk'.

Jurgen.Klopp-711.jpg

"This is the most difficult year and season to become champions. 100 per cent.

"Whatever it is, it is an interrupted season like has never happened before and whoever will be champions at the end, it will be historical because it is a year that we will never forget.

"Hopefully it is the only year we ever have like this as human beings and as a society because I hope we will find solutions for this kind of stuff in the future.

"It is historic now more than ever. Give us an asterisk. Yes. Do it. 

“Because it is the most difficult season ever and the only difference is there is quite a points gap between us and other the team.

An emphatic response to the naysayers if ever there was one.

View full article

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, aws said:

* = best league title of all time. 

If you are a pure motivational genius like Klopp you must be pretty fucking pleased with a year like this.

Winning the title by such an emphatic margin; yet still having something to prove next year. 

In terms of ensuring all your players maintain their hunger, the (idiotic) idea that the break makes you in any way illegitimate?

He must be absolutely thrilled, Van Dijk, Allison, Mo' - the boys are going to come out gunning in September.

• Upvote 1