You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Great debut, crap (Liverpool) career

Ron B

On 19/06/2020 at 14:21, Scott_M said:

I can only remember him playing once away at Blackburn late in that season. Think we were 3-0 up (Redknapp scores a beauty) and he came on. 

Dundee made a run, somebody played a lofted through ball which hit Dundee on the back of the head and away to safety. He’d have been through on goal as well. 

Was going to tell that tale about Dundee myself. Unless my memory has deceived me most of the away end was pissing themselves laughing. 

• 5 months later...

Nigel Clough. I was really made up we signed him as he was a great clever play a t Forest even though he has no pace and on his debut he was outstanding scoring two great goals,then he just turned utter shite that was until the famous Man Utd 3-3 game in January when we went three down after half hour and then Clough was unbelievable and was the main reason we drew in that game .
And yet after that game  it he turned shite again which was a shame as he was a classy player but he was just more suited to Forest and a also certain Robbie Fowler came into the scene 

• Upvote 1

On 19/06/2020 at 18:13, deiseach said:

I remember Bjorn Tore Kvarme getting off to flying start in his Liverpool career, a 3-0 win over Villa. Before long he was being given the runaround by Danny Cadamarteri

Although even while looking for bad memories from the derby you can't help but stumble upon hilarious Ev memories:

image.png

Wow. Putting the 86 game in there - after which we went on a run and pipped them to the league before doing them in the cup final. Happy memories indeed.

4 hours ago, Mathewbet1 said:

I think Stuart Downing and Joe allen are worth a shout here, good debuts and great first 4-5 games. Flattered there after?

Stuart Downing was garbage. Shocking waste of money. Don’t know what the fuck Kenny was thinking there. I’m fairly sure I saw Joe Allen make his debut as well. A 3-0 hammering away at West Brom. I can’t remember if he was any good or not. I just remember thinking he looked tiny.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Soft Joe said:

Stuart Downing was garbage. Shocking waste of money. Don’t know what the fuck Kenny was thinking there. I’m fairly sure I saw Joe Allen make his debut as well. A 3-0 hammering away at West Brom. I can’t remember if he was any good or not. I just remember thinking he looked tiny.

He was the Welsh Messi. Messi at 10 years old though.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Soft Joe said:

The only argument for signing Downing was so you'd have someone to fire crosses in for Andy Carroll... but then we often played with just one of them on the pitch, sometimes substituting one for the other.   All very strange.

42 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

The only argument for signing Downing was so you'd have someone to fire crosses in for Andy Carroll... but then we often played with just one of them on the pitch, sometimes substituting one for the other.   All very strange.

And often with him and Enrique occupying exactly the same space on the pitch.

Mark González is another one that springs to mind.

Scored a late winner on his debut and I was convinced he was going to be a real superstar for us. From what I remember there was a lot of hype around him because of how well he had played in La liga and how long it actually took for him to be eligible to play for us. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, El Dangerous said:

Erik Meijer, Jean Michel Ferri and Bernard Diomede are gonna be class when they actually make their debuts. 

On an unrelated note, does Gerard Houllier share an accountant with Fat Sam and Piss Stain Pulis?

Ah, ol’ Ged with his highly-feted signings who he quickly lost faith in. 
Barmby, Ziege, and Xavier - have we ever made three more controversial signings in 18 months, still less binned them all off so quickly?

We all loved Titi Camara - even Ged, until he abruptly didn’t.
We were crying out for a left-winger - but decided to leave one we’d signed for several million, and who had a World Cup medal too, permanently on the bench.

We spent years changing Litmanen - barely played him once he finally arrived. 

Just about every big team in Europe was linked with the rampaging central midfielder Igor Biscan. None of them wanted to make him their fourth-choice central defender. 
And I’ll never understand why we signed Dudek and Kirkland on the same day, especially as Westerville remained at the club as a very well-paid third choice keeper. 

And that’s without even mentioning the players who were just crap, like Cheyrou, Diouf, Diao and Ferri. Just bonkers. 

On 12/12/2020 at 06:43, VladimirIlyich said:

He was the Welsh Messi. Messi at 10 years old though.

10 year old Messi was already a genius. Wee Joe was more like a 5 year old Messi, only not as good.

No idea why Brendan thought so highly of him. He probably realised after he signed him for Liverpool that the lad was not going to be good enough for the top, otherwise he'd have brought him to Leicester by now.

11 minutes ago, Frank Dacey said:

Alan Evans got 3 in his first 2 games and then struggled. Frustratingly, he had flashes of brilliance but was never consistent. Got replaced by Keegan, a bit like replacing a damp quib with high explosive.

I seem to recall Aspas having a good pre-season....

it was Alun Frank - his dad probably sired him behind the waltzers in Rhyl.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

Mignolet saved a pen and kept a clean sheet on his debut. I think that season we started by winning 3 straight games 1-0, actually.

We were watching that game in salou and a Sunderland fan stopped my lad and said we’d signed the best keeper in the prem. Didn’t wanna come over as being rude but we were having none of it and boy were we right.