You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Great debut, crap (Liverpool) career

Ron B

I seem to remember Anthony Le Tallec starting quite strongly before being revealed as basically shit. 

If its being extended to youngsters who looked really promising then Christian Nemeth who I believe now plays for "Sporting Kansas City" in the States (and does't feature that regularly for them). Not sure what happened there. 

2 hours ago, clockspeed said:

Google collymore Liverpool debut goal . That's it case closed.

I was in a kebab house when I first saw that on match of the day on tv they had on behind the counter.

I walked off into the night munching donner meat safe in the knowldge our £8.5m man was the real deal  

1 hour ago, Jimmy Hills Chin said:

If I remember rightly we were in for Pallister before he went to the mancs and we got Hysen instead. I spent that first season rubbing utd fans' noses in it as to how we got the better deal. That aged well.

You’re spot on - the hype was that we were going to unveil Pallister, only for Rushie to be unveiled instead. They thought they had Hysén tied up, only for him to come to us instead. 

United spent years trying to sort their defence out under Ferguson, with Bruce being a second choice signing (Terry Butcher was all set to go there from Rangers but then got injured), Pallister and Bruce looking a truly awful combination for their first few months, Mal Donaghy going there for a small fortune from Luton when he was already comfortably into his 30s, Paul Parker also costing huge money but soon being perma-crocked, etc. 

Hysen, by contrast, looked silky for his first year, then his lack of pace was exposed on his second season, and he barely featured at all under Souness in his last term. 

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Dave D said:

I remember Keita had a good game early in the season- so much so that MOTD did a little montage of it and the pundits concluded he would be a big difference for us this season  

"crap Liverpool career"???

After less than 2 years?

25 minutes ago, Grinch said:

I think that was his first start.  Only other memory I have him is him and his missus's woeful fashion sense.

He got a few goals early on in the league, but then kind of fizzled out, got injured and chucked out on loan. Still, he came on a free, you get what you pay for I suppose.

3 hours ago, Alex_K said:

Not quite a debut, but when Moreno in his 2nd game ran the length of the pitch to score against Spurs it looked like we had a young Jordi Alba on our hands as promised. 3-0 win away at Spurs, new signings on the score sheet, looked like life after Suarez wouldn't be so bad after all. How little we knew.

Moreno's the first one who came to mind for me. Might have been the debut or his second game, don't remember. 

Someone who should have had a far better career considering his talent. Not a lot of full backs can do what he did there. 

12 minutes ago, aws said:

Alun Evans. Most expensive teenager ever, really exciting signing, scored on his debut and then his career just slowly fizzled out particularly after a nasty facial injury.

Scored a hat trick against Bayern and in the Everton semi final win , but overall he was underwhelming.

Not sure whether he ever mentally got over the glassing incident in that club in reality.

Worst of it was that we wasted some of the money we received for him on some nonentity from the lower leagues called Keegan.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, sir roger said:

and feel it is a bit harsh on Riera too.

Yeah, he was just bang average. Not good enough, but not terrible. Must have played about 20 times for Spain so can't be that bad.

Left us when he was 28 and just seemed to give up on football. Think he played fewer than another 100 games.

Guest Alex_K
4 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

Yeah, he was just bang average. Not good enough, but not terrible. Must have played about 20 times for Spain so can't be that bad.

Left us when he was 28 and just seemed to give up on football. Think he played fewer than another 100 games.

Motivation must factor into a lot of the underperformances esp. when the margin at high levels of sport is so thin. We were crying out for a decent wide player under Benitez; Riera looked the part in his debut against United then just sort of fizzled out. From memory we ended up with Riera though because we didnt have the extra £10 million for David Silva .. story of the 00s under Benitez a little bit ..

1 minute ago, Alex_K said:

Motivation must factor into a lot of the underperformances esp. when the margin at high levels of sport is so thin. We were crying out for a decent wide player under Benitez; Riera looked the part in his debut against United then just sort of fizzled out. From memory we ended up with Riera though because we didnt have the extra £10 million for David Silva .. story of the 00s under Benitez a little bit ..

He was an out and out winger, which is bit odd for a Spanish player. What we would have done for someone line Mane on that left side.

Imagine adding Salah and Mane to that 2009 side.

Mascherano Alonso

Salah Gerrard Mane

Torres

My word.

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Moreno's the first one who came to mind for me. Might have been the debut or his second game, don't remember. 

Someone who should have had a far better career considering his talent. Not a lot of full backs can do what he did there. 

Myself and @tokyojoe had a beautiful moment to that goal live, instantly proclaiming him the long-term answer to our left back issues.

• Upvote 1