You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Great debut, crap (Liverpool) career

Ron B

Sorting through piles of old stuff, I found a pile of pre-season squad photos from yesteryear. And there he was, a fresh-faced Nigel Clough, Liverpool’s big pre-season signing. 
I was... a bit ambivalent about him at the time to be honest. As a kid Peter Beardsley had been my favourite Liverpool player, and Clough seemed like both a belated and inferior replacement. 
I was quickly staying very quiet about that though; two goals on his debut, two more by the end of August, four wins from five games to put us top of the league. Was the Souness revolution finally going to deliver?

it didn’t, obviously, and Clough’s career just kinda died from there. Those four early goals were half of his tally for the club. He lasted two-and-a-half years for us, but hardly featured at all for the last 18 months of that. And although it’s slightly out of the remit of this post, his entire career continued to nosedive after he left us too.

Souness made worse signings than Clough, who also seems like a good bloke, but none of them made such a brilliant start before revealing themselves as a massive misstep (did Paul Stewart even have one good game for us?). Clough feels like he was the one who started best only to be rubbish though, of all signings by any Liverpool boss. 

• Upvote 1

Collymore - Good first season, shite second. Ultimately a disappointment.

Diouf - Looked like the player we signed from the World Cup before failing to hit a barn door with a banjo. Also a cunt.

Cheyrou - Looked every inch the Zidane comparison v Lazio. Quickly realised he wasn’t. 

Riera - Scored v the mancs, looked decent until about Christmas and then I can’t remember him playing again. 

• Upvote 1

Rossiter - Scuffed one in from 40 yards on his debut and did he ever play again. 

Spearing - Kicked the shit out of Real Madrid in a cameo and that was as good as it got. Everybody was surprised we lost the FA Cup Final against a side who won the CL 2 weeks later when he starting that game in midfield...

Riera is a really good shout. I thought he would be very good for us after his first game or two but he just never was. 

Collymore should have done so much better here. Could and should have been one of the best the league has seen. 

Sean Dundee. I don't remember his debut but I remember when we signed him I had no idea who he was but I was convinced he would be the best player on the planet. 

Just now, AngryofTuebrook said:

El Hadji Diouf scored twice on his debut. 

The massive useless cunt. 

Was at that game. Thought he was going to be fucking great for us.  Turned out he was a fucking great twat for us. 

• Upvote 1

Guest Alex_K
49 minutes ago, John102 said:

Plessis

Countless young players

Just looked Plessis up. Plays in the French 3rd Division now. 2007 he plays for Liverpool at age 19; by age 24 he quite literally can't get a game for Doncaster Rovers. What's that all about.

Jon Otsemobor looked like he might be a decent full back. Nope.

Josemi. Man of the Match at Spurs I believe. That was as good as it got.

Didn't Abel Xavier score on his debut away in a 6-0 win at Ipswich?

The Plessis shout is a good one. I'd been watching him in the ressies for a couple of years and he was usually shite. He was a stroller, used to just amble around not doing much. That day at Arsenal though he was tremendous.

55 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Sean Dundee. I don't remember his debut but I remember when we signed him I had no idea who he was but I was convinced he would be the best player on the planet. 

Don't know if it was his debut or not (think it was) but he came on as a sub against Leicester and was horrendous. He lost a 10 yard race to Frank Sinclair despite having a 5 yard start.

He didn't get any abuse as most of the crowd were actually laughing at him.

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

I can only remember him playing once away at Blackburn late in that season. Think we were 3-0 up (Redknapp scores a beauty) and he came on. 

Dundee made a run, somebody played a lofted through ball which hit Dundee on the back of the head and away to safety. He’d have been through on goal as well. 

• Upvote 1

Guest Alex_K

Not quite a debut, but when Moreno in his 2nd game ran the length of the pitch to score against Spurs it looked like we had a young Jordi Alba on our hands as promised. 3-0 win away at Spurs, new signings on the score sheet, looked like life after Suarez wouldn't be so bad after all. How little we knew.

Was sitting in paddock half way line.  Ball played from lb over to Titi noone near him and I mean nowhere near ,traps the ball back to goal beautifully absolute feather bed of touch, turns to go towards goal and passes ball out of play for throw in. My main wtf just happened there moment. However I loved the man scored some crackers .

Am i being too harsh in asking the question here/suggesting about Glenn Hysen?

I was at Wembley for his debut in the charity shield and he looked imperious.

I remember after the game John Smith replying to someone saying 'That Hysen lad was boss' by saying 'Well he is the captain of Sweden you know'.....

He was pretty good first season and played a lot in that league winning team in Jocky's absence - but it all just petered out a bit after that didn't it....he wasn't young when we signed him i suppose, but still just felt could/should have been more....

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Was at that game. Thought he was going to be fucking great for us.  Turned out he was a fucking great twat for us. 

I was at that game for his goals, then got ejected.

A friend of a friend of a friend had sold us the tickets, because he'd bought them and couldn't use them.  Twat then called the club and got a refund; the club re-sold the seats, so we were out on our arses.  Fortunately, the people who had bought the new tickets turned up late, so we were able to see some of the game, at least.

4 minutes ago, an tha said:

Am i being too harsh in asking the question here/suggesting about Glenn Hysen?

I was at Wembley for his debut in the charity shield and he looked imperious.

I remember after the game John Smith replying to someone saying 'That Hysen lad was boss' by saying 'Well he is the captain of Sweden you know'.....

He was pretty good first season and played a lot in that league winning team in Jocky's absence - but it all just petered out a bit after that didn't it....he wasn't young when we signed him i suppose, but still just felt could/should have been more....

If I remember rightly we were in for Pallister before he went to the mancs and we got Hysen instead. I spent that first season rubbing utd fans' noses in it as to how we got the better deal. That aged well.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Jimmy Hills Chin said:

If I remember rightly we were in for Pallister before he went to the mancs and we got Hysen instead. I spent that first season rubbing utd fans' noses in it as to how we got the better deal. That aged well.

Mancs were on verge of signing Hysen as well....