You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Richarlison: Van Dijk is not in the best three defenders in World Football

TLW

Everton star Richarlison has added a extra level of spice to the Derby on Sunday evening by saying that he does not place Virgil Van Dijk in the top three defenders currently in World Football.

Van Dijk has had a transformative impact on the Liverpool defence since his arrival in January 2018, making those around him better players while taking his own game to the next level.

In his time with the Reds, Van Dijk has won the PFA player of the year, UEFA Men’s Player of the year, UEFA Defender of the season and good judges believed he was the best player in the world in 2019, but was pipped to the Ballon d’or prize by Lionel Messi.

Add to that list the number of team honours that he has played a big part in over the past two seasons but despite this, the Brazilian forward does not place Van Dijk in the top echelon of defenders.

vandijk1_600.jpg

Metro via Desimpedidos reported the 23 year-old who has scored 12 goals for the Blues in 2019/20 as saying:

“People talk a lot about him, yes he is a great defender but I’ve already dribbled past him. 

“He was chosen as one of the top three in the world as he had an excellent season.

“But yes, for me there are better defenders.' 

When asked to name those players, Richarlison said:

‘Thiago Silva, Marquinhos and Sergio Ramos.’ 

Perhaps there is a bit of bias in that two of those players mentioned are countrymen of Richarlison.

No doubt some Blues fans would relish that kind of confidence in one of their players, while at the same time trying to downplay the impact of a key rival.

But it remains to be seen if Carlo Ancelotti would think the same as the veteran manager will realise that you don’t need to give great players any extra motivation before meeting in a big game.

In terms of what Big Virg would think about it all?

Probably a wry grin and a shrug of those imposing shoulders.

As cool as you like.

View full article

He won't end up with quite the body of work of Baresi or Beckenbauer, he was still playing in Scotland at 23 and for Southampton at 25 after all, but ability wise he's probably the best centre back to have ever played the game.

Thiago Silva is 75 years old, and Marquinhos is such a solid centre back that PSG, in a pub league, have often played him in midfield. 

Koulibaly is miles better than both (and Ramos) and Van Dijk is considerably better than he is.

The fucking microcephalic headed diving nonce.

• Upvote 3

He has that look in his entitled face of incredulous outrage when a perfectly good decision is given against him or Everton that reminds me exactly of that colossal wanker Giggs. The how dare you not give the decision to me look. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, LFC 6 Times said:

He’s right yeno, for me it’s 1. Tony Hibbo, 2. Yerry mina and 3. Joseph Yobo.

"Lad though I'm being serious about Mina. He's been proper unlucky with injuries lad but get this lad right he went like this to Kane after abar 2 minutes lad right lad (mimics shove) and swear to god lad Kane didn't want the ball he didn't want the ball. Lad he didn't want the ball. Mina had him off lad. Telling yer now Mina lad he walks into that libpool side lad and you'd see how good he is lad he is better than Van Dijk FACT lad FACT I'm telling yer. Van Dijk had it written into his contract that he had to live near a nursery" 

2 minutes ago, Remmie said:

He has that look in his entitled face of incredulous outrage when a perfectly good decision is given against him or Everton that reminds me exactly of that colossal wanker Giggs. The how dare you not give the decision to me look. 

He pulls the same face that a hundred little wannabe hard calls pull at every other lad down Concert Square in town every weekend. Just stand there surrounded by 10 mates staring at the weakest looking lad they can find. 

That’s the team talk done 

I always remember  Ossie Ardiles wrote an article before a FA Cup tie and the headline from it was “Three reasons why we’ll beat Liverpool” .
Bob Paisley later said I just walked in the dressing room pinned it on the board and walked out .