You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Favourite food regions

Lee909

21 minutes ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

I like Italian but it's just a bit boring at times, isn't it? Best has to be Indian style. So much flavour and texture in all types of Indian foods. Goat curry is lovely and Naan bread is the best in the world. 

Garlic nan wrapped round a dollop of tikka masala is one of the greatest things in the solar system. 

• Upvote 2

I don't mind curry but I can't have it often, I find it much of a muchness. I'd find an Indian buffet pointless, whereas I wouldn't with a Chinese. 

Also, how come Indian meals are so different from one restaurant to the next? In one place a rogan josh can look like its been doused in red paint, in another it's brown, full of veg and far hotter. I can't be doing with it. 

Note: I realise I'm not referring to proper Indian food here, just a savage northern Brit's interpretation of it.

Love Indian food - we have curries probably 3 times a week. We also have quite a bit of Italian food, pasta dishes and risottos. Looking at the bookshelf, it seems to be largely Indian and Italian books. Japanese food is always really good as well - have been to a few restaurants now and am working my way through some of the recipes in a book my wife gave me last year.

9 hours ago, Tony Moanero said:

Authentic Italian food is superb. I love a create your own pizza from the Asda, but reckon Dr. Oetker would be next level. They serve his pizzas in real Italian pizzerias, don’t you know.

This. 

I will say that authentic American BBQ is amazing. When done slowly in smokers it’s heaven on Earth. And can be served with tangy baked beans and oil and vinegar coleslaw. 

Indonesian food- had a couple of Indonesian meals in Holland and was fantastic. Mate of mine went to Indonesia as his brother was getting married an couldn’t stop talking about the food. Satay!

Agree with Georgian food and wine as one of the lesser known food regions. Each region of Georgia has its own style of Khachapuri which is a bit like a pizza but with no tomato, they also do these great dumplings called Hinkali. Really cool holiday destination actually, had my honeymoon there and my wife and I had meals bought for us by strangers 2 days running. 

Khachapuri:

Khachapuri-Georgian-Flatbread_3.jpg

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, Nunavut Patrick said:

I will say that authentic American BBQ is amazing. When done slowly in smokers it’s heaven on Earth. And can be served with tangy baked beans and oil and vinegar coleslaw. 

Indonesian food- had a couple of Indonesian meals in Holland and was fantastic. Mate of mine went to Indonesia as his brother was getting married an couldn’t stop talking about the food. Satay!

I was enjoying your description of US BBQ food until you mentioned beans. What kind of sicko are you?

• Upvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke

I like the Balkans cuisine, after that I'd say Greek or Indian, can't make my mind up though so I'm having 3 choices. 

Just now, lifetime fan said:

Yes. I’d say it’s clearly the best in the world. 

Either that or Japanese, both being streets ahead of anywhere else.

My personal preference being Japanese, but a provencal lunch with a bottle of something cold and crisp is one of life’s true pleasures.