You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Favourite food regions

Lee909

So what's everyone's favourite regions for food?. 

Going through my cookbooks tonight. Wondering if you were limited to only eating food from a couple of regions what regions would they be. 

Been looking through alot of books and programmes with Sean Brock covering the American South. 

Love the flavours of North Africa and Arab states, Israel and Palastine. 

• Upvote 1

Anyone watch remarkable places to eat on BBC2? It was Marrakesh tonight, looked absolutely badass.

Got a lot of love for Algarvian food. Recommend a Cataplana If you ever go. Small fish on coals like sardines & Carapau, and cold beer, you can’t beat it.

Fuck knows what people eat when they come on holiday here.

Really depends on my mood. For years I'd have Chinese food out in-front but Italian probably beats it now. I do like really hearty French food. Indians are superb obviously. 

We probably never really class it as regional food but a big fuck off American burger or hot-dog will do. 

• Upvote 1

Bit of a food Philistine to be honest. I don't really know enough about different foods to say. Love rice,pasta,chicken and smoky flavoured meats like chorizo and similar. Don't like stodgy savoury stuff that has become UK tradition though. If I never had another roast in my life I wouldn't miss it. We do great desserts in the UK. Trifle,apple crumble/pie and custard,home made rice pudding,spotted dick,jam roly poly.

Not necessarily my absolute favourite but adding as all the usual suspects will be taken.

I’ve tried Georgian food a few times and it’s always been really nice. Fairly simple cuisine but full of flavour and the bread they give you when eaten in restaurants is lovely.

• Upvote 1

Italian and Thai - both suitable for mostly vegetable based diets to suit us.

Plenty of vegetables, rich sauces, fresh fish, cured meats, pizza and pasta from Italy. Our tatty old, traditional Italian pasta sauce cookbook is the most used in our house and making use of fresh produce from the garden (tomatoes, spinach, onions, garlic, basil, broccoli, etc) enhances that. Plus, wine and grappa!

I love the diversity and freshness of good Thai food and the mix of flavours - still honing my skills with that cuisine but always my first choice if we're going out.

12 minutes ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

I like Italian but it's just a bit boring at times, isn't it? Best has to be Indian style. So much flavour and texture in all types of Indian foods. Goat curry is lovely and Naan bread is the best in the world. 

I guess anything can be boring after a while. Italy has such variety and so much if it is based on fresh, quality ingredients that I find plenty to keep it interesting. Even just pasta - we have this well this well thumbed book of 100+ sauce recipes and we've tried about 20 of them! Admittedly that's partly because my wife is pescetarian so that rules out the meat based recipes.

• Upvote 1