You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Gerrard: Klopp deserves a statue while he is still manager of Liverpool 

TLW

The value of statues have been in the news of late and Steven Gerrard has added his voice to the debate albeit in a positive sense.

The Liverpool legend and current Rangers manager believes that Jürgen Klopp has currently done enough to stand among the greats of the club.

Klopp has been a transformative figure since his arrival on Merseyside in October 2015, steadily turning around a club who were suffering a deep malaise into a major European powerhouse breaking many records along the way.

The Mirror (via The Athletic) reported Gerrard as saying:

“When you look at the scale of the job he’s done, for sure he deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as those iconic managers.

“What you need to take into consideration is that when Jurgen took over Liverpool they weren’t close to being the best team in the country, they weren’t even in the top four.

“To come to Liverpool when he did, get to the amount of finals that he has, deliver the sixth European Cup and then deliver the first league title after 30 years…For me, someone like Jurgen should be rewarded now.

While Gerrard believes the German is far too modest to accept the honour, he certainly believes he is worthy.

klopp_pix.jpg

"Knowing Jurgen, he won’t want to be put in that bracket.

“I know what he’s like, he’s humble and respectful.

"It seems like in football we often wait until people get older before their achievements are fully recognised.

“But I know the owners of Liverpool won’t let that happen.

"When Jurgen delivers the league they should already be starting work on a statue of him.”

It certainly is a interesting debate whether to immortalise the manager in bronze at this present time but whenever the time is, Jurgen will stand proudly among the iconic figures of this great club.

View full article

It should happen but when he has left. He would fucking hate that being there while he is still manager and to be honest it would invite ridicule/attention that he and we don't want. 

When he leaves build a big mechanical statue that just towers over the stadium and faces towards Goodison and waves with his big smiling beautiful grin. 

Guest Pistonbroke

Klopp is the kind of bloke who'd rather have a painting/banner on one of the walls within the stadium depicting him and all the players from the squad. He is the bloke who hit the nail on the head when questioned about wealth/social side of life, 'If I'm doing well, then I want everybody to do well.' Class act is our, Jürgen. 

5 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

Klopp is the kind of bloke who'd rather have a painting/banner on one of the walls within the stadium depicting him and all the players from the squad. He is the bloke who hit the nail on the head when questioned about wealth/social side of life, 'If I'm doing well, then I want everybody to do well.' Class act is our, Jürgen. 

He really is a Shankly for our generation. Jammy kids these days when Grandad goes to put a Shankly documentary on. "Its ok Grandad, thanks and all that but we've got our own now" 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Guest Pistonbroke
Just now, Bjornebye said:

He really is a Shankly for our generation. Jammy kids these days when Grandad goes to put a Shankly documentary on. "Its ok Grandad, thanks and all that but we've got our own now" 

Yeah, with Klopp it is also not a show because he's managing a club steeped in working men's traditions, he was the same at Mainz 05 and Borussia Dortmund. Both working men's clubs run similar to our own. 

10 hours ago, TLW said:

The value of statues have been in the news of late and Steven Gerrard has added his voice to the debate albeit in a positive sense.

The Liverpool legend and current Rangers manager believes that Jürgen Klopp has currently done enough to stand among the greats of the club.

Klopp has been a transformative figure since his arrival on Merseyside in October 2015, steadily turning around a club who were suffering a deep malaise into a major European powerhouse breaking many records along the way.

The Mirror (via The Athletic) reported Gerrard as saying:

“When you look at the scale of the job he’s done, for sure he deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as those iconic managers.

“What you need to take into consideration is that when Jurgen took over Liverpool they weren’t close to being the best team in the country, they weren’t even in the top four.

“To come to Liverpool when he did, get to the amount of finals that he has, deliver the sixth European Cup and then deliver the first league title after 30 years…For me, someone like Jurgen should be rewarded now.

While Gerrard believes the German is far too modest to accept the honour, he certainly believes he is worthy.

klopp_pix.jpg

"Knowing Jurgen, he won’t want to be put in that bracket.

“I know what he’s like, he’s humble and respectful.

"It seems like in football we often wait until people get older before their achievements are fully recognised.

“But I know the owners of Liverpool won’t let that happen.

"When Jurgen delivers the league they should already be starting work on a statue of him.”

It certainly is a interesting debate whether to immortalise the manager in bronze at this present time but whenever the time is, Jurgen will stand proudly among the iconic figures of this great club.

View full article

Sickening.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

It should happen but when he has left. He would fucking hate that being there while he is still manager and to be honest it would invite ridicule/attention that he and we don't want. 

When he leaves build a big mechanical statue that just towers over the stadium and faces towards Goodison and waves with his big smiling beautiful grin. 

Everton will be at Bramley Moore by then won't they??? 

Not while he's still the manager. He needs to leave a lasting legacy a la Shanks, Sir Bob and The King before any thought about erecting a statue in his honour. Agree that Kenny needs a statue first, though hopefully that is a long long way off because the ones who have a statue had already passed away!