You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Featured: That was the week that was (Jun 9-15 2020)

tlw content

theweekthatwas.jpg

Tuesday Jun 9:

Harvey Elliott is signing a pro deal. Only three years, which seems a little odd, but probably nothing to be alarmed about as the kid is a fanatical Red and won’t want to play anywhere else, and judging by the way Pep Ljinders talks about him (our ‘little diamond’) it’s clear how much the staff love him. For him to get games though something needs to give. 

Shaq will go (assuming he ever gets over this fucking calf injury), but Harry Wilson might be lined up to take his place in the squad, which would leave Elliott’s position unchanged really. The games that remain in this season might be a useful exercise for him if Klopp can get him some minutes, because if he lights it up then you’d think we’ll probably sell Wilson and fast-track Harvey. Personally I want to see Wilson have at least one year with us to see what he can do, as he deserves that opportunity.

Andy Lonergan is signing a short term extension too, similar to the one Lallana penned. He’s not going to play but this is only right I think. He’s been a part of the squad, training every day and building a rapport with the other keepers. 

Not sure whether he’ll get a medal without playing any games, but I suspect he will because that’s how Klopp operates. He’ll probably get a shitload of medals made for everyone, I reckon Carol and Caroline will get them too. A far cry from the farce after Istanbul when the likes of Mellor and Sinama-Pongolle didn’t get medals (even though it would never have happened without their contributions against Olympiakos) and Rick Parry said nothing could be done about it. 

I never understood that. If UEFA won’t give extra then just pay someone to make them replicas that look exactly like the real thing. Pisses me off that those lads had to make do with runners up medals that Pellegrini cultured from the Milan dressing room for them.

Meanwhile, it’s reported that some progress has been made in talks with Gini over an extension. Hope so, but recent history has shown us that nobody really has a clue where contracts are concerned. The first we usually know is when they’re signed, and everything is dealt with in house and on the down low. I remember being more than a little concerned that Sadio hadn’t signed anything, and then just like that out of nowhere the club are announcing it on social media.

On the face of it there’s no reason for Gini to want to leave, but after this season he’ll have won the Premier League title and the Champions League and might feel like he’s done everything he needs to here and that he fancies a change. He could easily play for either of the big two in Spain if he wanted and for his contract to have run down to this point you have to wonder if that’s in his mind. Real and Barca are on the decline though (Barca will be screwed when Messi's legs eventually go). Worth keeping that in mind, Gini.

I hope he stays as he’s a good player and a sound fella but if he doesn’t I’m not at all concerned about how we will replace him, because other than Alisson and Van Dijk I reckon Klopp would be able to go out and replace anyone else if he needed to. Oh, and Robbo, obviously. No-one can replace him. Not in my heart anyway.

Wednesday Jun 10:

Having agreed a deal for Werner, Chelsea are now favourites to land another one of our reported targets. Kai Havertz seems to be the bright young hope of German footy and every top club in Europe is looking at him. Not sure we’ll pay the £75m asking price if money really was the reason we didn’t go for Werner though.

The more I think about that, I don’t think that was the case. I mean, obviously it IS about money, but I don’t think it’s that we don’t have £50m to spend. I reckon there’s money there and Klopp decided he didn’t want to spend the bulk of it on Werner. Maybe he’s got someone else lined up and knew he couldn’t get both? Who that someone might be I don’t know. Could be Havertz I suppose, but maybe it’s Sancho?

I’ve seen hardly anything of Sancho so I’m not going to bang the drum for us signing him, but what I would say is that I’d much rather we sign a player like him (skilful, creative, goalscoring wide player) than a player who doesn’t really fit with how we play (Werner). Maybe we don’t have anyone lined up and won’t be spending any money because of the corona effect. I’m not ruling that out, but we’ve got a number of players that we could sell to raise cash (Lovren, Shaq, Wilson, Grujic etc) so I have a hard time dealing with the notion that the well has run completely dry.

After some initial reports that the derby was going to be played at Southampton it has now been confirmed it will be at Goodison. I’m glad, even though it would have been hilarious if we’d won the title at St Mary’s after buying half their team. While there’s a chance we could win it at Goodison (come on, Arsenal!) I’m all in on that just because the sad bitter bastards have been trying to claim that we ‘lost’ the title at the Pit last season when we drew with them.

So yeah, here’s to an Arsenal win at the Etihad and then our lads winning the title at the Pit, thus ensuring Goodison lives up to it’s name as “the home of the Blues”. Make it so.

This is just a teaser, click to view the full article

Please note that the Week that Was is only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• dave u pinned this topic

Totally agree about the Shrewsbury guy, what a weirdo!

Also, yes, we do get less tolerant as we get older. I’m shocked myself, I thought it would be the other way too. I think we’re less prepared to put up with shit situations or people, we know what we want and can’t be doing with putting up with less.

I’m still not keen about having Phil back...

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, sir roger said:

Agree with Dave and Suzy , I used to be the life and soul of the party and have turned into Victor Meldrew. Had a friend doing a Zoom meeting call for her 50th a week or two back and just sent a text saying my wifi was playing up.

Haha! Someone was saying they hate these zoom quizzes as you couldn’t pretend you were going out to avoid them!

• Upvote 1

I tell you a signing is like to see us try and make happen. That Sarr lad at Watford.

He’s raw as hell, but looks a real threat at times, and he’d suit our play style and surely wouldn’t cost much. 

Sadio would be like an older brother to him too, like he was after he missed those sitters at anfield earlier in the season.

he might never make a top player, but he’s pretty young isn’t he?

• dave u unpinned this topic