You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Marcus Rashford

2 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Expecting football fans from Manchester,Stoke,Sunderland etc to realise the irony of mocking other fans for living in poverty is giving those fans way too much credit. It's exactly why loads vote Tory,UKIP,BNP and so forth. The game has been designed by the marketing executives to be more tribal without caring about the consequence and only caring about selling tv subscriptions,club merchandise and season tickets.

Mocking people for living in poverty is really beyond belief. I wouldn’t even call it insulting, just plain stupid. If insulting, they’re insulting themselves, screaming to all the world, “I’m an idiot, I don’t have any social conscience, my mind can’t comprehend anything more complex than my next pint.

9 hours ago, JustTosh said:

Mocking people for living in poverty is really beyond belief. I wouldn’t even call it insulting, just plain stupid. If insulting, they’re insulting themselves, screaming to all the world, “I’m an idiot, I don’t have any social conscience, my mind can’t comprehend anything more complex than my next pint.

Exactly my point. It's beyond stupid but this is the world we currently inhabit.

Solskjaer reckons Pogba is "one of the best midfielders in the world".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53099643

He's 27.  He should be at the very height of his powers.  And yet, he wouldn't make our bench.

I don't watch Man Utd, so maybe I've missed it, but I can't recall a single performance in his 143 games for them, where you'd think he'd grabbed the game by the scruff of the neck.

• 2 months later...
On 19/06/2020 at 16:55, AngryofTuebrook said:

Solskjaer reckons Pogba is "one of the best midfielders in the world".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53099643

He's 27.  He should be at the very height of his powers.  And yet, he wouldn't make our bench.

I don't watch Man Utd, so maybe I've missed it, but I can't recall a single performance in his 143 games for them, where you'd think he'd grabbed the game by the scruff of the neck.

Best bit of business they did buying him back at £90m after they let him leave on a free! Truely outstanding by whoever is in charge over there.

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, manwiththestick said:

MBE for calling out the government's ridiculousness. Well done to the lad but should not have needed to do anything.

On the flip side, he stood up and did something, when so many did nothing. Well done to him for that. Doesn't really matter what it is for or against. He deserves it for doing something in the first place.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, DJLJ said:

On the flip side, he stood up and did something, when so many did nothing. Well done to him for that. Doesn't really matter what it is for or against. He deserves it for doing something in the first place.

Oh I agree, I just find it ridiculous that you'll probably have that dickhead prime minister congratulating the lad when he was essentially highlighting  and calling out the tory government.

• 1 month later...

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/nov/16/mail-on-sunday-v-marcus-rashford-a-sinister-attack-on-a-young-black-man?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

The MoS has published an article that is entitled, nappy-grabbing rage, dressed up in sensible clothes. Rashford must sense that he is winning

Marcus Rashford has twice forced the government into a change of heart over free school mealsMarcus Rashford has twice forced the government into a change of heart over free school meals. Photograph: Peter Powell/EPA

•  
  •  
  •  

Perhaps Marcus Rashford knew all along that this was how it might all play out. Or perhaps he will have realised it at some point on the journey: that there would ultimately be a price to pay for putting this many important noses out of joint, for doing so fearlessly and unapologetically, for making too much of a difference. After all, you don’t get to embarrass a Conservative government for free. And on Sunday, Rashford would discover the real consequences of speaking truth to power.

“School meals Marcus’s £2m homes empire,” read the headline in the Mail on Sunday, referring to five properties recently purchased by the Manchester United forward in Cheshire. The “campaigning football star”, we were told, had taken out “mortgages from the Queen’s bank, Coutts, for all five properties”. Meanwhile the authors of the article seemed particularly keen to inform readers that Rashford has begun the process of trademarking his name in the US, and that his own house is worth £1.85m and has six bedrooms.

The first thing to say is that virtually none of this is really anyone’s business. And perhaps, given the gravity of everything else going on in the world now, the temptation will be to leave it at that: to sigh a little sigh, chuckle a little chuckle at the frivolousness of it all and say something trite about tomorrow’s fish-and-chip paper. But read between the carefully arranged lines and something more pernicious and sinister is clearly taking place: a shot across the bows, a reducer challenge, a declaration of hostilities, the first severed thumb in the post.

There remains a curiously quaint view within journalism that we should refrain from criticising our own industry, a trope roughly analogous to “trying to get a fellow pro sent off”. The reality, of course, is that this is a convenient veneer of bullshit dreamed up by those who most benefit from bad journalism being allowed to flourish. And of course there’s plenty of bad journalism about, just as there is bad art, bad law, bad football, bad plumbing. What we so imperfectly describe as “the media” is better understood as a marketplace of competing voices. Many of you, I like to think, are here because we’re not the Mail. Doubtless the reverse is also true.

The Mail on Sunday article isn’t bad journalism, in the sense that it’s brilliantly effective at conveying what it wants. For buried amid the apparent sobriety of the article, its accretion of various random facts (“… it has a smart kitchen and dining area … Rashford, who came from humble beginnings on a council estate … residents include veteran Coronation Street actor William Roache…”), there’s an awful craft at work: a loathing so artfully sheathed you would barely know it’s there.

The juxtaposition of “school meals Rashford” with the “£2m homes empire”. The dog-whistle reference to the “campaigning football star”. The early mention of the player’s age (23). The picture of Rashford himself, frowning in a dark hoodie. Everything here is code, bound up in motifs and subtext, the mood music of sophisticated right-wing distaste. It’s entitled, nappy-grabbing, shit-hurling rage, dressed up in sensible clothes and babbling vaguely about property prices.

This is why it’s pointless attempting to engage with the internal logic of the piece, or indeed much of the criticism of Rashford since he stepped up his campaign during the summer. Trying to extract any sort of cogent argument or legible worldview here is the equivalent of trying to spot secret messages in your morning cereal. An example: on page 123 of the very same newspaper is a financial columnist urging chancellor Rishi Sunak to resist reforming capital gains tax on the basis that it would “deter wannabe landlords”. Yes, the irony feels cussedly satisfying. But hypocrisy is in many ways the least important of the misdemeanours here.

Because, if you take a broader view, the Mail on Sunday’s story is simply the latest escalation of the growing Stop Rashford movement, one begun by right-wing pundits and Conservative MPs on Twitter in recent weeks. Last month the Guido Fawkes website sardonically praised Rashford’s “ability to eloquently and magnanimously oppose verbal attacks on Tory MPs just minutes after the end of a football match”.

The subtext here – that a 23-year-old footballer should not habitually be capable of any of these traits – is familiar enough. And in a way, Rashford is the populist right’s worst nightmare: a young, black, working-class campaigner who bases his appeal not on culture war or tribal loyalty or fiery invective, but on unity, consensus, the common ground. He is a political campaigner who rejects party politics, rejects the idea that conflict and progress are the same thing, indeed refuses to acknowledge that there is anything remotely contentious or left-leaning about wanting hungry children fed. And – coincidence! – he gets things done.

Small wonder this country’s conservative establishment has come to see Rashford not as a fleeting irritation but as an existential threat: a man cheerfully exposing not just the worst privations of government austerity but our own snide and bickering political culture. Small wonder his personal finances and lifestyle choices are now considered fair game. If Rashford is allowed to succeed, who else might follow in his wake? Rashford did not choose this fight. But with unerring precision and a depressing alacrity, it has chosen him. Perhaps there’s something deeply depressing in the treatment of this decent and principled man by a section of the media that has always thrived on conflict, the vindictive urge to tear down, to expose, to disgrace. Rashford, you suspect, would see it as incontrovertible proof that he is winning.

They’ve clearly tried to do a lot of digging on Rashford and it’s telling that the best they can come up with us that he’s bought some houses. He’s going to do something with the money he earns.

Personally though I am cynical about all of this.  I expect to get shot down for it as well.  I think it’s just one big PR stunt.  He was silent at the election when telling people to vote labour would have impacted his own personal tax position negatively and it would have alienated a lot of tories who like him.  It’s a lot easier to tell the current govt they should be doing this and that and specifically saying you aren’t getting drawn into party politics etc.  It felt like the most managed PR episode a footballer has ever had.

It’s like the Xfactor Christmas single.  Every year they would make it a charity single but that Cowell cunt wasn’t doing it because he give a shit he was doing it because it was going to give him more exposure and the money he would lose from that specific single was irrelevant compare to what he would make.  You could never criticise what he was doing even though he was being a cynical cunt because he it was for charity.

The funniest thing about it all is Sterling trying and failing to do the same things.

32 minutes ago, The Guest said:

They’ve clearly tried to do a lot of digging on Rashford and it’s telling that the best they can come up with us that he’s bought some houses. He’s going to do something with the money he earns.

Personally though I am cynical about all of this.  I expect to get shot down for it as well.  I think it’s just one big PR stunt.  He was silent at the election when telling people to vote labour would have impacted his own personal tax position negatively and it would have alienated a lot of tories who like him.  It’s a lot easier to tell the current govt they should be doing this and that and specifically saying you aren’t getting drawn into party politics etc.  It felt like the most managed PR episode a footballer has ever had.

It’s like the Xfactor Christmas single.  Every year they would make it a charity single but that Cowell cunt wasn’t doing it because he give a shit he was doing it because it was going to give him more exposure and the money he would lose from that specific single was irrelevant compare to what he would make.  You could never criticise what he was doing even though he was being a cynical cunt because he it was for charity.

The funniest thing about it all is Sterling trying and failing to do the same things.

Some fair points in there but maybe he just wanted to raise a topic he felt strongly about given his own experiences?

And then he goes and spoils it all by giving The S*n an all exclusive regarding launching his book club 

The ironic thing is if The S*n had printed the Mail's article then the Mail would be doing the book club launch that's the way those rags work one kicks him while the other picks him up back up (for a bit anyway) and vice versa.

But he's only a kid he'll learn in time

It is always the same with the right wing, if you agree you are logical and sou d, if not you are a hypothetical scumbag. Playing the man not the ball.

Poor and condemn Tory. Politics of envy, so should be ignored.

Poor and support Tory. Open and non tribal, so should be listened too.

Rich and condemn Tory. Hypocrite who won't be affected by policies, so should be ignored.

Rich and support Tory. Successful, go getter so should be listened too.

It is almost like there is an agenda whereby agreeing with Tory is good and not is bad.

22 minutes ago, Stickman said:

And then he goes and spoils it all by giving The S*n an all exclusive regarding launching his book club 

The ironic thing is if The S*n had printed the Mail's article then the Mail would be doing the book club launch that's the way those rags work one kicks him while the other picks him up back up (for a bit anyway) and vice versa.

Haven't footballers got managers or agents to advise them on this sort of thing,even family members?

35 minutes ago, Stickman said:

He hasn't given The Sun an exclusive about the book club, the only related link on his twitter is to a Sky article. I mean Sky are cunts too but not in the same league as The Sun.

8 hours ago, The Guest said:

when you hear the lad talking about being hungry and going without food as a kid, i think he comes across as genuine. maybe he is doing it for publicity, but i don't think he really need to do that when he earns £1m per month playing as a striker for one of the most followed football teams on the planet.

And why would you expect him in an election to come out and tell people who to vote for? he's a 23 year old kid (22 at the last election), he shouldn't be telling anyone to vote for anything. he shouldn't have to be political. He just got involved when more and more kids were going hungry as a consequence of the pandemic and he was able to empathise with their predicament and help get food in their mouths. We should be glad there are some footballers left who can show a human side and have their feet on the ground and not blame them for failing to rally support for a political party that was incapable of supporting itself. 

What were you doing when you were 22? i could barely think past my next pint and smelly fanny to put my dick in. In fact nothing much has changed except I watch a bit more CNN. 

• Upvote 8