You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Marcus Rashford

12 minutes ago, sir roger said:

I was more in agreement for his anti-Tory and child poverty work rather than his penalty missing.

And I know it’s a different situation but those boys, because that’s what they are, deserve to feel the support of all decent people too

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Champ said:

And I know it’s a different situation but those boys, because that’s what they are, deserve to feel the support of all decent people too

Those two deserve sympathy for being racially abused by some no mark small people. And when they come to Anfield they deserve to be treated like any other opponent player.

Rashford deserves a standing ovation, not for being racially abused but for his own words and actions.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

Those two deserve sympathy for being racially abused by some no mark small people. And when they come to Anfield they deserve to be treated like any other opponent player.

Rashford deserves a standing ovation, not for being racially abused but for his own words and actions.

I was utterly sickened by what they experienced and if I was there (but I won’t be) I’d want to show them my solidarity (rather than sympathy) before I moved on to treat them ‘like any other opponent.’

We can stand up for more than just one thing

3 minutes ago, Champ said:

I was utterly sickened by what they experienced and if I was there (but I won’t be) I’d want to show them my solidarity (rather than sympathy) before I moved on to treat them ‘like any other opponent.’

We can stand up for more than just one thing

Agree we should stand up against racism. But why should Sancho and Saka be treated any different than all other players that have been racially abused? 

I do see that they are more high profile victims, and making some noise to support them would probably be noticed more for that reason. If that’s your point, fair enough, but I really dont see what this has to do with acknowledging Rashford for what he did. Those two did nothing remotely similar as far as I know.

25 minutes ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

Agree we should stand up against racism. But why should Sancho and Saka be treated any different than all other players that have been racially abused? 

I do see that they are more high profile victims, and making some noise to support them would probably be noticed more for that reason. If that’s your point, fair enough, but I really dont see what this has to do with acknowledging Rashford for what he did. Those two did nothing remotely similar as far as I know.

Yeah, ok, my comment was probably for a different place and I don’t want to be derailing the thread further.

Nothing but admiration for Marcus Rashford and the way he conducts himself 

• Upvote 1

I think he’ll have the perfect response…

SPIKED: Last night Manchester United footballer and free school meals savior Marcus Rashford tweeted: “Just heard @spectator are planning to run a story on me tomorrow about how I have benefitted commercially in the last 18 months.” Rashford insists the majority of any fee he receives from his commercial partnerships goes on his work helping children. That would appear to be a pretty decent defense: Rashford topped the Sunday Times giving list this year, after donating £20 million to good causes — 125 percent of his wealth.

30 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

SPIKED: Last night Manchester United footballer and free school meals savior Marcus Rashford tweeted: “Just heard @spectator are planning to run a story on me tomorrow about how I have benefitted commercially in the last 18 months.” Rashford insists the majority of any fee he receives from his commercial partnerships goes on his work helping children. That would appear to be a pretty decent defense: Rashford topped the Sunday Times giving list this year, after donating £20 million to good causes — 125 percent of his wealth.

125% of his wealth? Is that a misprint?

5 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

No, he gave away more than he brought in.

I assume there are caveats in that.

Yeah. I thought 'wealth' meant everything you had at a particular time therefore 100 per cent was everything you had. Maybe 'earnings' would have been a more appropriate word in Rashford's case?

1 hour ago, Grinch said:

They’re counting money he raised for charity.  It was never his wealth to give away.

pretty daft to be putting his own personal wealth beside it.

Yeah. I'd love to see the percentages on local news stories about 9 year-olds who raise a few grand for charity. 

1 minute ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Yeah. I'd love to see the percentages on local news stories about 9 year-olds who raise a few grand for charity. 

It shouldn’t come into it at all.  His personnel wealth has fuck all to do with the great work he’s doing.

• Upvote 2

On 01/02/2021 at 22:04, coachpotato said:

I don’t think it would have been out of place for Rashford to be given a standing ovation at Anfield, had fans been allowed in.

Some things transcend football rivalry.

He’s shown up politicians for what many of them are, and he’s made them eat humble pie.

Fair play to the kid.

This should be a thing. Bring on some good ol gesture politics

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Would anyone actually care if he did make something for himself from his work?

Stories like this say everything about their authors and their nasty minds and nothing about their subject.

Like Stronts said, they’ve deeply misjudged this one and that again tells its own story

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Grinch said:

It shouldn’t come into it at all.  His personnel wealth has fuck all to do with the great work he’s doing.

Along with the great work all the MP's are doing they should report their personal wealth but also all the second home grants, travel and hospitality expenses they declare.