You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Players You Don't Recall Playing For Certain Clubs

Bjornebye

1 hour ago, Tony Moanero said:

Lee Sharpe - Sampdoria

60F7287F-448A-4D98-B510-6D1E7F09E75D.jpeg

Ah, there’s a player who pissed it up the wall! In the England team at 19, three league titles (two of them doubles) and the Cup Winners Cup when he was barely 25, playing for Exeter by the age of 31. 

On 15/06/2020 at 17:08, AngryofTuebrook said:

Yeah, Paul Ince playing for Liverpool - best forgotten.

I’ve always had mainly negative memories about his time here, but I was so excited as a kid when we signed him. The missing piece of the jigsaw supposedly.

Just watching a programme about his career on sky and he comes across much better than I either remember, or perhaps I have adopted that attitude because of the constant slaying he takes for being a tit, mainly from people who were playing with him at Liverpool at the time, but it sounds like he was trying to instil the professionalism into that team that was missing.

Anyway, just thought I’d share my revised opinion of him. 

1 hour ago, belarus said:

I’ve always had mainly negative memories about his time here, but I was so excited as a kid when we signed him. The missing piece of the jigsaw supposedly.

Just watching a programme about his career on sky and he comes across much better than I either remember, or perhaps I have adopted that attitude because of the constant slaying he takes for being a tit, mainly from people who were playing with him at Liverpool at the time, but it sounds like he was trying to instil the professionalism into that team that was missing.

I thought he was a very good DM for England and Inter. I didn’t understand why we played him as an AM, and still don’t. 

4 hours ago, aRdja said:

I thought he was a very good DM for England and Inter. I didn’t understand why we played him as an AM, and still don’t. 

Really? I only ever remember him playing as a traditional centre mid - in a midfield 2, usually with redknapp.

6 hours ago, belarus said:

Ince instilling professionalism? Houllier bombed him out for being a cunt as Ged didn't think Ince was acting professionally himself.

Just now, VladimirIlyich said:

Ince instilling professionalism? Houllier bombed him out for being a cunt as Ged didn't think Ince was acting professionally himself.

Yeah, he was defo billy big bollocks, but I think the jist was that when he first arrived he was demanding more from the rest, on and off the pitch.

Just been revisiting some of the games round that time - if we could have sorted the back 4 and keeper, we’d have waltzed the league a couple of times.

46 minutes ago, belarus said:

Yeah, he was defo billy big bollocks, but I think the jist was that when he first arrived he was demanding more from the rest, on and off the pitch.

Just been revisiting some of the games round that time - if we could have sorted the back 4 and keeper, we’d have waltzed the league a couple of times.

I don't claim to know this as a fact or anything but even if Ince was trying to do that and for good reason, you know he'll be going about it like a massive bellend.

3 hours ago, The Golden Eel said:

I don't claim to know this as a fact or anything but even if Ince was trying to do that and for good reason, you know he'll be going about it like a massive bellend.

Yeah, this is my encompassing opinion of him over the years too. Was just a bit of a different angle of him on that proggy and it surprised me. He came across really well and quite likeable. It went into all the nasty stuff that cunt Ferguson said publicly about him, but showed Ince taking it very well, and even remaining friendly with him.

He also said how the “guvnor” nickname came about and it wasn’t as derision-worthy and self proclaimed as we were always led to believe. Something about him and his mates used to say it when they’d make a decent shot playing snooker, then at training when he was a lad he scored a goal and did it there, and then all the staff started using it taking the piss out of him and it stuck. Not exactly the “call me the guvnor” stories I’d heard about him saying to young players when he arrived met them.

And just because Houllier bombed him doesn’t mean much to me - he dragged us into a more professional outfit and we picked up some trophies along the way, but after 2002 the football was shite and I never really warmed to Ged personally - he made plenty of mistakes like. Rafa was the step or two above him and I think he would have kept and used someone like Ince. He dealt with those characters - Bellamy for example, brought Robbie back too, which irrelevant of other people’s opinions, I’ll never forgive Houllier and Thommo for getting rid of him.

11 hours ago, belarus said:

Yeah, this is my encompassing opinion of him over the years too. Was just a bit of a different angle of him on that proggy and it surprised me. He came across really well and quite likeable. It went into all the nasty stuff that cunt Ferguson said publicly about him, but showed Ince taking it very well, and even remaining friendly with him.

He also said how the “guvnor” nickname came about and it wasn’t as derision-worthy and self proclaimed as we were always led to believe. Something about him and his mates used to say it when they’d make a decent shot playing snooker, then at training when he was a lad he scored a goal and did it there, and then all the staff started using it taking the piss out of him and it stuck. Not exactly the “call me the guvnor” stories I’d heard about him saying to young players when he arrived met them.

And just because Houllier bombed him doesn’t mean much to me - he dragged us into a more professional outfit and we picked up some trophies along the way, but after 2002 the football was shite and I never really warmed to Ged personally - he made plenty of mistakes like. Rafa was the step or two above him and I think he would have kept and used someone like Ince. He dealt with those characters - Bellamy for example, brought Robbie back too, which irrelevant of other people’s opinions, I’ll never forgive Houllier and Thommo for getting rid of him.

I have always like Houllier and cannot understand why supporters are so cold towards him. He turned our club around at the time and made us relevant in Europe once again,let alone him almost losing his life while in the job. Yes the football was often pretty terrible but under Rafa it wasn't always great either. Houllier built the platform for Rafa and Rafa improved it quite significantly. I am fond of them both and if Houllier thought Fowler was being a cunt and sold him because of it,fair enough by me.

On 22/06/2020 at 14:04, Jenson said:

Ince will never be forgiven for crying off at Old Trafford in the cup in 99, when we were 1-0 up with 10 minutes left. That was the end of him with us.

I was at that game, but don’t recall what happened there? Hobble off did he?

On 22/06/2020 at 09:39, VladimirIlyich said:

I have always like Houllier and cannot understand why supporters are so cold towards him. He turned our club around at the time and made us relevant in Europe once again,let alone him almost losing his life while in the job. Yes the football was often pretty terrible but under Rafa it wasn't always great either. Houllier built the platform for Rafa and Rafa improved it quite significantly. I am fond of them both and if Houllier thought Fowler was being a cunt and sold him because of it,fair enough by me.

Think the stuff with Evans soured it for me immediately. While Evans had defo run his course here, he deserves credit and respect for what he did in dragging us back into contention, especially with some of the shite we had here during his tenure. Proper old school Liverpool man from the boot room days and a very likeable fella to boot.

I just never warmed to Houllier for some reason. Appreciated what he did here, but never loved him.

I absolutely adored Robbie growing up too, so was always going to resent them getting rid. When Rafa brought him back was the happiest I’ve ever been about football off the field. Seeing that update on the sky news ticker thingio was amazing - was jumping about and cheering. Class from Rafa that.

1 hour ago, Jenson said:

Yeah, asked to be subbed off with a 'knock'. Don't think Houllier ever forgave him either.

That is ringing a bell now. 

Ince lost me as soon as he got bullied by Ferguson in the derby, and instead of sticking it to him, he licked his arse. Having watched him bully us during the 90s I thought Ince would be the one to square up with him. Acted a total shithouse.

On 15/06/2020 at 19:11, Bjornebye said:

steve-finnan-portsmouth-picture-id805467

On 15/06/2020 at 20:15, Jairzinho said:

Who else did Matt Damon play for?

Cant believe no one else did this......

........Bourne not manufactured.

I'm now ashamed that I have just done that, not so ashamed that I wont post it though.

4 hours ago, belarus said:

I was at that game, but don’t recall what happened there? Hobble off did he?

Your have my sympathy. It was hard enough watching it in a horrible pub in Crosby, the Endbutt is where bs Delta taxi drivers go to die.

And when they went 2-1 up in injury time I dropped my full pint of Stella and it smashed in a million pieces on the floor. 

Is it true Liverpool fans were pelted with coins and coffees etc ?