You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Why Julian Nagelsmann could be the perfect successor to Jurgen Klopp 

TLW

5 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

I don't think there is a huge list of decent managers out there anymore. Ancelotti would have been my first choice after Klopp but he's decided to retire and the other managers you would class as "top" are all bellends. 

Guardiola

Mourinho

Tuchel

Simeone 

Just proper tits. 

Tuchel has good ideas about football but his personality is bad. Simeone's football stinks. It will be a non-starter at any top club. Nagelsmann to me looks like the perfect combination of football acumen and personality. But we'll see where he's at in a couple years. He's still at the very beginning. 

Gerrard will be our next manager anyway. 

2 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Tuchel has good ideas about football but his personality is bad. Simeone's football stinks. It will be a non-starter at any top club. Nagelsmann to me looks like the perfect combination of football acumen and personality. But we'll see where he's at in a couple years. He's still at the very beginning. 

Very likely but I hope we don't let sentiment get in the way of rational thinking.

5 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

I fucking hope not 

10 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

Gerrard have a lot to prove if he is to be considered next Liverpool manager. Hopefully 5 years(?) of experience before Klopp goes will see if he makes it. Not so sure at the moment tbh.

29 minutes ago, Johnlj said:

Gerrard have a lot to prove if he is to be considered next Liverpool manager. Hopefully 5 years(?) of experience before Klopp goes will see if he makes it. Not so sure at the moment tbh.

Was not sold on idea of Gerrard however he has the basics of being a good manager, passion for the game and willingness to learn .  It will be our Ferguson moment when Jürgen leaves we will need some continuity with the past regime. I think it has been decided and a succession plan has been put in place that is not dependent on SG being a success in Scotland. I think he will be more like Kenny in character than JK let's just hope it doesn't turn into a Souness transition. (Which it won't !)

1 minute ago, clockspeed said:

Was not sold on idea of Gerrard however he has the basics of being a good manager, passion for the game and willingness to learn .  It will be our Ferguson moment when Jürgen leaves we will need some continuity with the past regime. I think it has been decided and a succession plan has been put in place that is not dependent on SG being a success in Scotland. I think he will be more like Kenny in character than JK let's just hope it doesn't turn into a Souness transition. (Which it won't !)

Klopp had been in management around 14/15 years when he got our job while Gerrard would have had about five,which is not far off Klopp's predecessor.

When the Gerrard to Newcastle rumours were circling I had two massive reasons for wanting him to take it. Firstly to get him away from the toxic shithole of a club that simply doesn't suit the man and who he is one bit and secondly to actually see what sort of manager he is and will be. The fishbowl in Glasgow plus the gap between the two Old Firm means we can't really measure Gerrard while he is there. After they beat Celtic at Parched (and outplayed them for the most part) I still knew they would bottle it. They did just that. 

He has also brought in a shit-load of new players there that haven't done the job plus he doesn't know his first team and hasn't in his first two years.

I really wish he hadn't gone there but, one thing he will gain from it is experience under pressure. If he ever does manage us then I hope its 10/15 years down the line.  

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Klopp had been in management around 14/15 years when he got our job while Gerrard would have had about five,which is not far off Klopp's predecessor.

Or Hodgson plenty of experience there ! 

Here get your point and as I said I wasn't sold on the idea. However bar his man management of Morelles (spelling) which has been suspect to say the least he has done ok so far. What I do like is he has moved away from his family (or uprooted his family) to persue management career when he already a wealthy man . Shows a degree of ambition and commitment very soon after his footballing career ended.

4 hours ago, clockspeed said:

Or Hodgson plenty of experience there ! 

Here get your point and as I said I wasn't sold on the idea. However bar his man management of Morelles (spelling) which has been suspect to say the least he has done ok so far. What I do like is he has moved away from his family (or uprooted his family) to persue management career when he already a wealthy man . Shows a degree of ambition and commitment very soon after his footballing career ended.

I did add the word success in an earlier post,which rules Hodgson way out of the debate!