You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Happy birthday, Jocky!

Alan Hansen, quite simply the best footballing centre back Ive ever seen play for Liverpool, is 65 today. How times fly. I can remember this gangly ex manchester united supporting kid playing for us. If people thought Moreno was a liability, Jocky initially was worse. He was far too cocky or was it just casual and he'd cause some awful moments. The worst was when he gifted Bruges a virtual one on one in the 78 European Cup Final and only a goal line clearance by Thommo (I think) prevent them from equalising.

But that casualness was eventually knocked out of him. I even saw him score a brace in a UEFA Cup game against a Dutch side, was it Twente? He'd been out injured a long time before the 88 FA Cup semi final against Forest and hadnt played in ages. The sense of relief that went around the ground when his name was read out was immense. He wasnt named as a sub, hewas straight into the team, he played like he hadnt missed a game never mind 6, 7, 8 or whatever. He was like a Rolls Royce. He might have been fucked after the game but he didnt look it during the game.

He's the last Liverpool skipper to hold the league trophy. Well, until Hendo does it in a few weeks time!

Many happies, Jocky!

• Upvote 10

8 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

Alan Hansen, quite simply the best footballing centre back Ive ever seen play for Liverpool, is 65 today. How times fly. I can remember this gangly ex manchester united supporting kid playing for us. If people thought Moreno was a liability, Jocky initially was worse. He was far too cocky or was it just casual and he'd cause some awful moments. The worst was when he gifted Bruges a virtual one on one in the 78 European Cup Final and only a goal line clearance by Thommo (I think) prevent them from equalising.

But that casualness was eventually knocked out of him. I even saw him score a brace in a UEFA Cup game against a Dutch side, was it Twente? He'd been out injured a long time before the 88 FA Cup semi final against Forest and hadnt played in ages. The sense of relief that went around the ground when his name was read out was immense. He wasnt named as a sub, hewas straight into the team, he played like he hadnt missed a game never mind 6, 7, 8 or whatever. He was like a Rolls Royce. He might have been fucked after the game but he didnt look it during the game.

He's the last Liverpool skipper to hold the league trophy. Well, until Hendo does it in a few weeks time!

Many happies, Jocky!

AZ Alkmaar,I think? was the Dutch team. Beat them 3-2 on a pretty cold night and went into extra time,if I remember rightly.

One or two others warrant honourable mentions but, for me anyway, Jocky is definitely the best footballing centre back Liverpool have ever had. 

There’ll definitely be some that disagree with this, including one of his regular centre back partners, but I think he’s the best all round centre back we’ve ever had as well. Give it a few more years and VVD might topple him but, for now, it’s Hansen for me. 

Without doubt the best centre half we’ve ever had he was so good and a sign of greatness whoever played alongside him be it Glenn Hysen or Gary Ablett looked top class 

If he was English he would be talked about as much as Bobby Moore that’s how good Jokey was.

Oh and he also has the best/worst autobiography title in Tall Dark and Hansen  

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Stickman said:

Without doubt the best centre half we’ve ever had he was so good and a sign of greatness whoever played alongside him be it Glenn Hysen or Gary Ablett looked top class 

If he was English he would be talked about as much as Bobby Moore that’s how good Jokey was.

Oh and he also has the best/worst autobiography title in Tall Dark and Hansen  

I honestly don’t remember either Ablett or Hysen as looking top class, Dizzy was though, whenever he was fit.

1 hour ago, Captain Howdy said:

I honestly don’t remember either Ablett or Hysen as looking top class, Dizzy was though, whenever he was fit.

Agree they’re were never top class it just they looked w lot better when Jocky was alongside them .
You noticed the big drop off with those two when he wasn’t 

8 hours ago, Captain Howdy said:

Lawrenson was as good as Hansen he’s just not as popular.  It’s fair to say we’ve been blessed

I've said before that arguably Lawrenson was as good a player,could play anywhere across the back and in midfield,but I think Hansen was the better centre half. When Michael Robinson died recently he said something along the lines of 'Lawrenson made these brilliantly timed long legged slide tackles while Hansen didn't need to do that because he read the game so well.' I'd say that he made a very good comparison of the two.

3 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I've said before that arguably Lawrenson was as good a player,could play anywhere across the back and in midfield,but I think Hansen was the better centre half. When Michael Robinson died recently he said something along the lines of 'Lawrenson made these brilliantly timed long legged slide tackles while Hansen didn't need to do that because he read the game so well.' I'd say that he made a very good comparison of the two.

I’ve no problem with anyone thinking Hansen was the better player/ centre half he was immense, I’m just a big fan of Lawrenson the player, he was outstanding imo and has never really been given the recognition he deserves, probably because he’s a bit of a dickhead.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

I’ve no problem with anyone thinking Hansen was the better player/ centre half he was immense, I’m just a big fan of Lawrenson the player, he was outstanding imo and has never really been given the recognition he deserves, probably because he’s a bit of a dickhead.

Yeah, it's weird how he's been airbrushed from Liverpool history. He was a sensational player. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Captain Howdy said:

I don't disagree with your assessment. I'd also say having his career cut short by injury probably sullied Lawrenson's legacy too,even though it shouldn't have.