You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool hotels, bars/pubs, restaurants etc

Code

Just been wondering a bit lately, about the situation for local businesses in Liverpool and how they have managed through the crisis.

In Norway we have had a lot of rescue packages from the government, luckily we have the money to spend to try and help different kind of businesses out, both small and big, but still we have seen loads who have gone bankrupt these last few weeks and months.

I have not read much details about how this will work in the UK? What kind of help will the government offer etc?

Will I meet a totally different Liverpool city centre next time I'm able to get over? Will the usual hotels, bars/pubs, restaurants etc still be there?

Lord Nelson.jpg

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Code said:

Just been wondering a bit lately, about the situation for local businesses in Liverpool and how they have managed through the crisis.

In Norway we have had a lot of rescue packages from the government, luckily we have the money to spend to try and help different kind of businesses out, both small and big, but still we have seen loads who have gone bankrupt these last few weeks and months.

I have not read much details about how this will work in the UK? What kind of help will the government offer etc?

Will I meet a totally different Liverpool city centre next time I'm able to get over? Will the usual hotels, bars/pubs, restaurants etc still be there?

Lord Nelson.jpg

That was my usual place to stay over the past 6/7 years, the mate who run it though has left now, it was sound for what I paid for a night but the owners weren't to bothered at one time and seemed to be running it down, it had a generator for the leccy a few years ago for fuck sake. 

It was still going a few months ago so I expect it will be open especially with the footy coming up. I've just got the Premiere Inn Lime St for £32 per night Fri/Sat/ Sun which is very good thought that's the last weekend in August, so hoping all will be up and running by then, the bigger pubs should deffo be open but it's the more smaller traditional like pubs that I like to go in that might finds things difficult unless all restrictions are lifted, hope so. 

7 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

The Warbreck was open for "takeaway pints" yesterday.  The car park and the street was full of people - in clumps of 2 or 3, distanced from each other - drinking gassy lager out of plastic pots in the drizzly rain.

Each to their own, I suppose.

At £4 a pint I believe, my mate went up there last week thinking it was open, what made him think that fuck knows. 

I'd rather stay in than do that,   not one for sitting outside pubs anyway in full view of passers by, a bit shit that. 

• Upvote 1

Daughter owns a restaurant with her boyfriend. Closed down completely for  about a month after the lockdown announcement and then set up on a takeaway basis only. Their furloughed staff are not allowed to work ( this may change when the part time furlough rules come in) so them, me and the wife plus one staff member have kept it running. Nowhere near the same revenue but covering costs and they got the £10k grant for business rate payers. You will probably be aware that I dont like Tories but Sunak has definitely done a good job so far.

The big issue they will have is there is no chance of them opening while the 2m rule applies as it is a small restaurant with no outside space, and they have estimated they could only do about 25% of the old customer covers in and that's without the headaches re safeguarding the health of staff serving the customers, people going to the loo etc

Harking back to the furlough scheme , another element of who will be able to weather the storm and those who will not is quite a few pubs and restaurants paid cash in hand for their staff so cant furlough them and have had to let staff go , therefore making it more awkward for them to re-open later.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Daughter owns a restaurant with her boyfriend. Closed down completely for  about a month after the lockdown announcement and then set up on a takeaway basis only. Their furloughed staff are not allowed to work ( this may change when the part time furlough rules come in) so them, me and the wife plus one staff member have kept it running. Nowhere near the same revenue but covering costs and they got the £10k grant for business rate payers. You will probably be aware that I dont like Tories but Sunak has definitely done a good job so far.

The big issue they will have is there is no chance of them opening while the 2m rule applies as it is a small restaurant with no outside space, and they have estimated they could only do about 25% of the old customer covers in and that's without the headaches re safeguarding the health of staff serving the customers, people going to the loo etc

Harking back to the furlough scheme , another element of who will be able to weather the storm and those who will not is quite a few pubs and restaurants paid cash in hand for their staff so cant furlough them and have had to let staff go , therefore making it more awkward for them to re-open later.

Yes it's going to be tough for some, with some not very nice decisions to make concerning staff. 

One Pub I always call into for a few is The Globe and that's tiny so I can't see how they'll make it work, the others around the corner are much bigger and maybe they will find a way. 

Only a full lifting of restrictions will help but I can't see that for some time, it's a bastard shame. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Code said:

Lord Nelson.jpg

Used to live next door to this and probably spent 35% of any given week in the Dugout basement bar.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, easytoslip said:

Yes it's going to be tough for some, with some not very nice decisions to make concerning staff. 

One Pub I always call into for a few is The Globe and that's tiny so I can't see how they'll make it work, the others around the corner are much bigger and maybe they will find a way. 

Only a full lifting of restrictions will help but I can't see that for some time, it's a bastard shame. 

Latest suggestion is that Johnson has his eye on September at the latest to get the distancing gone or reduced to 1m. Obviously there are health considerations but there are also 3m+ people working in hospitality.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, sir roger said:

What type of food mate?

46 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Latest suggestion is that Johnson has his eye on September at the latest to get the distancing gone or reduced to 1m. Obviously there are health considerations but there are also 3m+ people working in hospitality.

I think the majority would go back ASAP and take their  chance, as someone posted it would be the norm to live with the possibility of catching it albeit a   bit less of a chance now, hopefully. 

3 hours ago, easytoslip said:

At £4 a pint I believe, my mate went up there last week thinking it was open, what made him think that fuck knows. 

I'd rather stay in than do that,   not one for sitting outside pubs anyway in full view of passers by, a bit shit that. 

Depends on the pub and the place for me. A hot summer's day, drinking and people watching is a slice of paradise for me.

4 hours ago, easytoslip said:

That was my usual place to stay over the past 6/7 years, the mate who run it though has left now, it was sound for what I paid for a night but the owners weren't to bothered at one time and seemed to be running it down, it had a generator for the leccy a few years ago for fuck sake. 

It was still going a few months ago so I expect it will be open especially with the footy coming up. I've just got the Premiere Inn Lime St for £32 per night Fri/Sat/ Sun which is very good thought that's the last weekend in August, so hoping all will be up and running by then, the bigger pubs should deffo be open but it's the more smaller traditional like pubs that I like to go in that might finds things difficult unless all restrictions are lifted, hope so. 

I fear for the Lord Nelson mate, been staying there regularly for more than 10 years now, I pay £135 from Friday-Monday. Might need to check out the Premiere Inn.

Lord Nelson changed owners last year, the lift has not been working for ages etc, etc, I stayed there last time for the West Ham game at the end of February.

2 hours ago, Carradona said:

Used to live next door to this and probably spent 35% of any given week in the Dugout basement bar.

Thats just been used a store room for years now, I asked the new manager about if they had any plans to reopen it and she said they were considering it.

Just now, Code said:

I fear for the Lord Nelson mate, been staying there regularly for more than 10 years now, I pay £135 from Friday-Monday. Might need to check out the Premiere Inn.

Lord Nelson changed owners last year, the lift has not been working for ages etc, etc, I stayed there last time for the West Ham game at the end of February.

Yes I have about that too, the mate was the manager there, he was struggling to pay the girls who work there insisting on cash so he could sort them. 

There was no money coming in from the owner apparently, who also have a hotel down here which folded I think though I didn't know it changed hands. 

He has a load  of elderly people who come down from Scotland each year so I don't know what happened as that lift wasn't working, those fuckin' doors on the stairs are a pain too. 

Last year as I was going out one morning I said alright at the reception, he made me watch CCTV 4 times of me falling backwards off the steps pissed as fuck, luckily there was a couple there to give me a hand and not the scumbags that pass through the street to London Rd. 

He had enough and jibbed it, can't blame him, so an end of an era as such, which is a shame as its been good to me and I knew most of the staff, so I'm looking for somewhere regular but doubt it'll be as cheap as that. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Code said:

Thats just been used a store room for years now, I asked the new manager about if they had any plans to reopen it and she said they were considering it.

It was used for the odd functions but I only ever saw one, plus I don't think the bar has been open for some time, which was handy for a late drink if need be 

if not to bladdered, about 3 years ago me and a mate hade a bit of a late one. 

Yes same for me, knew all the staff, really friendly people all of them.

Will just have to wait and see I guess, I’ve used to book around 10-12 weekends every season, two single rooms every time. Used to call them to arrange it the day the fixture list got released. 

• Upvote 1