You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Report: Karius vows to stay at Liverpool and fight for his future

TLW

Loris Karius is willing to stay at Liverpool while being firm in the knowledge that he will be in the backup role to Alisson.

The German keeper has had a tortuous last few years of his career, most notably his calamitous performance in the 2018 Champions League Final and his poor form continued when he was sent on loan to Turkish club Besiktas.

If that wasn’t bad enough, Karius then was engaged in a wage dispute with his on-loan club claiming that he had not been paid since the Super Lig season had been halted due to the Covid-19 pandemic.

This led Karius to report Besiktas to FIFA on two separate occasions and eventually led him to cancel his contract and return to his parent club.

loris-karius.jpg

In the aftermath, Karius has been open about his experience and looking forward to the next step of his career. 

He has been linked to clubs in his homeland with Hertha Berlin being one team mentioned.

However the gloveman also realises that he has to be a pragmatist in these uncertain times and if there is no guarantee of first team opportunities at another club, there is no harm at staying at one of the top teams in world football.

The Daily Mail(via transfermarkt) reported Karius as saying:

“Of course I have to play if I am going to change clubs. 

It makes no sense to say: 'I'm leaving Liverpool for a worse club and I'm only number two there.

“But I'm not in a pressure situation at all, I don't have to change.

“I can move forward in training at Liverpool. As the second-choice goalkeeper in England you know that you get your chances.

'I am currently at the best club in the world, play for titles, have the highest level around me every day in training. 

“I am fully aware that I am in a good position to be in Liverpool. I have great conditions there.”

Football has been littered with players over the years of players staying at a club virtually ‘stealing a wage’ and not really adding any value to their side.

That leads to a great level of frustration as the less they play, the more they lose currency on the open market and become virtually impossible to move on.

The role of a back-up goalkeeper is slightly different as a opportunity can arise at any moment, be it a through a suspension or injury as has been seen with the injuries suffered by Alisson during this campaign.

Karius may feel by training in familiar surroundings with a manager who has been a great support to him and learning from a world class keeper could be beneficial to him as he assesses where he is in his career.

As has been frequently noted, goalkeepers mature much later than outfield players and at just 26, he has time on his side.

View full article

1 minute ago, Redder Lurtz said:

I'm vowing to stay at home and fight for my right to bang Margot Robbie when she turns up at my house dressed as Harley Quinn. 

If Allison is Margot Robbie Harley Quinn, this is the Karius version

HQ.png

• Upvote 2

There's a point of no return with keepers and he's definitely passed it here, same happened with David James, although he looked like Lev Yashin in comparison. Both handled mistakes in the same way though, with a kind of nonchalance that implied it wasn't me, it was you. 

• Upvote 4

It looks like Lonergan will be our second choice if things carry on like they are. When you have a first choice keeper with such a strong mental will and self confidence anybody else just looks like a mental midget in comparison. Alisson is already in a different class to most others we've had in years.

I can't see how he could handle the pressure in a league match if at the worst he was called upon, all hands will be on tenterhooks with his hands and expecting the worst. 

In any other walk of life he'd of collected his cards on the way out nearly 2 years ago, though I can't deny his guts if he tries given a chance of redemption, not for me. 

20 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

There's a point of no return with keepers and he's definitely passed it here, same happened with David James, although he looked like Lev Yashin in comparison. Both handled mistakes in the same way though, with a kind of nonchalance that implied it wasn't me, it was you. 

13 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

It looks like Lonergan will be our second choice if things carry on like they are. When you have a first choice keeper with such a strong mental will and self confidence anybody else just looks like a mental midget in comparison. Alisson is already in a different class to most others we've had in years.

Remember Alisson's fuck-up against Leicester?  I don't think it's smug hindsight, I'm pretty sure the feeling at the time was a confident "Not great, but he'll learn from it and it won't happen again".  He just inspires so much confidence.

• Upvote 2

Lest we forget. 

I still can't get my head around the physics of the first one. It doesn't seem possible.

What pisses me off about the second one beyond the initial fuckup is his reaction to it, he doesn't even attempt to chase the ball but appears to stand still and then do two star jumps. That's one thing you always notice with him, he does weird shit that you don't often associate with bad goalkeeping. Often if a goalie makes a mistake they've let it slip through their fingers or missed a catch or something, it's been a timing or technique issue, but I swear I've seen Karius do things like crouch down when the ball's high or throw his leg out to the opposite side of where the ball is heading, he just looks like he's having a long series of petit mals.  

giphy.gif

tenor.gif?itemid=11895082

• Downvote 2

3 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I would say Kelleher is more likely. Lonergan would be worse backup than Adrian.