You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Featured: That was the week that was (Jun 2-8 2020)

tlw content

theweekthatwas.jpg

Tuesday Jun 2:

Lovren kicks off on social media about littering. This was great. He was out for a walk on Formby beach and was so disgusted by all the garbage he saw that he live streamed his walk and went off on one about how we need to be better. Good for him, I thought it was ace, if a little surreal.

Looking forward to tomorrow when he walks around the local park pointing out all the dogshit and calling out the bastards who didn't pick it up. Say what you like about big Dejan, but he's certainly not dull.

I was browsing youtube today looking at the video uploads by the club and I stumbled across one from a few weeks back that I’d somehow missed. Pep Ljinders interviewing Harvey Elliott. It was great, Ljinders is just such a lively, enthusiastic fella. He’s so positive in everything he says and does and as much as Buvac was well respected and had a lot of success with Klopp, this fella is just so happy and loves his work so much it’s impossible for it not to rub off on others. 

I want to see more of Ljinders this year. Let him do all the league cup press conferences again and give him his own weekly show on LFCTV. In fact, partner him up with my boy Steve Hunter, perhaps the only person on the club’s payroll who’s more enthusiastic than Ljinders. 

Wednesday Jun 3:

The Mirror publishes a result of a survey of fans asked about football’s return. No surprise our fans were most in favour, but what struck me was that the most opposed were not those facing relegation. It wasn’t even Everton, which would have surprised no-one (they were second, on 76%). It was City, the sad obsessed pathetic little cunts.

80% of them didn’t want the season to start again. It’s laughable. I’m just embarrassed for them, the pathetic little fucking worms. Taking their title just got even sweeter.  These are the absolute fucking worst. From top to bottom, that club is pathetic. There are countless reasons to despise United, and I never thought Chelsea fans would be beaten when it came to not knowing how to act like a big club, but City have taken it to a whole new stratosphere. It’s like everything they do just makes me cringe. 

The owners are cunts, the press office are sad obsessed bitter little cockroaches, the manager is a dick, half the team are wankers and the fans… the fans… fuck me. I don’t know what’s happened to them as they used to be alright. Now they’re the absolute fucking worst in the entire country. The kings of ‘whataboutery’. Enjoy choking on our dust you pathetic little crybaby cunts.

Christ, I needed that, I feel like I’ve lightened the load a little now.

Some of the other results were interesting, especially that only 53% of West Ham fans were against relegation. Fair play to them, but then West Ham’s fans have never really been the problem have they? I don’t mind the Hammers fanbase, it’s the vile owners who my beef is with. Mind you, 65%  of Hammers fans polled did want the season scrapped, which isn’t great, so fuck them too I guess. If I could pick one team in the bottom half to go down, then it would be…

*checks table to see where Everton are*

Ok it would be Everton. But if I had to pick another then it would be West Ham.

In other news today, there was one positive test for the virus in the PL. It was from Spurs. Obviously it’s not being made public who recorded the positive test but I think we all know who will be claiming it.

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full article

Please note that the Week that Was is only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• Upvote 1

• dave u pinned this topic

I find Hunter's commentary annoying, to be honest. I've watch all those season round-ups on Youtube too. I won't fault his enthusiasm but when you hear him commentating on routine reserve/academy fixtures and describing scrappy goals as though they are replicas of Maradona's slalom against England, you want to tell him to wind his neck in a bit. Also, for any goal scored by one of our regular goalscorers, he ALWAYS throws in the phrase "yet again!" (emphasis on the 'a-gayn'). Still, he's better than listening to Tyler sounding like he's announcing somebody's death whenever we score, or Motson with his hysterical screeching at some inconsequential bit of action.

Great report Dave, as usual. I see what you mean in the BLM stance, and I agree white guys are not the best to be patronizing ect, but it’s important not only black people stand out on this issue. 

John Barnes is one of my Favourite ever player. I showed many videos of him to my 11 year old son, he was amazed how good he was.

• Upvote 1

City this season are Isiah Thomas and the Detroit Pistons, storming off the court in ‘91 without shaking hands before the Eastern Conference finals had finished.

Taken me decades to be able to casually drop in a US Sports reference to a conversation, and you better believe I’m taking the opportunity.

Shade, thrown.

• Upvote 5

I feel so sorry for Clyne cos he was a good player for us even with his lack of attacking input one of those guys you could put in the side and will always get a 7 out of 10 from every game.

The only real bad-ish performance of his I can remember is against Man U in the 2nd leg of the Europa league when Martial ran him ragged.

Unfortunately the team passed him by while he was injured I hope he's luckier during the rest of his career

Around Werner I feel nothing tbh as Traore was always the player I wanted cos he seems more realistic than Mbappe but yeah I don't see that happening

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, tlw content said:

The owners are cunts, the press office are sad obsessed bitter little cockroaches, the manager is a dick, half the team are wankers and the fans… the fans… fuck me. I don’t know what’s happened to them as they used to be alright. Now they’re the absolute fucking worst in the entire country. The kings of ‘whataboutery’. Enjoy choking on our dust you pathetic little crybaby cunts.

You missed out on the worthless hacks who run interference for the club at every opportunity. To quote Humbert Wolfe:

You cannot hope
to bribe or twist,
thank God! the
British journalist.
But, seeing what
the man will do
unbribed, there's
no occasion to

Otherwise, spot on.

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Captain Milk said:

City this season are Isiah Thomas and the Detroit Pistons, storming off the court in ‘91 without shaking hands before the Eastern Conference finals had finished.

Taken me decades to be able to casually drop in a US Sports reference to a conversation, and you better believe I’m taking the opportunity.

Shade, thrown.

Well worth the wait. Nice job.

19 hours ago, Trumo said:

I find Hunter's commentary annoying, to be honest. I've watch all those season round-ups on Youtube too. I won't fault his enthusiasm but when you hear him commentating on routine reserve/academy fixtures and describing scrappy goals as though they are replicas of Maradona's slalom against England, you want to tell him to wind his neck in a bit. Also, for any goal scored by one of our regular goalscorers, he ALWAYS throws in the phrase "yet again!" (emphasis on the 'a-gayn'). Still, he's better than listening to Tyler sounding like he's announcing somebody's death whenever we score, or Motson with his hysterical screeching at some inconsequential bit of action.

That's Steve though, he's genuinely that enthusiastic about it all, it's not done for show. I travelled the length and breadth of the country with him for years covering the ressies and I can honestly say I've never met anyone with more passion and enthusiasm for the Reds.

I think part of why he gets so animated about 'scrappy academy goals' is because he knows the lads who are scoring them so it means more to him as a result. 

Case in point. When Mellor scored that amazing last minute winner against Arsenal all those years ago, when you see him leaving the pitch he looks up to the gantry and gives Steve a thumbs up. The young lads all know him because he covers all the games and conducts interviews with them etc

He just loves his job. Top red and top fella.

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, dave u said:

That's Steve though, he's genuinely that enthusiastic about it all, it's not done for show. I travelled the length and breadth of the country with him for years covering the ressies and I can honestly say I've never met anyone with more passion and enthusiasm for the Reds.

I think part of why he gets so animated about 'scrappy academy goals' is because he knows the lads who are scoring them so it means more to him as a result. 

Case in point. When Mellor scored that amazing last minute winner against Arsenal all those years ago, when you see him leaving the pitch he looks up to the gantry and gives Steve a thumbs up. The young lads all know him because he covers all the games and conducts interviews with them etc

He just loves his job. Top red and top fella.

Add to this the best commentary for the Origi goal vs Barca - 'Corner taken quickly... Oirgi!!!'

I've listened to BT commentary - Irish commentary on RTE describing the moment the goal is scored and hunters commentary on LFCTV is hands down the best to listen back too.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Mark M said:

Add to this the best commentary for the Origi goal vs Barca - 'Corner taken quickly... Oirgi!!!'

I've listened to BT commentary - Irish commentary on RTE describing the moment the goal is scored and hunters commentary on LFCTV is hands down the best to listen back too.

image.png

• Upvote 2

Leaving aside Barnes' genius as a player, he more or less single-handedly educated our support about racism. Before he arrived, I can remember being on the Kop and cringing as it belted out racist abuse at visiting players, after there was no more of that and genuine outrage at how he was treated, by Everton fans especially.

3 minutes ago, Frank Dacey said:

Leaving aside Barnes' genius as a player, he more or less single-handedly educated our support about racism. Before he aed, I can remember being on the Kop and cringing as it belted out racist abuse at visiting players, after there was no more of that and genuine outrage at how he was treated, by Everton fans especially.

According to a Stanford University study, since Mo Salah joined Liverpool, hate crimes in the Merseyside area have decreased by 19%. 

Wow, he’s a real guru. Fucking hell. What’s his advice to budding young golfers? “Watch Rory McIlroy closely and you’ll improve your performance.” What a fraud. Not even Brendan would have the brass neck to make a statement like that. 

Oh he really, really would.

52 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Oh he really, really would.

Yeah you're right. I'm giving him far too much credit there.

This is, after all, a man who once claimed a Rangers fan stopped him on the street and thanked him for unifying Glasgow.

4 hours ago, dave u said:

Yeah you're right. I'm giving him far too much credit there.

This is, after all, a man who once claimed a Rangers fan stopped him on the street and thanked him for unifying Glasgow.

Ha, ha, ha!!! That’s fucking brilliant, isn’t it? You really do have to admire the ego that even thinks that shit up, never mind says it out loud. 

I wasn't desperate for Werner to sign but I don't get the argument that he's not up to the standard of our front 3, no he's not but our front 3 weren't up to this standard until Klopp got his hands on them.  Klopp makes players better and if he wanted Werner it's because he thought he could make him better too. 

Did Klopp want him enough, did FSG pull the plug?  It's a tough one as I'd be surprised if FSG let Klopp carry on with his pursuit of Werner knowing the finances were shaky, but equally if the finances are okay why would Klopp pull the plug? If FSG said "Jurgen the finances are good, go for it" why would Klopp say no?   Would they really have said "the money is there but we'd prefer you not to spend it just in case"? 

It was never about 'standard' for me. He's obviously a top striker as his record shows that.

To me it's about style of play and suitability for us. From what I've seen (which admittedly isn't more than about half a dozen games) Salah and Mané are miles better than him in terms of skill, technique and playing in tight spaces and while he'd defo score more goals than Bobby if he played centre forward, we'd have to change the way we play to accommodate him.

In some ways I suppose it depends on what you want. Another number nine or someone who can rotate with Mo and Sadio. Personally I think we need the wide option a lot more, which is why I never wanted Werner because I don't think he has the necessary skill and guile to be useful in the wide positions against packed defences.

• dave u unpinned this topic