You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Categories Draft - The FINAL

Bjornebye

Categories Draft - The FINAL   

13 members have voted

1. 1. Categories Draft - The FINAL

57 minutes ago, Alex_K said:

Really though?? No skin in this game but enjoy the discussion. Matteo was an ever-present through all of Leeds' Champions League games (Milan, Real, Lazio etc.) and remember him grabbing them a couple of goals including away in Milan that got them through. Most definitely was not a squad player. He was a very classy centre back but got fucked by injuries.

Soyuncu is debatable sure and Johnny Evans at his peak does have more accomplishments, but at least Soyuncu's played at a high level in England. I'm fascinated by this Scott Brown perspective - can someone tell me a couple of performances against decent opposition that I need to check out from his 18 year career? I'm seeing nothing from him at the moment that demonstrates he was ever any better than lower-mid table PL quality. Someone show me what I'm missing.

I'm genuinely shocked by the attitude towards Scott Brown, he was never Steven Gerrard but nor was he Christian Poulsen. He's a solid and reliable old skool midfield player, hard as nails, disciplined, a pound shop Roy Keane.

36 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

I’d imagine almost everyone who takes part in the drafts has seen him play dozens of times. Just watching him in international tournaments alone you’d have seen him play 20-30 matches I’d have thought. I disagree with your assessment of him, I also disagree that Veron would be a better fit there. Khedira is eminently more suitable to DM than Veron. 

I also can’t see you admitting you were wrong to Alex but maybe I’ve overlooked it in amongst you calling him a cunt! And no one is denying he isn’t a CM or a box to box midfielder, only that he can play multiple positions to a high standard, like Henderson for example. Whether Ballack player DM isn’t relevant as he isn’t a Ballack type player either. 

It was going to be Ballack to play the same role alongside Schweinsteiger up until the last moment. Henderson played one full season as the sole holding midfielder, so we know how good he could be there. Whereas Khedira had Alonso playing that role for Real alongside him and Pjanic for Juve. Veron was much more similar a player to Pjanic IMO, hence I thought it’d work better if you swapped them.

40 minutes ago, No2 said:

I'm genuinely shocked by the attitude towards Scott Brown, he was never Steven Gerrard but nor was he Christian Poulsen. He's a solid and reliable old skool midfield player, hard as nails, disciplined, a pound shop Roy Keane.

Fuck off. 

Brown was shit. 

Guest Alex_K

UEFA Cup winning Christian Poulsen of Sevilla and Juventus at his peak was almost without a shadow of a doubt better than Brown, sad as that is to write.

@Sugar Ape - lost cause. I infer from his latest post that a 38 year old Michael Ballack was due to play holding midfield for Germany at the World Cup alongside Schweinstieger. Ballack had actually been retired from football for 2 years by the time Khedira won the World Cup in that position with Germany.

Guest Alex_K
5 minutes ago, aRdja said:

If you had just clicked on the link I provided it probably would’ve cleared up your confusion?  Neither Ballack nor Khedira was or has ever been a holding midfielder.

If your link did not refer to the 2014 World Cup — the World Cup which Khedira won — then it is completely irrelevant to the point that was made. I stopped shy of this convo when you showed yourself to be frustrated & foul mouthed - will back out of it again now. It’s not a good look to be so adamant as to never concede a point when every piece of empirical evidence is against you. 

20 minutes ago, Alex_K said:

If your link did not refer to the 2014 World Cup — the World Cup which Khedira won — then it is completely irrelevant to the point that was made. I stopped shy of this convo when you showed yourself to be frustrated & foul mouthed - will back out of it again now. It’s not a good look to be so adamant as to never concede a point when every piece of empirical evidence is against you. 

The reason you backed out is probably more because you realised you were wrong. Khedira played the same role in 2014 as he did in 2010. Genuinely the only person who thinks he’s a natural holding midfielder here is you, even @Sugar Ape conceded that point. The whole point of Jonathan Wilson’s article was to illustrate that he was a ‘ball carrying’ midfielder as opposed to a traditional holding midfielder. I understand the temptation of classifying him as a holding mid, like people often do with Gattuso and Davids, but it’d be remiss of me not to inform you that you’re wrong. Also, if you’re brave enough to call someone an idiot, then don’t cry and call for back-up when they bite back and call you a cunt.

8 hours ago, No2 said:

This. People are just being wankers. 

2 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

This. People are just being wankers. 

England's defensive midfielders over the last few years have been Eric Dier and Declan Rice. They have Scott Parker, Owen Hargreaves,  before them, he's easily on par with them, not only is he not a championship player he would actually be a starter for England if he was English, he would have 100 caps if he was Irish or Welsh.

I'll leave the last word to the possibly biased Callulm McGregor.

“The best player I’ve played with is a tough choice,” he admitted. “I’ve played with Virgil Van Dijk who is now regarded as the best centre-half in the world.

“He’s progressed so much since leaving Celtic – but the person I see perform at the highest level every single day is Broony.

“He does it every day in training and in games. His mentality is always the same. For me to work so closely with him, I see his attitude and the way he drives other people on.

On 11/05/2020 at 09:30, Grinch said:

I wouldn't even call Scott Brown a footballer.   A thug whose had the sense to stay in a shit league all his career. 

On 13/08/2019 at 21:26, Fugitive said:

Anyway, Scott Brown is a shrunken headed fanny.

On 29/12/2018 at 14:13, The Guest said:

Fucking hell Scott Brown has been dreadful.

On 29/12/2018 at 13:21, Em City said:

After 45 mins of watching Scott Brown, I will never criticise Hendo or Gini again.

On 10/11/2018 at 19:44, Captain Turdseye said:

Mo’s absolute worst corners would be comfortably the best corners in the Scottish league. And Scott Brown fingers cats. 

On 02/09/2018 at 14:08, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Scott Brown is what you get when siblings copulate.

On 06/06/2018 at 16:51, Fugitive said:

Fucking weirdo.

Scott Brown is a massive turbocunt. He sucks off dead pigeons.

I can’t get my head around somebody supporting two clubs.

On 06/05/2018 at 20:46, Em City said:

Steven Gerrard in a wheelchair would still outplay Scott Brown.

On 06/05/2018 at 18:23, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Scott Brown is a cunt.

On 13/09/2016 at 23:14, Em City said:

Scott Brown is utter cack. Can't control or pass a football, but is loved by the fans because he snarls a lot and constantly slags Rangers.

A more perfect personification of the rotten corpse that is Scottish football, you could not find.

On 20/05/2016 at 18:13, Trumo said:

You mean Scott Brown, who always looks like somebody who terrorises the kids on council estates and knows where to score cheap smack.

On 20/05/2016 at 17:53, Em City said:

When a gimp like Scott Brown is your captain, you know the team is utter shit.

A selection of fellow forumites views of Scott Brown. And the funniest two on them all:

On 10/06/2017 at 17:16, Bjornebye said:

I'll get laughed at but we need a Scott Brown at Anfield. 

On 09/01/2017 at 19:10, Bjornebye said:

Scott Brown would do a decent job in our midfield

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Sugar Ape said:

A selection of fellow forumites views of Scott Brown. And the funniest two on them all:

Fucking he'll mate, that's a lot of time and effort to say how much you hate him. I wasn't aware drafts considered looks or cat fingering preferences. I don't care what anyone says, he's easily better than at least half the other Scottish players selected in this draft.

2 minutes ago, No2 said:

Fucking he'll mate, that's a lot of time and effort to say how much you hate him. I wasn't aware drafts considered looks or cat fingering preferences. I don't care what anyone says, he's easily better than at least half the other Scottish players selected in this draft.

Personally speaking, cat fingering is the first thing I consider when I look at a team. Just unfortunate for you that you have a confirmed cat fingerer in your team.