You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Everton (A) 21/6/2020

Bjornebye

The media stampede when a team at the top fails to win a game is quite incredible.

No team can just win every week, week in week out.

It is getting ridiculous now how any game where we don't win and it has been same for Man City leads to inquests and pieces about standards dropping, teams being burned out and so on....or like that Guardian piece and others i have read we are limping over the line somehow....83 fucking points from 30 games, that is incredible and is better already with 8 games to go than a fair few title winning teams managed - including some of Ferguson's Man Utd teams and the 'greatest title win ever' Leicester.

We came back after a 3 month break and yeah we were rusty as an old bike left in the yard, but we got a point away in an awkward derby.

Meanwhile teams not averaging about 1.5 pts a game like Man Utd are praised week in week out and declared 'back' 'on the verge of greatness again' etc 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, an tha said:

The media stampede when a team at the top fails to win a game is quite incredible.

No team can just win every week, week in week out.

It is getting ridiculous now how any game where we don't win and it has been same for Man City leads to inquests and pieces about standards dropping, teams being burned out and so on....or like that Guardian piece and others i have read we are limping over the line somehow....83 fucking points from 30 games, that is incredible and is better already with 8 games to go than a fair few title winning teams managed - including some of Ferguson's Man Utd teams and the 'greatest title win ever' Leicester.

Meanwhile teams not averaging about 1.5 pts a game like Man Utd are praised week in week out and declared 'back' 'on the verge of greatness again' etc 

Manc obsession media for you mate.

Some bellend compared Bruno Fernandes and Pogba to Xavi and Iniesta the other day. Pogba does one great pass a game and he gets wanked over for weeks. 

1 minute ago, Doctor Troy said:

Some bellend compared Bruno Fernandes and Pogba to Xavi and Iniesta the other day. Pogba does one great pass a game and he gets wanked over for weeks. 

The most incredible thing about man utd is how such a stunted attack manages to win so many penalties. they must have broken the record this year.

5 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

Definitely.

Cunts.

27 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

I'm not sure anyone is saying we have a "shit small squad" (outside of heat of the moment comments), but there is a very big drop off from our 3 key the strikers.  And the bigger issue again with that is we play 3 up top so they start every game.  It's not like we play 2 up top and rotate through the big 3.  I don't think it's long term sustainable, and I think it'll prove to be an issue for us next season.

However, I also fully accept that the financial hit we have taken will have a major impact on anything we do, so it just might be something we have to accept.

Good post Johnny. I'd say our squad is not a small squad but agree that even though our back up players would get in most other teams the drop off is noticeable and tends to force Klopp's hand a bit. Klopp has been an absolute blessing as a manager and nobody else could do what he does with this group of players. 

38 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

I'm not sure anyone is saying we have a "shit small squad" (outside of heat of the moment comments), but there is a very big drop off from our 3 key the strikers.  And the bigger issue again with that is we play 3 up top so they start every game.  It's not like we play 2 up top and rotate through the big 3.  I don't think it's long term sustainable, and I think it'll prove to be an issue for us next season.

However, I also fully accept that the financial hit we have taken will have a major impact on anything we do, so it just might be something we have to accept.

A couple of posters above you have. There is always going to be a drop off but when we have rotated in league games early in the past couple of seasons, Origi. Shaqiri, Chamberlain and even Keita have all come in and contributed in certain games and thats where the squad has shown it's strength. It's very very hard to find players as good as our front three willing to come in and sit on the bench. 

5 minutes ago, RobbieOR said:

A couple of posters above you have. There is always going to be a drop off but when we have rotated in league games early in the past couple of seasons, Origi. Shaqiri, Chamberlain and even Keita have all come in and contributed in certain games and thats where the squad has shown it's strength. It's very very hard to find players as good as our front three willing to come in and sit on the bench. 

Spot on. Would have loved us to sign Werner but his signing would mean either he starts from bench or one of Bobby, Sadio or Mo gets dropped. Even if people say move Bobby back, someone in midfield has to make way.

This was always going to be one of our toughest games in our title run in. I look at it as a point gained.

16 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Good post Johnny. I'd say our squad is not a small squad but agree that even though our back up players would get in most other teams the drop off is noticeable and tends to force Klopp's hand a bit. Klopp has been an absolute blessing as a manager and nobody else could do what he does with this group of players. 

That's the price you pay for having the world's best goalkeeper, the world's best centre back, the world's best full-back pairing and the world's best front three.

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

If players leave who really should we need a back up gk,lb,cb, and a quality attacker. 

The problem as I see Jurgen will have is getting 'quality back up.' The two very rarely go hand in hand. That doesnt mean you shouldnt try. I heard we were interested in that young Turkish keeper. He might be quality, I dont know but even if he is, I dont see him dislodging Allison so, wouldnt be surprised if he pushed to play more games and leave after 2 seasons.

Same with any striker, there's going to be the Origi issue. Whoever he is, if he's 'quality' will want to play and not sit on the bench. If he's back up, he's not really going to challenge Bobby, Mo andSadio and likely be on a par with Div. Who'd be a manager, eh?

3 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

The problem as I see Jurgen will have is getting 'quality back up.' The two very rarely go hand in hand. That doesnt mean you shouldnt try. I heard we were interested in that young Turkish keeper. He might be quality, I dont know but even if he is, I dont see him dislodging Allison so, wouldnt be surprised if he pushed to play more games and leave after 2 seasons.

Same with any striker, there's going to be the Origi issue. Whoever he is, if he's 'quality' will want to play and not sit on the bench. If he's back up, he's not really going to challenge Bobby, Mo andSadio and likely be on a par with Div. Who'd be a manager, eh?

We have no left back cover, Milner for all his ability is not for that position any more, Larouci and Lewis are either not ready or not good enough in my opinion.

We need better cover at centre half due to Matip and Gomes being injury prone and the young kids not being ready yet if ever. And the other fella ‘ he who must not be named. We need a better back up keeper, the three positions I mentioned do not need superstars merely competence. A right sided player to replace Salah when needed would be nice, I rate Elliott but see him eventually in midfield.

As you say who would be a manager, and we have the best. Hopefully we can move some on and loosen the purse strings.

18 minutes ago, RobbieOR said:

As you say, the big issue is asking big players to be happy with a back-up place.  But then it's up to Klopp to convince them that the places in the front 3 are up for grabs. And they should be. All the very best clubs have real top quality battling for places. Certainly, I think a top forward could have challenged Firmino this season given his, to an extent, drop off. If the AFCON is in January, then we are going to struggle.

I also think we've one more season, at best, of Mane and then he'll want to move. So we need to plan for that also 

1 hour ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

That was quite shit, and I’d hoped to see more, but the way we play - especially against teams that just sit deep and deny us space to play in - is based on sharpness. That’s sharpness of thought, sharpness of touch and sharpness of movement, and by and large all three were lacking to some degree.

understandable really, given the break, but still disappointing.

It was obvious how much we missed Robbo in particular. Hopefully he’s fit for Wednesday night.

I thought there were some curious decisions by klopp. Why Lovren came on for Matip rather than move Gomez inside and change the shape a bit, given they weren’t attacking at all.

Minamino actually looked decent in that first half I thought.

Hooefully we can get back up to speed quickly.

I thought the same about bringing Lovren on instead of moving Gomez back into the centre and reshuffling at left back. Lovren's kryptonite is a strong physical forward like what Calvert Lewin seems to have become under Ancellotti, he just can't resist trying to outmuscle these type of players and ends up coming out second best. 

1 hour ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

We have no left back cover, Milner for all his ability is not for that position any more, Larouci and Lewis are either not ready or not good enough in my opinion.

We need better cover at centre half due to Matip and Gomes being injury prone and the young kids not being ready yet if ever. And the other fella ‘ he who must not be named. We need a better back up keeper, the three positions I mentioned do not need superstars merely competence. A right sided player to replace Salah when needed would be nice, I rate Elliott but see him eventually in midfield.

As you say who would be a manager, and we have the best. Hopefully we can move some on and loosen the purse strings.

I think the challenge (and it is obviously really difficult to have it nailed) is that we don't have like for like replacements/back ups for the key cogs in our machine.

Left back - literally no proper back up to an extremely attacking full back and whatever we do as a patch up job - namely Milner, just does not add same attacking threat and blunts us

Right Back - OK Gomez can go in there, but again he is just not the same type of player as TAA - so we lose all that width and attacking threat/range of passing and delivery he provides and again we are blunted.

A team that relies so much on its full backs to provide attacking width has no similar style back up.

Front 3 - again we have to shoehorn players who do not fit system in when one of them is missing, yesterday it was Minamino and he looked lost playing there, we have seem same thing with Lalllana and Oxlade in there.

Origi comes in and looks uncomfortable being asked to play wide.

Of course it is hard to have the same quality, but for me the cover needs to at least be similar in terms of attributes/styles of play/ability to fit system and our cover in these key areas just aren't.

I suppose you could argue that we should maybe change the system when key cogs are out, rather than try and hammer square pegs in round holes, but that comes with problems.

Of course all this is reasonably minor gripes given we are 20 pts clear at top of league and about to win it!

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

I'm not sure we can really take the piss out of other clubs for the view that visiting fans get.

Mind you, I'm sure many of them would rather stare at the underside of the Upper Anny than get a clear view of their teams being eviscerated.

Like looking through a letterbox at the back of there.

21 minutes ago, an tha said:

I think the challenge (and it is obviously really difficult to have it nailed) is that we don't have like for like replacements/back ups for the key cogs in our machine.

Left back - literally no proper back up to an extremely attacking full back and whatever we do as a patch up job - namely Milner, just does not add same attacking threat and blunts us

Right Back - OK Gomez can go in there, but again he is just not the same type of player as TAA - so we lose all that width and attacking threat/range of passing and delivery he provides and again we are blunted.

A team that relies so much on its full backs to provide attacking width has no similar style back up.

Front 3 - again we have to shoehorn players who do not fit system in when one of them is missing, yesterday it was Minamino and he looked lost playing there, we have seem same thing with Lalllana and Oxlade in there.

Origi comes in and looks uncomfortable being asked to play wide.

Of course it is hard to have the same quality, but for me the cover needs to at least be similar in terms of attributes/styles of play/ability to fit system and our cover in these key areas just aren't.

I suppose you could argue that we should maybe change the system when key cogs are out, rather than try and hammer square pegs in round holes, but that comes with problems.

Of course all this is reasonably minor gripes given we are 20 pts clear at top of league and about to win it!

Williams can do a job at rb but not over numerous games.

1 hour ago, dockers_strike said:

I'd just like to have back up keeper who doesn't bottle it when asked to play. Two potential CL trophies lost from goalkeeping performances is telling.