You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Everton (A) 21/6/2020

Bjornebye

Just grim in the final third last night. Completely lacking any kind of creativity.  Keita, minamino, Ox  it feels like we bought 3 types of the same player. Goodison derby a shit game is nothing new.

Until we get these 5 points im going to be in a constant state of horror. So close.

7 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Just grim in the final third last night. Completely lacking any kind of creativity.  Keita, minamino, Ox  it feels like we bought 3 types of the same player. Goodison derby a shit game is nothing new.

Until we get these 5 points im going to be in a constant state of horror. So close.

I don’t understand why Klopp keeps refusing to play Origi upfront. It’s bizarre.

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, redheart said:

Perhaps its the years of disappointment but if City beat Burnley, then we lose to Palace and City beat us then the lead could be cut to 14 points and I will start shitting myself!

You're probably not alone in thinking "if we're 14 points clear at the top, I will start shitting myself".

Maybe it's best that Anfield is shut.

Given how questionable Pickford is i'm surprise we didn't have attempts from outside the box (that I recall).  Seemed intent on walking the ball into the back of the net.

48 minutes ago, HolyHank said:

Klopp is obviously one of the best managers in the world, if not the best. 

Still, I find it difficult to understand why he insist on playing Origi and Ox out wide. The same goes for Minamino. 

We are still winning this, though.

Spending next to fuck all and having no squad depth is the simple answer. 

We've built a small squad, trying to be clever with players who can cover multiple positions.  Problem is, they're nearly all abysmal anywhere but where they should be. 

That said, with the exception of lovren, they're all more than good enough.  Never have we had a squad with so little dogshit in it but it's clearly lacking in depth everywhere but cm. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Given how questionable Pickford is i'm surprise we didn't have attempts from outside the box (that I recall).  Seemed intent on walking the ball into the back of the net.

In fairness to the Blooshite, they were quite effective at crowding out our players anywhere within 20 yards of goal.

As I said on the MF, I always think “we didn’t create a good chance” is a misused term. Obviously the biggest chance in the game was Everton’s one off the post. A very obvious excellent chance. But then we say we didn’t create anything?  I think we as fans need to see an obvious chance usually that involves the ‘keeper before it’s seen as that “great chance”. Yet when Kieta has that half struck volley shot that didn’t have much power, it rolled about 3-4 feet in front of Mane. Literally 1 metre nearer and it’s a tap in into an empty net. I’m more than happy with a draw after the break we had and missing two key players. 

11 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

As I said on the MF, I always think “we didn’t create a good chance” is a misused term. Obviously the biggest chance in the game was Everton’s one off the post. A very obvious excellent chance. But then we say we didn’t create anything?  I think we as fans need to see an obvious chance usually that involves the ‘keeper before it’s seen as that “great chance”. Yet when Kieta has that half struck volley shot that didn’t have much power, it rolled about 3-4 feet in front of Mane. Literally 1 metre nearer and it’s a tap in into an empty net. I’m more than happy with a draw after the break we had and missing two key players. 

See also, Firmino's scuffed shot, when he could have more easily played Mane in for a clear run on goal.

Just looking at the results for recent Derbies, I think we're all going to have to accept that Goodison derbies are joyless, dour shitty affairs.

The 3-3 in November 2013 was a classic match.  Since then, 6 Goodison Derbies have produced 3 goals.  (In the same period, 9 Anfield Derbies have produced 28 goals.)

It's a dogshit fixture against a dogshit team, who (for all the delusional noise of the worst of their fans) have accepted their place as a small club that can't afford to come out on the front foot against Liverpool.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, redheart said:

Perhaps its the years of disappointment but if City beat Burnley, then we lose to Palace and City beat us then the lead could be cut to 14 points and I will start shitting myself!

Try this one instead.....

City dick Burnley.

We beat Palace.

City fail to win at Chelsea the following night.

We are Champions.

2 hours ago, redheart said:

Or another way of looking at it is it’s still a massive gap of 14 points with six games left 

1 hour ago, Grinch said:

Spending next to fuck all and having no squad depth is the simple answer. 

We've built a small squad, trying to be clever with players who can cover multiple positions.  Problem is, they're nearly all abysmal anywhere but where they should be. 

That said, with the exception of lovren, they're all more than good enough.  Never have we had a squad with so little dogshit in it but it's clearly lacking in depth everywhere but cm. 

100%

Its glossed over when we avoid injuries to the fullbacks or front three but once one or two hit the whole plan of the team breaks.

That was quite shit, and I’d hoped to see more, but the way we play - especially against teams that just sit deep and deny us space to play in - is based on sharpness. That’s sharpness of thought, sharpness of touch and sharpness of movement, and by and large all three were lacking to some degree.

understandable really, given the break, but still disappointing.

It was obvious how much we missed Robbo in particular. Hopefully he’s fit for Wednesday night.

I thought there were some curious decisions by klopp. Why Lovren came on for Matip rather than move Gomez inside and change the shape a bit, given they weren’t attacking at all.

Minamino actually looked decent in that first half I thought.

Hooefully we can get back up to speed quickly.

My guess is that any future talk of asterisks by most of the press will concern what Liverpool might have done, and the style in which they might have finished this season, without lockdown. If we don’t break record points/record home wins, etc. It will always be a crying shame we never got that chance, but let’s just finish it off now, however we get there, in far from ideal circumstances.

34 minutes ago, RobbieOR said:

I've said this a million times before and I'm saying it again. You don't go deep in the champions league and title races in successive seasons by having a shit small squad. It's nonsense. 

I'm not sure anyone is saying we have a "shit small squad" (outside of heat of the moment comments), but there is a very big drop off from our 3 key the strikers.  And the bigger issue again with that is we play 3 up top so they start every game.  It's not like we play 2 up top and rotate through the big 3.  I don't think it's long term sustainable, and I think it'll prove to be an issue for us next season.

However, I also fully accept that the financial hit we have taken will have a major impact on anything we do, so it just might be something we have to accept.

• Upvote 1