You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Everton (A) 21/6/2020

Bjornebye

Guest Pistonbroke
1 minute ago, dockers_strike said:

Correct. To be fair, having a derby as the first game back wouldnt be your first choice either.

I'm extremely confident, and the position we find ourselves in backs this up. We can play a more expansive game against Palace. Win that and we'd only need a draw. I'd send the kids out against those City cunts and rest the big players for the next game at home to Villa. Not that we'll do that, JK and the boys would love to win the title at their place. 

Weird game because of the lack of crowd but in every other way, it was a typical derby game at Goodison.

I don't think we've gone ever full strength there under Klopp, and we didn't today. A few surprises in the starting line-up with Milner at left back and Minamino in for Mo, and we looked a little rusty after such a long lay-off. We didn't create too much and Everton were happy to sit back and play on the counter. The only opportunities of note in that opening half were a Big Bird header off target from Trent's free kick, Bobby dragging an effort wide after finding himself in space, and Minamino hitting one high and wide from distance.

We had a spell in the second half where we stepped on the gas, but there were no real opportunities carved out. Naby hit a volley wide after a bit of nice interplay with Bobby, and we had a few free kicks from outside the box, but nothing clear-cut.

Big Bird had to go off with a knock, Degsy came on and immediately gave the blooshite a lift after getting turned by Richarlison not once but twice. He clearly wasn't watching how Big Bird had handled him, instead trying to win the first ball each time. Those moments led to them drawing a couple of saves out of Alisson from efforts by Richarlison and Calvert-Lewin, plus Davies hitting the foot of a post from a rebound. Calvert-Lewin almost got on the end of a corner soon afterwards too. Completely unnecessary, but completely our fault because we weren't making the ball stick up front either.

Not great then, and a point is disappointing, but we have a 23-point lead (probably 20 points after tomorrow night) so that is still 7 games City have to make up on us. They can only get 87 points maximum, so it's all still very much in our hands.

Now that the first game back is out of the way, let's hope the players are much sharper and more incisive in the games to come.

• Upvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke
3 minutes ago, an tha said:

Not sure that is quite right with draw at oil cheats - Virtually but not quite.

We are on 83

They are on 60

They play Burnley, lets say they win so move to 63.

Give us your draw v Palace we move to 84.

So 84-63

They then go Chelsea  - say they win....84-66

We then play them - lets put your draw in = 85-67.

18 pts gap and would be 6 games left.

So we'd need 1 more pt to be 100% sure or them drop any pts in remaining 6.

Fuck (I should have rechecked my Math), still pretty confident mate...think I was factoring in a win against palace in my head but got mixed up with the draw scenario. Fuck it, just a matter of when and not if imo. We have far too many opponents left who are shite and I don#t think City will go through all their fixtures without dropping points somewhere. 

I’m honestly happy with the draw.  I would have taken it before the game.  They were shite and anonymous in midfield and we dominated possession without really threatening. Keita and Minamino did well I thought and Fabinho looked back to his normal self after a shaky opening 10 mins or so.

The performance doesn’t worry me at all.  What would have worried me is losing the game and the feeling that would have left on the players.  As much as everyone is saying it’s in the bag it literally isn’t until the points are on the board.  A couple of losses would cause absolute pandemonium.  In normal circumstances you would back our players to get through it.  This isn’t normal circumstances though.  You know city are capable of winning every game and us losing would encourage it.  A draw settles the nerves for everyone.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Pistonbroke said:

Fuck (I should have rechecked my Math), still pretty confident mate...think I was factoring in a win against palace in my head but got mixed up with the draw scenario. Fuck it, just a matter of when and not if imo. We have far too many opponents left who are shite and I don#t think City will go through all their fixtures without dropping points somewhere. 

Oh don't get me wrong - it is a matter of when not if you would have to say, and i don't believe they will win every game anyway.

I think we can win it this week - beat Palace and they fail to win at Plastic Bridge and it is done.

17 minutes ago, Kevin D said:

I'm very sympathetic to this argument, but generally I do think it's a mistake to attribute the fall of the Roman republic to any one specific thing.

I feel a right fool now.

I thought he was reciting The Iliad in its original form.

8 minutes ago, an tha said:

Not sure that is quite right with draw at oil cheats - Virtually but not quite.

We are on 83

They are on 60

They play Burnley, lets say they win so move to 63.

Give us your draw v Palace we move to 84.

So 84-63

They then go Chelsea  - say they win....84-66

We then play them - lets put your draw in = 85-67.

18 pts gap and would be 6 games left.

So we'd need 1 more pt to be 100% sure or them drop any pts in remaining 6.

Nah. they have 60 with 9 to play. if they win them all they get 87. But, if they draw with us, that means they can only get 85. We've got 83 before playing palace but if we draw with city, that gives us a point so 83+1 plus if we draw with palace that's 83 +1 +1 = 85.

1 minute ago, dockers_strike said:

Nah. they have 60 with 9 to play. if they win them all they get 87. But, if they draw with us, that means they can only get 85. We've got 83 before playing palace but if we draw with city, that gives us a point so 83+1 plus if we draw with palace that's 83 +1 +1 = 85.

Which is exactly what i said

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Given how close it is now, any scenario in which we and City finish on 85 each would see them win the league on goal difference. So, one more point would be required to guarantee the title.

42 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

They had 2 of sideshow's errors to give them goal plus his sending off.

Technically, 5 ie 5 points but I think if we draw the next 2 because of playing city who need to win all their games, that would be enough.

If City win tomorrow and we draw against palace and them, we'll be on 85 and the max city can get will also be 85.

One more point would guarantee it then

Guest Pistonbroke
4 minutes ago, TheDrowningMan said:

Given how close it is now, any scenario in which we and City finish on 85 each would see them win the league on goal difference. So, one more point would be required to guarantee the title.

It would require an absolute meltdown of epic proportions for us to finish on 85 points. 

7 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Wouldn't be if we lost every game after that and they won all of theirs, so wouldn't quite be confirmed without another point for us or a result other than a win for City.

No in that scenario it wouldnt but we're not going to lose the next 8 are we? Seriously?

City have to beat Burnley on Monday and then chelsea on Thursday before they play us and win every game.

As I said in a previous post, technically it's 5 points but 2 will be enough.

Here's what the Echo says.

Liverpool can be confirmed as Premier League champions at Anfield on Wednesday 24 June at the earliest - but only if Man City draw or lose against Burnley on Monday night.

The Reds would then need to beat Palace to secure their crown.

Should City win on Monday, then, as long as Liverpool also win on Wednesday, then a draw or defeat for Pep Guardiola's side on Thursday against Chelsea could hand the Reds the title.

How many points do Liverpool need to win the Premier League?

Liverpool still need five points from their remaining eight games to win the Premier League after the 0-0 draw with Everton at Goodison Park.

8 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

It would require an absolute meltdown of epic proportions for us to finish on 85 points. 

Yes. And that may happen if we lose against Palace. The psychological factor in this should not be underestimated. Having the title to lose after 30 years will cause anxiety and stress far beyond any normal situation.

ive watched a few of these games from the restart, and besides Palace last night, every team has looked unfit and like they're still in pre-season, and i even include Man City in that. 

The standard of football in these opening games compared to the Bundesliga has been night and day. Ive no reason why, but the bundesliga teams looked very sharp, the Prem teams look absolutely woeful

4 minutes ago, chrisbonnie said:

ive watched a few of these games from the restart, and besides Palace last night, every team has looked unfit and like they're still in pre-season, and i even include Man City in that. 

The standard of football in these opening games compared to the Bundesliga has been night and day. Ive no reason why, but the bundesliga teams looked very sharp, the Prem teams look absolutely woeful

All hanging out at Kyle Walker's party's?

1 minute ago, an tha said:

I doubt it would be if they took another 25 pts this season and we only took another 2

Only a pessimist would think that though. People seriously think we're going to lose at home to Palace, Villa, Burnley and chelsea andaway at Brighton, arsenal and Newcastle?

Jesus wept, even the 2014 side didnt collapse like that and this one currently has a 23 point lead plus city need to win all 9 games in just over 4 weeks.

Just now, ZonkoVille77 said:

All hanging out at Kyle Walker's party's?

have the prem teams had less time in full contact training compared the germans? i honestly dont know

But from the few game sive watched from both leagues, the standards of the germans is much much higher. They've looked just as sharp as ever, but the premierleague teams have been shite. 

I dont think all those extra substitutions and water breaks help the flow of the game either. 

Just now, dockers_strike said:

Only a pessimist would think that though. People seriously think we're going to lose at home to Palace, Villa, Burnley and chelsea andaway at Brighton, arsenal and Newcastle?

Jesus wept, even the 2014 side didnt collapse like that and this one currently has a 23 point lead plus city need to win all 9 games in just over 4 weeks.

I never suggested for a moment i think it will happen and i don't think it will.

In fact i think we will be crowned champions on Thursday.

But none of that changes that in the scenario we were discussing the draw at City would not quite be enough - it would leave us virtually there but a pt or any other city dropped pts to make it 100% certain.

• Upvote 2