You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Klopp talks about football transfers in the current landscape

TLW

Jürgen Klopp has struck a realistic tone when discussing the likelihood of big money transfers arriving at Liverpool this summer.

The fan reaction to the Reds deciding to pass on Timo Werner has been mixed with the club owners coming in for some criticism especially as he seemed to be a player that Klopp was reportedly very keen on.

But on the other side of the coin, there were some astute voices casting doubt on whether the striker was all that keen on the move, especially as he was far from guaranteed to be a consistent starter, and indeed if would be a good fit for the side.

Klopp spoke yesterday to Sky Germany (via The Mirror) regarding Werner and another player who has been linked in exciting midfielder Kai Havertz.

And he said in the current climate, all best laid plans are out of the window.

“There are a lot of good players on this planet.

“Timo Werner is a great player, Kai Havertz is a great player.

“Right time, opportunity - everything has to come together. Six, seven weeks ago, we didn't know if we could play again this year. 

“If we hadn't played the second half of the season, we would have thought, 'OK, when can you really play football again?' And now it starts right away.

“We act as if everything is already settled. It's not settled. 

“We use this little loophole we've been left to play football again Everything else we have to see the moment it happens. 

“We can't pretend now that everything's going to be fine in the future.

“Discussing with the players about things like salary waivers and on the other hand buying a player for £50-60m, we have to explain."

Klopp raised a valid point when mentioning that Football clubs have a lot more to weigh up other than just comings and goings in the transfer window at this point of time.

"There are all sorts of rumours in England about who Manchester United are going to pick, Chelsea are going to pick.

"It's rather quiet here (at Liverpool) at the moment, I think it's safe to say. 

“If you want to take it seriously and run a normal business and depend on income and have no idea how much you will earn... especially because we don't know when we can start playing with spectators again.

"At the moment, all clubs are losing money. Without spectators, we have to pay back the season tickets and probably sell none next year. 

“At least maybe without the first 10 or 15 games. The VIP areas won't be packed and the tickets won't be sold. This will have an impact on other partners and things will look a bit different.

Going by what the manager said, it seems like the dream of seeing the likes of Kylian Mbappe, Jadon Sancho, or Adama Traore wearing the Red of Liverpool may be on hold for the time being.

On a more positive note, Klopp signalled the chance for fans to salute their heroes in grand style even if it has to be sometime during next season.

klopp_pix.jpg

“There comes a day when life will get back to normal.

“When someone has found the vaccine, when someone has found a solution to the problem, when infection rates are zero or below - that day will come eventually. Then we have the right to celebrate what we want to celebrate on that day.

"If this is the 12th or 13th matchday of next season and we want to celebrate it - who is going to stop it? 

“Then we still have the trophy and then we can drive it around town and stand on the bus. If other people then think that we are completely crazy, I honestly don't care.”

“Can it then still be a special celebration? No question. It's different, but different is sometimes absolutely OK."

As well as the global pandemic, the world has been unified by the tragic death of George Floyd under the watch of members of the Minneapolis Police force.

People taking to streets has become the norm and Footballers have also been at the forefront making their views known on the matter including the Reds squad who "took a knee" at training last week.

Klopp was extremely proud of the stance they took.

“It's so natural for us that we didn't even think about sending a message at first. 

"Because it's completely normal, nobody realised that we would have to say it again. But then the boys noticed it. Then they spontaneously decided to do it.

"I have been very proud of the boys for a long time, but this was another extraordinary moment. When I saw them there and this photo was taken, I was really proud, because it is also an important message. 

“No question about it."

View full article

5 hours ago, Captain Milk said:

If the AFCON doesn’t take place next January, we’ll win the title next season as well.

It's fucking shite that our title hopes for next season pretty much do rest on that.

There is no way in my book that we or any other club should have to accept their employees who they pay huge sums to accquire and pay huge sums to, should be just taken away from them during the season like this.

• Upvote 1

Going by what the manager said, it seems like the dream of seeing the likes of Kylian Mbappe, Jadon Sancho, or Adama Traore wearing the Red of Liverpool may be on hold for the time being.

Pissed myself at this part 

6 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

Does anybody who constantly thinks that Klopp is mad at the owners for not spending ever read/listen what he actually says? Gonna go with no. 

You must trust politicians implicitly. It's crazy isn't it that some don't think they're always being candid. I'm sure Klopp always says exactly what he thinks about the owners. But I'm gonna go with no.

46 minutes ago, gkmacca said:

You must trust politicians implicitly. It's crazy isn't it that some don't think they're always being candid. I'm sure Klopp always says exactly what he thinks about the owners. But I'm gonna go with no.

Considering he'll be here till 2024, making that a stay of 9 years, he's hiding his contempt towards his bosses pretty well. Thanks for the information that people aren't always honest when speaking publicly, though. Eye opening insight by you. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, gkmacca said:

I'm no fan of fsg, they're cunts. But I honestly think klopp doesn't give a fuck. For him it's just more of a challenge of the deck is loaded against him. The trouble is he's pretty unique in football in that regard. So the day he no longer wants to be here or feels he should be getting a bit of help from fsg, we'll be fucked as there's no other top manager who'll be willing to work like that and we'll be back to gambles of people like Brendan Rodgers who was the best we could get at that time working with the tight purse strings but massive expectations that come with it. It's the same down at arsenal. Arteta might be great. But he is just a massive gamble. We model ourselves on their way of doing business.