You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Barnes: Jones will have to be patient for first team opportunities

TLW

John Barnes has issued a word of caution for those expecting the next wave of Liverpool youngsters to make a sizeable impression on the first team in the near future.

Curtis Jones is a player who came to prominence in the FA Cup this season starring in the third round win against Everton and backing it up in the next round against Shrewsbury.

That has led to some suggestions that the 19 year-old can have a impact in the Reds midfield as soon as next season.

But Barnes believes it will not be wise to put undue pressure on the talented academy graduate and let him develop naturally.

The Mirror (via BonusCodeBets) reported Barnes as saying:

“Liverpool will be quiet in the transfer market. But they’ll rely on the senior players that they have.

“There are a few young players who we see playing in the cup matches and, in the squads.

“But there aren't necessarily any Raheem Sterlings, or young Robbie Fowlers or Steven Gerrards.

“I don't want to put them under pressure. 

“So, while I expect Liverpool to be quiet in the transfer market – you’ve got the young boy, Curtis Jones, who obviously has made an impression in the first team every now and again.

"In terms of him forcing his way into the team ahead of the more senior players, I don't think that that's necessarily going to happen."

image.png

But fellow club legend Jamie Carragher has a slightly different point of view on the matter.

“Curtis has kicked on this year, but that’s what young players do.

"They just make a jump and you’re never quite sure when it’s going to happen but they have to make that jump if they’re going to rise to the ability of the first-team and it looks like he has made that jump now.

"When he plays in the younger team, it almost looks like he’s a first-team player dropping down to play with the younger players."

View full article

I'd take Barnes view of proceedings over Carraghers any time. I could listen to Barnes opinion on most things all day. Barnes is an intelligent,measured and thoughtful analyst of most matters inside and outside of football. Carragher is not really somebody I can take to as an analyst/critic,I find he has fallen a bit into the Sky bowl of hyperbole on a lot of occasions. If Klopp feels Jones is good enough then his chances will come.

If Jones is going to be ready for when (if) the AFCON goes ahead then he will need the odd appearance earlier in the season. 

I hope we can have this seasons league tied up after 1 or 2 games and we can then give him the minutes in a less pressure environment.