You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Poll sees Liverpool voted as the favourite Football team of the nation

TLW

Liverpool are on the brink of breaking a long title drought and according to a new poll, they can also revel in being referred to as the most popular team in the country.

All football clubs have their arch rivals and general ‘haters’ in the sporting landscape.

While Liverpool have a deal of animosity come their way due to their historical status in the game, the increase of social media users across various platforms have given berth to some pure vitriol from ‘supporters’ of other clubs.

The thought of the season being voided and Liverpool being denied their deserved reward for being head and shoulders ahead of the rest this season brought much joy and celebration as rival fans were happy to overlook the shortcomings of their own team.

Those clear minded folk not blinded by club ties would appreciate that the Reds have one of the most down to earth personalities in charge in Jürgen Klopp,and a group of players which play the game in the right way.

And perhaps the tide is turning in a more positive direction in the Football community with a YouGov survey saying that the Reds are currently the favourite team across the nation.

The Mail reports that the YouGov's FootballIndex tracker has Jurgen Klopp's side top with 8.3 per cent of the population ahead of bitter rivals Manchester United who sit second with six per cent of the votes.

image.png

The survey was certainly comprehensive in its nature taking 16 different metrics, tracking the opinions of the public every day. 

These metrics include the public's perceptions of clubs' management, players and coaches, fan culture, tradition and their record of success - even the attractiveness of their football.

Also.included in the poll was that Liverpool were clearly the most preferred team that neutrals would like to watch on TV.

Chelsea were a distant third on the overall list with 3.1%, Man City and Arsenal (both 2.0% ) and Tottenham (1.8%).

Wolves were in seventh place with (1.5%) while Newcastle, Everton and Aston Villa rounded out the top 10 with 1.4%.

Champions of Europe, Premier League champions elect and the favourite team in the nation.

Not a bad trifecta to have.

View full article

I can answer this on a local level, based on where I live. Our recent success has had the opposite effect on any popularity we may have had.

Although there are a lot of Liverpool fans in this area, they’re also the second most detested team, behind the Mancs. The gap  between us and them has reduced dramatically though. I’d even go as far as to say that, for some, we’re the new devil in town. 

There are very few Leeds fans that would admit for any affection towards Liverpool. Not the ones I know anyway. 

1 minute ago, YorkshireRed said:

I can answer this on a local level, based on where I live. Our recent success has had the opposite effect on any popularity we may have had.

Although there are a lot of Liverpool fans in this area, they’re also the second most detested team, behind the Mancs. The gap  between us and them has reduced dramatically though. I’d even go as far as to say that, for some, we’re the new devil in town. 

There are very few Leeds fans that would admit for any affection towards Liverpool. Not the ones I know anyway. 

I'd say age would probably come into this. A lot of us older fans can just about remember when Leeds were actually a successful side and were genuine rivals,we hated them of course but from a personal point of view I would say that has now become indifference.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, YorkshireRed said:

Living < 2 miles from Elland Road, I couldn’t give a shit what their small minded, dip shit fans think.

They’ve been an utter irrelevance & source of great amusement to me my whole life and especially since 2003.

”We’ll always have Viduka”. Good for you mate. We finished above them that season, qualified for the CL (which sent them on a downwards spiral) and won 3 cups that season, of which we knocked them out of one of them. 

I know which I’d rather have had. 

The country generally hates scousers and the perfect way to channel that hate is at LFC.  Despite all the fake moral positioning over racism the same cunts will equally come out with as much stereotypical hate towards people because of the location they grew up.  They’re yesterday’s racists.

As Scott M put we won’t be the most liked I don’t think but we will be the most watched and that’s because we’ve got the second largest fan base and the largest by far hate base.  Either way I find it strange that the sponsorships never seem to reflect this.

1 minute ago, Scott_M said:

Living < 2 miles from Elland Road, I couldn’t give a shit what their small minded, dip shit fans think.

They’ve been an utter irrelevance & source of great amusement to me since since 2003.

”We’ll always have Viduka”. Good for you mate. We finished above them that season, qualified for the CL (which sent them on a downwards spiral) and won 3 cups that season, of which we knocked them out of one of them. 

I know which I’d rather have had. 

I live about 6 miles from their ground, so I completely agree. Leeds fans are the most small minded, deluded fan base in the country. I know many on here will tip their hat towards Everton but they’d have to be really bad to match these clowns.

There’s a couple of my friends who are among their most deluded as well. One used to have a go at me because ER had taller floodlights than Anfield.

I don’t care what they think, just reporting a sense that the poll isn’t accurate in these parts. 

24 minutes ago, YorkshireRed said:

There’s a couple of my friends who are among their most deluded as well. One used to have a go at me because ER had taller floodlights than Anfield.

I don’t care what they think, just reporting a sense that the poll isn’t accurate in these parts. 

You just know DaveK and Catcherintheye will be frantically searching right now!

As for the Daily Xenophobe reporting this from a YouGov survey (?), then they’ll be trying to set us up for an epic fail somewhere down the line.

They were Ingham’s/Thatcher’s mouthpiece back in the day and haven’t changed much since.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, skaro said:

Leeding the way in diversity, 1964:

Not wanting to derail this thread, as I know they have one of their own, but I fucking hate everything about them. Clearly we operate in different footballing stratospheres, so I should just ignore their nonsense, but I get drawn into arguments far more regularly than I should. 

26 minutes ago, coachpotato said:

You just know DaveK and Catcherintheye will be frantically searching right now!

As for the Daily Xenophobe reporting this from a YouGov survey (?), then they’ll be trying to set us up for an epic fail somewhere down the line.

They were Ingham’s/Thatcher’s mouthpiece back in the day and haven’t changed much since.

I’ve watched some of their games with one of them. I’m not kidding, when the opposition have the ball, he goes blind. Only ever actually sees Leeds playing like a modern day 1970 Brazil. Even when they’re 0-3 down at home.