You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Report: Proposal for fake fan noise to be part of Premier League broadcast

TLW

There may not be fans allowed into stadiums but broadcasters are looking to bring the full experience to the lounge rooms of football lovers across the nation.

The Mirror reports that Sky Sports are one channel that are considering using crowd noise for games played behind closed doors.

But if you do not like that artificial experience, the same game can be viewed in its natural format on one of their complementary channels like Main Event.

The discussion of feeding in crowd noise to break up the monotony of hearing managers barking instructions from the touchline and general echoey sounds reverberating through the empty stadiums had come to the fore when German broadcasters decided to include it in their match feeds.

In the main the reception to the idea has been favourable with the NRL in Australia also following suite.

The premier Rugby League competition was the first sporting competition to resume in the country after the Covid-19 shutdown and Simon Fordham the head of broadcasting for the host channel explained how the process works.

“They’ve written a program where all the sounds go into a synthesiser and they have created a non-repetitive loop or a buzz track at a base level, which is what you hear during general play.

“As required there is an operator there who uses a foot pedal or a fader from an audio desk, that you would use to increase not only the volume of the crowd noise in the mix but also expand its intensity.

"As it goes up, more layers and files get added.

"It’s not just the same noise getting louder. It actually - the software that has been written - enables it to increase in intensity or density.

“Booing? Giving it to the referee? Yep, it's all possible. 

“The audio operator has the ability to add jeers, boos or whistles if he believes the "home crowd" would have thought a forward pass had been thrown or the away side was offside.”

image.png

Fordham also explained that the volume of the cheers for the designated home team were piped in at a extra level to add that extra reality for the viewers at home.

Back in England and League bosses have set up a special working group to look at several proposals including half-time interviews, dressing room access and post-match interviews which will be discussed at Thursday’s Premier League meeting between the 20 clubs.

Clubs understand the need for TV Companies to produce content, but several managers have voiced concerns about dressing room access and also half-time interviews especially as they see the dressing room as sacred turf and the battle maybe be extremely difficult for the broadcasters to win.

Match commentators have been given the green light to be at the stadium along with touch-line interviewers but studio pundits will be based at a location off-site.

View full article

I watched some of the Bayern v Dortmund match a week or two ago, the only footie I’ve seen since it started back up, and the crowd noise on that worked fine.

id read people on here and elsewhere who had watched other matches saying it was weird and eerie and like watching a training match because of how quiet it was, but what I watched looked and felt like a football match.

im for it.

so long as its something that is never used again when crowds return.

I'm all for it, just switch it off if you don't like it.  Even better if we can get the big screens in so the players have supporters to interact with, no it's not the same but better than nothing. 

29 minutes ago, Jimmy Hills Chin said:

Funny this, I tend to think like you but zi know a few lads who have had the fake noise on the German games and they say that it’s better than no noise at all and feels more like a league match.

Yeah, it's better.

"As required there is an operator there who uses a foot pedal or a fader from an audio desk, that you would use to increase not only the volume of the crowd noise in the mix but also expand its intensity."

The operator will be pretty bored for Everton's home matches.

I'm watching it with the sound off and AC/DC turned up loud. For the game that can seal the title for us I'm going to play YNWA on repeat for 90 minutes plus for an hour before and a month after the final whistle. Might even leave it on at half-time. 

2 hours ago, Jimmy Hills Chin said:

Funny this, I tend to think like you but zi know a few lads who have had the fake noise on the German games and they say that it’s better than no noise at all and feels more like a league match.

I've watched a few of those games and found the noise of the players shouting to each other and the coaching staff giving instruction was absolutely fine. What has struck me more than anything is the lack of home advantage given the seemingly large amount of away wins. Maybe this is what has provoked the fan noise debate?

Fuck the fake noise shit. I just want to hear the players shout at each other 'fucking cunt!' and 'why the fuck didnt you spot my run, you blind fucking meff?' Would also be fun hearing them rip into oppo players when they score like 'where's your fucking 'null and void' now, cunts?!'

17 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Fuck the fake noise shit. I just want to hear the players shout at each other 'fucking cunt!' and 'why the fuck didnt you spot my run, you blind fucking meff?' Would also be fun hearing them rip into oppo players when they score like 'where's your fucking 'null and void' now, cunts?!'

The very reason why they want to use it...…..

20 minutes ago, YorkshireRed said:

If it helps the players then why not give it a go. It’s going to be weird enough for many so if this means the games have even a fraction more edge to them then that’s better for the players and better for the fans. 

I’m pretty sure the players won’t be able to hear it, unless someone puts the telly on really loud in one of the corporate boxes and leaves a window open.

Its only on the telly.

5 minutes ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

I’m pretty sure the players won’t be able to hear it, unless someone puts the telly on really loud in one of the corporate boxes and leaves a window open.

Its only on the telly.

Ah, probably should have read it in more detail. Assumed they were piping it out from the stands. In that case, I’m against it. It’ll be like canned laughter on a sitcom.