You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Jodie Comer

The whole thing with Jodie Comer today is just bizarre, how has it gained traction?

A seemingly nice girl who, I think, to this point has shown herself to be quite decent with her heart and morals in the right place (depending on your point of view of course) suddenly being piled on because of who she's supposedly in a relationship with and his supposed views?? 

I don't get it, just Twitter being Twitter I guess.  I mean, I understand why people might be upset but this "cancelled" business I don't understand.

2 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

It speaks to the insidious process though doesn’t it.  The firing comes because of a social media storm leaking into real life, the defunding comes because of a concerted effort of contacting employers and institutions. The intention is to remove the person, make them unemployable and cow others into submission.  

"Angry mob" mentality is always ugly and often dangerous.  Social media  - Twitter in particular  - makes it a lot easier to summon a mob.

Have you ever read Jon Ronson's "So You've Been Publicly Shamed". As you'd expect, it's brilliant and a bit scary. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

The word for getting fired is "fired".

The word for getting defunded is "defunded".

"Cancelled" is just a bit of shit jargon. 

cf. virtue signalling, snowflake, triggered, cuck etc. Fucking shite this new lingo that’s about. Proper smarmy.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, belarus said:

cf. virtue signalling, snowflake, triggered, cuck etc. Fucking shite this new lingo that’s about. Proper smarmy.

Woke, gaslighting & boomer are another three.

People who use them should all be locked in a barn that is then set on fire.

Utter, utter cunts.

• Upvote 2

Much as I hate the average Twitter user, they're less to blame than the hysterical marketing departments and fellow celebrities who've given a lot of people the reaction they were hoping for. 

"Greggs pasties are for everyone, JK Rowling is no longer welcome in our stores." 

"Thanks Greggs for giving JK Rowling what for, I don't eat pasties but if I did I'd buy one from your shop."

Greggs: "Oh shit." 

It's like the wankers who bleat about James Bond. James Bond is a dinosaur and must be replaced by a queer woman of 'color' and I'll remain outraged until this is done. If it was though, nailed on, they would't go and watch it anyway, they'd move on to the next bollocks and the old Bond fans wouldn't watch it either. Its plummeting popularity would be blamed on vile misogynistic 'basement dwellers'. 

These people are quasi-professional chip pissers, they exist only to piss on chips, probably because they're extremely unhappy.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Section_31 said:

I thought she was alright. The show was made for BBC America though so the lead actress (an MI6 agent) seemingly had to be American with no explanation given.

Does my head in this. When they cast someone in a role and ask them to play a specific accent and the person they’ve cast can’t do that accent? Why?? Just get someone who can do that accent, or if you really want that specific person to play the role, make allowances if their accent is shit.

In that contagion - Jude Law is a blogger living in America, but does an Australian accent, without any context or reference to it. Why?? He is already a foreigner from an English speaking country. When these stars go “you know, I’m going to do an Ozzie accent here” the conversation should go...

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, belarus said:

30 minutes ago, Mook said:

Woke, gaslighting & boomer are another three.

People who use them should all be locked in a barn that is then set on fire.

Utter, utter cunts.

9 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

"millennial" 

12 months from now these words (along with gammon, Karen, etc) will seem hopelessly outdated as a new lexicon of shite seeps through. 

1 minute ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

12 months from now these words (along with gammon, Karen, etc) will seem hopelessly outdated as a new lexicon of shite seeps through. 

See I don’t even know gammon, but Karen is another prime example. Wasn’t there a Susan at some point for an interfering old bag?

Sandra Oh was the other one of the three lead actors portraying female trainee surgeons in the first few series of Greys Anatomy.

Not unlike her role in Killing Eve she suffers* from being not as fit as her fellow lead(s).

*when I say suffer, I’m not taking about her ability as an actress. I also recognise that she only suffers comparison when said comparison is being made by a shallow, feckless individual such as myself. 

To be fair, in the two biggest roles I’ve seen her in, she’s been up against it. 

B89B350B-8C0C-4D3F-9CAD-A09CDE412BD5.jpeg

313EE927-17C5-4A3B-AD30-BD58B058B4D2.jpeg

514853E2-3045-4D28-8494-9B6FF17217A4.jpeg

• Upvote 2

Imagine a fan of a TV show thinking they have the right to tell someone who and who they can't date based on the character they played. What, does there have to be some kind of committee who the actress has to run potential matches by to ensure they fit the criteria? Fuck this shit, man. 

Yet they're the same people who'll scream "love is love" at the top of their voices while claiming to advocate for a society where people can openly love whomever they want without fear of discrimination. 

This person is clearly mentally ill. 

Screenshot 2020-07-08 at 11.56.01 AM.png

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Chris said:

Imagine a fan of a TV show thinking they have the right to tell someone who and who they can't date based on the character they played. What, does there have to be some kind of committee who the actress has to run potential matches by to ensure they fit the criteria? Fuck this shit, man. 

Yet they're the same people who'll scream "love is love" at the top of their voices while claiming to advocate for a society where people can openly love whomever they want without fear of discrimination. 

This person is clearly mentally ill. 

Screenshot 2020-07-08 at 11.56.01 AM.png

That’s pretty tame for twitter. Group think and the rank lack of critical thinking is rife. 

18 minutes ago, Numero said:

That’s pretty tame for twitter. Group think and the rank lack of critical thinking is rife. 

How is it becoming so prevalent and powerful though? It's genuinely, genuinely bat shit mental. 

2 minutes ago, Chris said:

How is it becoming so prevalent and powerful though? It's genuinely, genuinely bat shit mental. 

It’s so easily digested. Short format, easily swallowed, just a quick read and retweet. It spreads like wildfire, relies on the perceived authority of the retweeting party, and the lack of critical thinking of the reader. It’s a perfect recipe for the spread of bullshit. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Numero said:

It’s so easily digested. Short format, easily swallowed, just a quick read and retweet. It spreads like wildfire, relies on the perceived authority of the retweeting party, and the lack of critical thinking of the reader. It’s a perfect recipe for the spread of bullshit. 

Well put.

• Upvote 1