You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Jodie Comer

3 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

I think she’s being cancelled now for dating a Trump supporter. 

Haha I saw she was trending but assumed it was something to do with that talking heads stuff. Just had a peek.... people are fucking nuts. 

29 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

What does cancelled mean?

Edit: just googled it. Social media is absolutely teaming with weapons it really is

There was an open letter sent out yesterday signed by lots of prominent academics, authors etc complaining about cancel culture.  Some famous people signed it, Noam Chomsky amongst them.  JKR also signed it so now people who signed the letter who agree she should be cancelled are backing out. It’s hilarious. 

3 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Literally nothing. 

But Rico loves it. It's his favourite Harrumph.

Mmm, that’s not true though is it?  It doesn’t matter if you are a billionaire for sure.  But if you are say, a children’s author who gets fired for expressing her support for JKR then it really does.  Or an evolutionary biologist who gets people trying to get her fired and funding removed for stating science. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Stickman said:

I hope they cancel Killing Eve ...It’s fucking shite 

I think if they edited out every element of Killing Eve apart from the bits with Jodie Comer alone on screen then it would be watchable. She doesn’t necessarily even have to be speaking, although she does do a sexy accent. 

Stick that on for an hour every week and I’d tune in. As it is, there’s too much unnecessary shite (the story, other characters etc.) taking up too much Jodie Comer time. 

I sometimes think about what the World would be like if I could have everything I don't like 'cancelled'.

My conclusion is that it would be even worse as I'd have nothing to fucking moan about.

• Upvote 1

The first two of Killing Eve were ok. Got half way through the first episode of the new one and it did nothing for me. 

Jodie Comer is superb in the first two though. The rest are just annoying. One hot little scouse minx that Comer. 

1 hour ago, Rico1304 said:

Mmm, that’s not true though is it?  It doesn’t matter if you are a billionaire for sure.  But if you are say, a children’s author who gets fired for expressing her support for JKR then it really does.  Or an evolutionary biologist who gets people trying to get her fired and funding removed for stating science. 

The word for getting fired is "fired".

The word for getting defunded is "defunded".

"Cancelled" is just a bit of shit jargon. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

It speaks to the insidious process though doesn’t it.  The firing comes because of a social media storm leaking into real life, the defunding comes because of a concerted effort of contacting employers and institutions. The intention is to remove the person, make them unemployable and cow others into submission.  

2 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

It's similar to a group of teenage girls ostracising one of their former mates for shagging a fella one of them fancied.

It does have a sinister side to it though- a software developer killed himself last year after being 'Me Too outed' for being abusive to an old girlfriend. There was no real evidence for what he was supposed to have done, there was some evidence that she was lying and it seemed to be part of a concerted action by a few to get some sort of games development Me Too bandwagon rolling, but that didn't matter. His life and livelihood was destroyed with a single Tweet.

13 minutes ago, skend04 said:

To be fair people wanting people fired isn't anything new. It's just that Twitter is the gathering point for everyone now and gives it a collective voice.

Wanting people to lose their job is Grade A shithouse behaviour & always has been.

• Upvote 3

26 minutes ago, skend04 said:

To be fair people wanting people fired isn't anything new. It's just that Twitter is the gathering point for everyone now and gives it a collective voice.

11 minutes ago, Mook said:

Wanting people to lose their job is Grade A shithouse behaviour & always has been.

We've had it on here over a neg. 

• Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, Dave D said:

Killing Eve would have been alot better if Eve herself hadn't been so poorly cast.   

I thought she was alright. The show was made for BBC America though so the lead actress (an MI6 agent) seemingly had to be American with no explanation given.

15 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

I thought she was alright. The show was made for BBC America though so the lead actress (an MI6 agent) seemingly had to be American with no explanation given.

Just thought she was very wooden and it may have been intentional, but she always looked a bit stunned.