You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Featured: That was the week that was (May 26 - Jun 1 2020)

tlw content

theweekthatwas.jpg

Tuesday May 26:

Ok so you know I said yesterday that I’m over all the Istanbul stuff and it does nothing for me these days? Turns out I was wrong. LFCTV had Carra and Xabi doing a watch along of the game together so I thought “I’ll give it a little watch for 5 minutes”. 45 minutes later I’m sat there thinking “that was fucking boss”. 

The thing that I didn’t really appreciate at the time but it stands out massively now is just how much better than Milan side was than ours. I mean I knew they were better, but not to the extent that I see it now. Not only did I go into that game thinking we could win it, but at half time at 3-0 down I was STILL telling people it wasn’t over and if we got an early goal etc

Now fair enough, I was shitfaced and I’m sure without the benefit of alcohol I wouldn’t have been so full of bravado, but it’s only really now when I look back that I realise we shouldn’t have had any chance. They were better than us in virtually every position and some of the all time greats of the modern era in their side. I didn’t see it that way back then because I was in the moment and had a vastly inflated opinion of just how good some of our lads were. 

Classic example being Baros. He was my boy, I loved him and at that time I wouldn’t have swapped him for Shevchenko or Crespo. I look back now and just have to laugh. Gerrard is probably the only player we had that would have got into Milan’s starting eleven. Xabi was great but he was only 22 back then don’t forget. Carra and Sami were top players but Milan had Stam and Nesta.

I thought Carra summed it up perfectly when he said that apart from that six minute spell Milan played brilliantly all night and we were barely able to lay a glove on them. Those six minutes though. Fucking hell.

Meanwhile, Mbappe is praising us again. I don’t know if the financial side of it could ever be sorted (especially now), but this lad would come and play for us in a heartbeat I reckon. I think he’s part of the reason I’m so underwhelmed by Werner you know. That and the fact that any time I’ve watched Werner he’s looked like he couldn’t trap a bag of cement.

We’re being linked with my boy Adama Traore today too. Another player I’d take over Werner all day (which I'm fully aware that in time might make me look like a massive fool). He’s developed hugely over the last 12 months but is still really raw. Imagine what he could be though after Klopp worked his magic on him.

I get that there are a lot of you reading this who aren’t sold on Traore, but look at it this way. Even his critics would surely agree that there are days when Traore is completely unplayable, right? Shit, we’ve seen it against us, Robbo even spoke about it recently. Well Klopp would make those days much more frequent, like he's done with Salah and Mané. So what’s not to love about that? If we signed Adama, I wouldn't just be posting the dancing Van Damme gifs, I'd be acting them out.

Wednesday May 27:

Liverpool and Cheltenham were among the worst hit areas when Covid descended upon us in March. Can’t think why that would be, can you? The government isn’t buying it, of course. “There are many factors that could influence the number of cases in a particular area, including population density, age, general health, and the position of an area on the pandemic curve.”

Yeah, I’m sure allowing 250k race goers to congregate together in a confined space and then go off to spread it into all the local bars, coffee shops and restaurants had nothing to do with it. Or allowing 3,000 fans from Madrid to fly in to attend a footy match, even though in their own country that was no longer allowed because of the escalating rate of infection.

I’m 99% sure I caught it at that Madrid game. I know without any question that I passed it onto to my wife and daughter but thankfully we’re all ok (although my wife still isn’t fully recovered and has had various other issues as a result of it), but for all I know though I’ve passed it on to someone else who may have died, or who spread it to someone else who did. There’s no way of knowing, so I try not to think about it too much but it is in the back of my mind.

I tell myself I probably didn’t because I work from home and don’t often come into contact with others, but maybe I’ve been in a shop and touched something and passed it on that way? I didn’t show symptoms until five days afterwards so who knows what may have happened in those five days. Thankfully I’d already decided the week previously that we were all staying away from my parents, or I would have passed it on to them too.

How many others like me got it that night and then spread it around? People died as a result of that game being played and because of the decision not to ban the away fans. There have been so many bad decisions taken by those in authority that this isn't even the worst of them, but no-one will ever be held accountable for any of it. They never are.

Onto lighter things now, and Newcastle reportedly want Shaqiri. He’s better than that, although if he did go there he’d be a massive cult hero and they’d worship him because he’d be their best player. Maybe that would appeal to him, rather than being a little fish in a big pond? Wait, I’ve just realised something. I haven’t seen him in any of the training videos. Is he still injured? 

*sends message to journo mate* 

Yes, he is. This has to be the longest lay off with a calf injury since Pat Van Den Hauwe back in the day. Has Shaq been messing around with the Bennetts too?

Random rumour of the day. We’re in for PSG right back Thomas Meunier. Not having that at all. We’ve got the best right back in the world and behind him we’ve got a kid who looks like he’s got everything it takes to be a great fill in any time Trent needs a rest. 

If you ignore his age and the fact he’s a kid that’s come through the Academy, and just judge Neco Williams on the performances he’s put in when he’s played in the first team, I reckon he’s not been spoken about anywhere near enough.

He’s been man of the match in at least half of those appearances, and you can make a case for it in all but one of the others too. Neco is going to be a top player, so no, we don’t need an expensive, highly paid established international to act as cover for Trent. 

This is uncannily like a situation I found myself in as Portsmouth boss on Footy manager last week. I’ve got a brilliant young Danish right back (you won’t know him, he’s a regen as I’m into my 12th season now) and I had Brazil’s first choice right back rotating with him. It was a perfect set up, except I had a home grown kid coming through who was class so I reluctantly sold the Brazilian to clear a path for him.

These are the tough decisions us top managers need to make, and I’m sure Klopp is cut from the same cloth as me so Neco’s path will be clear and we won’t be signing Meunier or anyone else for that matter.

Now onto your 'weekly Chico'. Today it's not Stevie Nicol talking bollocks, it's someone talking bollocks about Stevie Nicol. Tony Evans says Nicol was better than Maldini. Fucking hell is it any wonder we get so much shit from other fans?

Maldini is widely regarded as the greatest left back of all time. Stevie Nicol was brilliant and massively under-rated by many, but just stop it, please. Now if he'd said that Andy Robbo was better than Maldini, I think that's something we could all get on board with.

This is just a teaser, click to view the full article

Please note that the Week that Was is only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

• dave u pinned this topic

I didn't know your family had been hit with that virus shit Dace, sorry to hear that.  Fingers crossed for a full recovery for Mrs Dave too.  That is exactly why I won't go near my own family, that fear of being the one who passes bad shit on.

Great to have a report to read to break up the monotony.  The Maldini/Nicol comparison is a no brainer, but Nicol would have beaten him in a crisp eating competition and I don't reckon Maldini ever scored a first team hat trick.

• Upvote 1

I think I might have caught Covid at that Atletico game too.

I had bought some flowers to drop round at my Mum's on Mothers Day which was the following weekend but I woke up that morning not feeling right and decided I wouldn't take chances on passing her something to bring into her house.  It took me 4 or 5 weeks before I was properly back to normal and I'm just so glad I didn't go around there.

I was at the shops to get the flowers the day before and remember looking around loads of sports shops for things to do exercise at home that day too.  It's a horrible thought to think I could have passed it on to anyone.

• Upvote 3

kinell dave, wondering where the times gone since you've turned forty, wait til you become an arl arse like me turned 69 thats the time to start wondering where the times gone, i've suddenly realised times not on my side anymore and if we dont win the league this year i may never see them win it again , unless we sign mbappe of course and then we'd win it every fuckin' year 

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, dave u said:

That's the reason for it? Incredible.

What's the deal with Newcastle and City then?

There are that many journalists kissing City's arse that the FA are worried they may get chopped to pieces in the St. James Park  press room.

5 hours ago, Arnaud said:

Baros was so poor, never understood how  he got awarded the my boy award. 

Baros, Cissè, Pongolle, Le Tallec, lets get champions of Europe now ....

One word: hair. 

• Upvote 4

If Baros was bad, how come loads of people had money on him becoming top goalscorer at the Euros.

Baros was not bad at all, he could have got a great partnership with Morientes going, but then he was sold before we could witness it.

When you look at the replies to social media posts showing the photo from today, it’s full of negativity and whataboutery and calls for the club to not get involved in politics. Somehow a gesture of solidarity with the 'Black Lives Matter' movement has been turned into a stick to beat the club with again by its detractors. This isn’t a club thing though, it’s the players.

*shakes head*

2 hours ago, Yer Ma! said:

*shakes head*

The club should issue a statement to say this was driven by a couple of the players (Virgil van Dijk and Georginio Wijnaldum according to local press) and that the club distances itself from all political gestures. Some players may have felt uncomfortable being put in that position but peer pressure is a powerful thing. Let Anfield and LFC be only about the sport, and let everyone get along free from news, politics and the real world for at least 90 minutes every Saturday afternoon.

• Downvote 1

• dave u unpinned this topic