You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rodgers: I did not see sacking coming

TLW

Always a risky appointment who did very well for the first few years and then fell off a cliff.

He should have gone straight after the Stoke game

Attacking he was brilliant but his team couldn't defend to save their lives and his transfers were, by and large, dreadful 

• Upvote 1

As others have said Stoke was results-wise enough to have been sacked for. The Madrid away selection was the nadir and showed IMO a cowardly attitude to the Champions League. Whereas Klopp can get away with surprise selections (mostly) because of his motivational prowess and tactical awareness, Rodgers was sadly lacking in those departments.

That being said, I bear him no ill will and look back fondly at some of the scintillating football of 2013/14 which he should at least in part be credited for.

18 hours ago, lifetime fan said:

Throwing his back room staff under the bus summed him up completely. 

i think with the 6-1 loss to Stoke he thew himself under the bus aswell. Any self respecting manager after the run we had would have known that was the beginning of the end he had lost the players and most of the fans. To this day i still think we had Klopp on our radar and had spoken to him about the job because of the lack backing Rodgers in the transfer market that summer but with Klopp wanting a break Rodgers was given a few months more

I don't mind the fella. He gets a rough deal sometimes because of what Klopp has brought to the team but had he been replaced with another manager that failed to meet expectations then Rodgers would be viewed more favourably.

That said the Stoke debacle was shameful.

• Upvote 1

Rodgers was great 2012-2014. Built one of the most exciting football teams I've ever seen. Yes, we were porous at the back. But reinventing Gerrard into a deep-lying playmaker, Coutinho in a midfield 3, 18-year-old Raheem Sterling as number 10 in front of the best front 2 in PL history. It was scintillating to watch, I can't describe how much I enjoyed watching that team, it was absolutely bonkers and an incredible journey, the Gerrard slip remains one of the worst moments of my life. I don't think I'll ever get over it truly, nonetheless the ride that season was phenomenal and will always live fondly with me. I just wonder had Carra decided to stay on one more season could we have picked up those few extra points, that side really lacked a leader or presence at the back. 

• Upvote 2

• 6 months later...
On 03/06/2020 at 18:06, LFC 6 Times said:

Rodgers was great 2012-2014. Built one of the most exciting football teams I've ever seen. Yes, we were porous at the back. But reinventing Gerrard into a deep-lying playmaker, Coutinho in a midfield 3, 18-year-old Raheem Sterling as number 10 in front of the best front 2 in PL history. It was scintillating to watch, I can't describe how much I enjoyed watching that team, it was absolutely bonkers and an incredible journey, the Gerrard slip remains one of the worst moments of my life. I don't think I'll ever get over it truly, nonetheless the ride that season was phenomenal and will always live fondly with me. I just wonder had Carra decided to stay on one more season could we have picked up those few extra points, that side really lacked a leader or presence at the back. 

We had no European football, the best player in the world, and the rest of the league was wank.

The reason we ultimately missed out on top spot were the injuries to Gerrard and Sturridge at the same time around Xmas. We dropped a lot of points in that 6 weeks or so.

Yes, in a 4 or 5 month period, some of the football was unreal. But that's 4 or 5 months from a total of what, 40?

I had a lot of hope for him, after the start we made in 2013-14, but 3rd game into the next season, that was all gone.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, m0e said:

We had no European football, the best player in the world, and the rest of the league was wank.

The reason we ultimately missed out on top spot were the injuries to Gerrard and Sturridge at the same time around Xmas. We dropped a lot of points in that 6 weeks or so.

Yes, in a 4 or 5 month period, some of the football was unreal. But that's 4 or 5 months from a total of what, 40?

I had a lot of hope for him, after the start we made in 2013-14, but 3rd game into the next season, that was all gone.

It was a great 4 of or 5 months, yes, but in the historical context of a football club (4 of 5 months of cracking football for no honours... and an immediate plummet after losing one player: Suarez) it was exhilarating and not much else.

We could say it was down to the Gerard slip - but there was the Palace draw, also conceding 3 at home to Swansea, and 3 away at Stoke and Cardiff, barely scraping by at Norwich and Fulham... there were many many times we could have come unstuck but somehow didn't, generally because of Suarez, Sturridge and Gerrard (pens) and not because of any tactical genius at the time.

It was a great attacking 15 or so games, with little accountability... and I reckon Rodgers is actually proving himself much more now at Leicester.

• Upvote 2

On 02/06/2020 at 03:55, TLW said:

The events of the 4th of October in 2015 remains a distinct memory of Brendan Rodgers.

It was the day that the Northern Irishman was told his services were no longer required after another below par performance which was symbolic of the malaise the club was in at that time.

The current Leicester manager recalled his memories to The Beautiful Game podcast(via the Mirror) of driving home after the 1-1 draw in the Merseyside derby when he got the call.

“There were a few stories but I didn't know a thing. Clearly the decision was (already) made but I wasn't aware of it.

“The first I spoke to the ownership was with Mike Gordon on the drive back home after the game.

"When I arrived at the training ground, I got in the car and I was driving home and I got the call from Mike. That was the first time I knew.

"I thanked them for it, for the experience, I knew where they were coming from and we parted on good terms. We both moved on.

To this day, Rodgers says he has no axe to grind with the club and instead sees his time at the Reds in a positive light.

image.png

"I had a wonderful experience.

"The first two years in particular of building towards that run that we had. We then lost one of the real catalysts of the team.

"The third year I found, from a coaching perspective, we weren't doing well then we changed it and went on a run and came back into it.

"But at the end of that season when Aston Villa  beat us (in the FA Cup Semi Final,) I think everyone wanted to finally get a trophy and after we lost that we dipped, then of course the last game of the season (6-1 defeat at Stoke) wasn't a true reflection of how we worked."

The tenure of Rodgers is hard to define in a nutshell.

You cannot call it a true disaster because there was some glorious and thrilling football played during that 2013/4 season which came ever so close to ending the title run.

Seeing the likes of Luis Suarez in his pomp destroying defences at will, the exciting development of Raheem Sterling, and the rebirth of Daniel Sturridge and Philippe Coutinho after frustrating spells at their previous clubs are memories that many fans recall with a deal of fondness to this day.

But it most certainly wasn’t a success either with no trophies, a number of insipid performances and some questionable dealings in the transfer market.

Then there were questions about how the departures of Jamie Carragher and Steven Gerrard were handled.

Carragher in particular was a avid student of the game and many felt he was a manager in waiting.

However Rodgers detailed why an offer to be on his coaching staff was not forthcoming.

“It was straight forward.

"I was going in with the intention of asking him to come into my coaching staff rather than the playing side.

“But when I actually met him and joined as manager and met him before we started pre-season, my communication with him seemed more as though he wanted to be on the playing side and still focus on playing.

“If that was the case this wasn't going to be the role for him."

Rodgers used a example of what he had in mind for Carragher.

“A bit like Kolo Toure. You think of what Kolo has done for me.

“I took him to Liverpool, then at Celtic, and when he wasn't sure what he wanted to do I gave him the offer of coming into my technical team and that's what I was looking for in a similar role for Jamie.

“He was right he wanted to continue playing but I didn't sort of see the player-coach combination at that time. But he was absolutely first class for me in my time there.”

View full article

Fuck off back to the AAFMF