You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rodgers: I did not see sacking coming

TLW

28 minutes ago, The Guest said:

It was a completely left field choice to begin with and people were still fuming Rafa wasn’t still here or rehired to relegate us so everyone could celebrate what a great manager he was.  He was never accepted even when we were flying in 13/14.  It’s clear as day the majority of the transfers weren’t his fault and circumstances fucked him.  The transfer committee was still in its infancy and had its hits and missed.

His biggest problem was that he had no pull because he wasn’t a big name but that wasn’t his fault and didn’t appear to impact his coaching ability. He was a forward thinking coach and something the club was in dire need of after a decade of negative football had left the club going backwards while football was moving on.  He was very close to beating the biggest cheats the game has ever seen whilst having to deal with signings like Aspas and Moses on loan.  He’s proving what a good manager he is by what’s happening at Leicester and I think another big club will give him a go soon and he will be a success.

The Real Madrid and Stoke games are cheap shots.  He was rotating players against Real because he knew getting in the champions league the following season was the best way to keep his job and attract players.  It was a calculated cold decision Klopp isn’t scared of taking either and repeatedly takes despite everybody flapping at him as well.  The stoke game was a dead rubber and all the players were deflated at how the season had planned out.  It’s no excuse because it was embarrassing but it wasn’t all on him.

With all that being said Klopp being available was too good to turn down.  Even though some of things that went wrong were out of Rodgers’ hands it was still the situation the club was in.  It needed refreshing and it needed a manager to reinvigorate the squad.  As much shit as most of the Rodgers era players took and take into Klopp’s tenure he still had faith in them and they played their part in getting us where we are now.  The sniping at Rodgers now from fans is just embarrassing and Everton behaviour in my eyes.  He’s nothing but respectful and always has been.

There was a song sung at every away game comparing him to Shankly. God you can chat some utter turd sometimes 

It was a completely left field choice to begin with and people were still fuming Rafa wasn’t still here or rehired to relegate us so everyone could celebrate what a great manager he was.  He was never accepted even when we were flying in 13/14.  It’s clear as day the majority of the transfers weren’t his fault and circumstances fucked him.  The transfer committee was still in its infancy and had its hits and missed.

His biggest problem was that he had no pull because he wasn’t a big name but that wasn’t his fault and didn’t appear to impact his coaching ability. He was a forward thinking coach and something the club was in dire need of after a decade of negative football had left the club going backwards while football was moving on.  He was very close to beating the biggest cheats the game has ever seen whilst having to deal with signings like Aspas and Moses on loan.  He’s proving what a good manager he is by what’s happening at Leicester and I think another big club will give him a go soon and he will be a success.

The Real Madrid and Stoke games are cheap shots.  He was rotating players against Real because he knew getting in the champions league the following season was the best way to keep his job and attract players.  It was a calculated cold decision Klopp isn’t scared of taking either and repeatedly takes despite everybody flapping at him as well.  The stoke game was a dead rubber and all the players were deflated at how the season had planned out.  It’s no excuse because it was embarrassing but it wasn’t all on him.

With all that being said Klopp being available was too good to turn down.  Even though some of things that went wrong were out of Rodgers’ hands it was still the situation the club was in.  It needed refreshing and it needed a manager to reinvigorate the squad.  As much shit as most of the Rodgers era players took and take into Klopp’s tenure he still had faith in them and they played their part in getting us where we are now.  The sniping at Rodgers now from fans is just embarrassing and Everton behaviour in my eyes.  He’s nothing but respectful and always has been.

There was a song sung at every away game comparing him to Shankly. God you can chat some utter turd sometimes 

4 hours ago, Barnesey said:

His backroom staff were moved on in the summer before Jurgen joined. I'm convinced he must have known then and was just holding the fort until the new man got a start date. I'm also convinced the signing of Bobby (that summer) was a Kloppo signing and nowt to do with Brendan.

But I hold no hard feelings; we had a great run with BR and Luis and wish him well in the future.

Yeah I'm convinced Bobby was a Klopp signing Rodgers didn't have a clue were to play him when he first came  into the team i seem to remember him being used on the right yet when Jurgen turns up he's turned him into the world beater .

2 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

That song comparing Rodgers to Shankly was godawful. The nursery rhyme melody was almost as offensive as the words. Sounded like something the Mancs might come up with. 

It was truly woeful.... but we were playing some unreal footy at the time and top of the league so you just kind of go along with anything

I find I like Rodgers more the further removed we get from his time here. Despite his obvious flaws that he can't deal with having people who aren't yes men work on transfers and having no clear tactic, I think he has a strong personality.

The best players he worked with; Suarez, Sturridge, Coutinho, Gerrard and Sterling all pretty much liked him. He seems like a guy with a certain charisma/force of personality. And his soundbites are iconic. Guy is a quote machine. 

21 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

I find I like Rodgers more the further removed we get from his time here. Despite his obvious flaws that he can't deal with having people who aren't yes men work on transfers and having no clear tactic, I think he has a strong personality.

The best players he worked with; Suarez, Sturridge, Coutinho, Gerrard and Sterling all pretty much liked him. He seems like a guy with a certain charisma/force of personality. And his soundbites are iconic. Guy is a quote machine. 

His soundbites are iconic got all the wrong reasons.   A comedian who's still to win anything of note in the game. 

Thank fuck we've moved on long ago from those dark days. 

4 hours ago, Ron B said:

Nah. Went to Celtic, improved them, won loads, did better than the previous fella, left them in a better state than when he arrived. I can see how the timing might leave a bitter taste, but it gave him time to get his ideas implemented as early as possible at Leicester, and it’s clearly been a good appointment for both him and them. 

Ronny Delia was ok but yeah Rodgers was a perfect fit at Celtic. Had the same impact O'Neil did when he came. I was over the moon because I never jumped on the "fuck him" bandwagon when he was sacked from here. I was glad he went and obviously Klopp followed but the vitriol was uncalled for. 

That said, he could have waited until the summer to leave Celtic. Leicester would have waited. It was a smarmy (I'm bigger than this) move. Supposed to have grown up a Celtic fan. It left a very bad taste in the mouth. 

I still think he is a very good manager and right now Leicester is a good fit for him. I can see him ending up at Spurs or Chelsea. 

Him being in one of the envelopes was a turn up for the books like. Soft cunt. 

1 hour ago, Anubis said:

Does anyone know if our fans at sway games ever sung a song comparing Rodgers to Shankly?

Not at sway games.

Apparently loads of our fans sung at away games comparing Rodgers to Shankly.

And also apparently loads of our fans sung at away games comparing Rodgers to Shankly.

But ultimately the truth is loads of our fans sung at away games comparing Rodgers to Shankly.

1 hour ago, 3 Stacks said:

11 minutes ago, S.i.t.M aka The Boring One™ said:

Not at sway games.

Apparently loads of our fans sung at away games comparing Rodgers to Shankly.

And also apparently loads of our fans sung at away games comparing Rodgers to Shankly.

But ultimately the truth is loads of our fans sung at away games comparing Rodgers to Shankly.

The awful truth.