You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

China Crisis

On 16/06/2020 at 18:49, Red Phoenix said:

Once again proving that governments can be up there with the stupidest bunch of idiots on the planet. Over half a century of problems in the area and they still can't even work out where a fucking border line is supposed to be. You could probably get a bunch of high school kids together that'd work something out in almost no time, but governments have to spend decades fighting and disagreeing, not being able to hack losing a bit of territory for the sake of peace. Muppets.

Kings in a Catholic style,The Borgias.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This isn't looking great

Tennis player (Former Wimbledon doubles champion) Peng Shuai accused a former Chinese government politician of sexual assault. She hasn't been seen since and an email that has supposedly come from her saying "everything is fine" and the accusations are not true, she's just resting at home which people are claiming is blag has come out. 

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/11/17/tennis/peng-shuai-naomi-osaka-intl-hnk/index.html

• 3 weeks later...

https://news.sky.com/story/china-guilty-of-committing-genocide-against-uyghur-people-tribunal-finds-12490720

China guilty of committing genocide against Uyghur people, tribunal finds

Sir Geoffrey Nice QC stressed there is no evidence of mass killings, but that China's policies in Xinjiang amount to genocide. It comes after China said the UK, Australia, Canada, and the US would "pay the price" for boycotting the Beijing Winter Olympics because of their concerns.

A tribunal has found that China is guilty of genocide against the Uyghur people and other minorities in Xinjiang.

The tribunal also found China guilty of crimes against humanity, including forced sterilisation, sexual violence, enslavement, torture, and forcible transfer, all beyond reasonable doubt.

It comes after China said the UK, Australia, Canada, and the US would "pay the price" for boycotting the Beijing Winter Olympics because of their concerns over human rights abuses.

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-59764029

A famous statue at the University of Hong Kong marking the Tiananmen Square massacre was removed late on Wednesday.

The statue showed piled-up corpses to commemorate the hundreds - possibly thousands - of pro-democracy protesters killed by Chinese authorities in 1989.

It was one of the few remaining public memorials in Hong Kong commemorating the incident.

• 6 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/08/2022 at 10:26, ZonkoVille77 said:

I'd have to video myself walking up to that and saying "Tea. Earl Grey. Hot."

EDIT: So it won't serve or deduct money for dissidents. But you've already got the food. And it doesn't know what you do with the food afterwards. So you could just walk away and eat the food and it hasn't deducted any money from your account. So, free food.

4 minutes ago, Anubis said:

I'd have to video myself walking up to that and saying "Tea. Earl Grey. Hot."

EDIT: So it won't serve or deduct money for dissidents. But you've already got the food. And it doesn't know what you do with the food afterwards. So you could just walk away and eat the food and it hasn't deducted any money from your account. So, free food.

Walking away with the food without paying for it would immediately flag you as a dissident I reckon? Maybe there's a helpline for those type of issues "Hi, I got free food and I want to pay for it, like a good citizen." 

Fuck knows in reality - mad country. But I can't help admire the tech behind it all.