You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

China Crisis

Sorry to anybody who thought this was going to be about the synth band formed in Kirkby in the late 70s. 

How are things going move forward with China given all the shit that's happened lately ?

In the last year alone, we've had the Hong Kong protests and the Covid virus. Then at a time when the whole worlds eyes are on them, they go and create another situation that has people flocking to the streets in protest again. Added to that, they're not being cooperative in helping to find out just exactly where and how this virus started and their human rights record is questionable to say the least.

I've just had sky news on and I'm sure one of the stats they put out was, China is responsible for 60% increase in CO2 emissions since Greta Thunberg has been alive. It went on to say they're building the equivalent of one coal fired energy plant per week. Did I mishear it as surely to fuck that can't be right ?

It just feels like China is taking the same stance as Putin and to an extent Trump in that they just don't give a fuck what the rest of the world thinks and they'll do what the fuck they want.

We're in no position to hold China to account as they've got so much money invested in the UK. It looks like China and the USA are headed towards a cold war and we're likely to be caught in the middle of it. 

This is off topic but relevant, a Space X astronaut was on Joe Rogan's podcast a few months ago and said that the Chinese don't make any effort to clean up the junk they leave in space, this ties in nicely to their ever apparent disregard for everything else. They don't seem to give a fuck about the consequences of their actions and have a blatant lack of respect for their own people let alone everyone else's. 

10 minutes ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

Sorry to anybody who thought this was going to be about the synth band formed in Kirkby in the late 70s. 

How are things going move forward with China given all the shit that's happened lately ?

In the last year alone, we've had the Hong Kong protests and the Covid virus. Then at a time when the whole worlds eyes are on them, they go and create another situation that has people flocking to the streets in protest again. Added to that, they're not being cooperative in helping to find out just exactly where and how this virus started and their human rights record is questionable to say the least.

I've just had sky news on and I'm sure one of the stats they put out was, China is responsible for 60% increase in CO2 emissions since Greta Thunberg has been alive. It went on to say they're building the equivalent of one coal fired energy plant per week. Did I mishear it as surely to fuck that can't be right ?

It just feels like China is taking the same stance as Putin and to an extent Trump in that they just don't give a fuck what the rest of the world thinks and they'll do what the fuck they want.

We're in no position to hold China to account as they've got so much money invested in the UK. It looks like China and the USA are headed towards a cold war and we're likely to be caught in the middle of it. 

Being a Communist country, it's not a big surprise that Capitalist America would see them as a big threat but it seems since Trump took over, they seem to have stepped it up a level. My assumption would be that because the US has taken such a hard line stance - which could certainly have had a big impact on their economy - that they feel they have to be even more productive to continue their growth.

I know very little about the country and it's place in the world, but I have met quite a number of people from China and some are quite pleased to be out of their country due to how it operates. One person from China told me that as a people they always see other people as foreigners, even when they are in another country.

On the flip side, the Chinese are actually leading the way on green tech.

https://time.com/5714267/china-green-energy/

They've also got a rep for developing poorer countries. They've invested a lot in infrastructure projects in Africa for example. Not suggesting this is altruistic mind you, but is in marked contrast to the west's attitude to Africa.

The Chinese have got one foreign base overseas and the yanks have got something like 500.

I don't wanna come over all Dennis Tooth here, they're responsible for all sorts of heinous shit, but this changeable attitude we have towards other countries tends to depend on whether or not they suit our interests. 

When we were building our economies around cheaply made iPhones china was great, a modern miracle, we educated their students seemingly unconcerned with the fact we were training their next generation of tech and business leaders while our own kids were being priced out of degrees. We didn't care, because the price was right.

Now the picture has changed because they cunningly utilised the business we handed them, built a middle class, and are now challenging the west's status as the paramount power. So now they're cunts. They seemingly stole all these iPhone factories, scooped them up out of Detroit and other ruined US cities and transported them brick by brick to Shanghai. They also cunningly foisted all their youngsters on us for a 40k a year education. 

I've never been more cynical of the US's and UK's motives than I am today. Reminds me of that scene in Falling Down: "I'm the bad guy?"

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

Once again proving that governments can be up there with the stupidest bunch of idiots on the planet. Over half a century of problems in the area and they still can't even work out where a fucking border line is supposed to be. You could probably get a bunch of high school kids together that'd work something out in almost no time, but governments have to spend decades fighting and disagreeing, not being able to hack losing a bit of territory for the sake of peace. Muppets.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

Once again proving that governments can be up there with the stupidest bunch of idiots on the planet. Over half a century of problems in the area and they still can't even work out where a fucking border line is supposed to be. You could probably get a bunch of high school kids together that'd work something out in almost no time, but governments have to spend decades fighting and disagreeing, not being able to hack losing a bit of territory for the sake of peace. Muppets.

If only you had a bigger platform to solve most of the wars in the world mate.