You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

How did you vote in previous General Elections?

Guest Edwyn C

Guest Edwyn C

Long time lurker but only recently signed up to TLW. It's alway's fascinated me reading the political threads how people blame policy or personality for a success in a general election. 

So what's your voting history? Was it policy, leader, local MP or family pressure? What made you vote for a particular PM or Party? 

Different ages on the forum, my first election i could vote was 1997. So just start from when you could first vote. 

1997 - Labour 

2001 - Labour

2005 - To be honest i forget. Lib Dems or Greens because of the Iraq war

2010 - Greens - so tempted to vote Lib Dems because of their tuition fees policy and they were more to the left than Labour. I think i voted Green though 

2015 - Greens

2017 - Labour

2019 - Labour 

Have always voted Labour yet don't count myself as a Labour supporter as such, I just think they're the only party that ever has a chance of stopping the Tories. 

I despise the Tory party, I grew up under them and spent most of my life under them. In hindsight the New Labour years were a great time. Before that it was 18 years of poverty, homelessness, public sector run into the ground, graffiti and piss the standard hallmarks of most northern cities and towns. Sounds familiar don't it? A brief interlude in my 40 years on Earth living under a government that actually built things rather than knocked them down, that at least pretended to give a shit about me and mine. 

Usually vote labour in council elections but would vote for any non Tory/UKIP if I thought they were a good councillor.

• Upvote 1

Labour all the way until 2005 then one vote for Lib Dems.  Technically two for the Libs as there was a by-election in my ward.  Then back to Labour.  Next will be Green for me.  I've had enough of left/right politics, it's all science and data for me.  

• Like 1

Guest Edwyn C

I understand Blair's Labour was well preferable to any Tory government. But it was still nowhere near addressing the problems in society. I stopped voting Labour because they became Tory lite. Yes well better than Cameron/May/Johnson/ But we need and needed so much more than that. 

Guest Edwyn C
4 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

May I be the first to welcome you with a heartfelt "Fuck off, Code".

Ha ha thanks. I've been lurking long enough to know ( i think) Code is a Scandinavian madman/politician from what i can gather?  But i don't know the full extent of his forum history.  

My father in law did well under the witches government, idolises her to this day and has called me a commie after a rioja too many.

My Dad also did well under the witches government but only ever voted for society not just himself.

Like my Dad im not selfish.

That should answer the question.

Guest Edwyn C

Yes it answers the question why you voted. But not how you voted in each election. I only started the topic because some people say " I would have voted for them but for that policy. Or i would have voted for them but with a different leader" . I was just interested in peoples voting history through the years. Do they base it on leaders, policy, or maybe media influence, personal circumstances etc 

But thanks for the reply, and commie and rioja in the same sentence made me laugh for some reason so thanks for that! 

From 2005 Labour except for 2010 when I voted lib dem, at the time they were saying a lot of the right things to catch my attention, had a lot of momentum behind them too, looked like it could throw a bit of a spanner into the usual order of the 2 party system. 

Then came a tory led hung parliament, I wasn't too disappointed, my young optimistic mind imagined that the lib dems would reign in the tories from acting like total dickheads, but then came the realisation that Clegg had sold his arse and was more interested in keeping Cameron happy than actually attempting to implement any of the changes he promised. Don't think I'll be trusting them again any time soon. 

So looks like it's Labour for the foreseeable, not that it matters much, people are thick and will happily vote against their own best interests. 

4 hours ago, Edwyn C said:

Long time lurker but only recently signed up to TLW. It's alway's fascinated me reading the political threads how people blame policy or personality for a success in a general election. 

So what's your voting history? Was it policy, leader, local MP or family pressure? What made you vote for a particular PM or Party? 

Different ages on the forum, my first election i could vote was 1997. So just start from when you could first vote. 

1997 - Labour 

2001 - Labour

2005 - To be honest i forget. Lib Dems or Greens because of the Iraq war

2010 - Greens - so tempted to vote Lib Dems because of their tuition fees policy and they were more to the left than Labour. I think i voted Green though 

2015 - Greens

2017 - Labour

2019 - Labour 

Blow me fuckface. Go to hell. I'm sick of you.

• Upvote 4

2005 - Lib Dem. Couldn't vote for Blair, Kennedy was sound, and Lib Dems had more chance of beating the Tories in my constituency anyway.

2010 - Lib Dem. Basically completely had off by Clegg. The lying fucking cunt. This is probably the only vote I regret. Only personally though, it being a Tory safe seat means it didn't/doesn't really matter.

2015 - Green. Was never going to vote Lib Dem again and, whilst I didn't really have anything against Miliband, Labour were a pretty sad entity at the time. The complete acceptance of the parameters of debate was just pathetic.

2017 - Labour. Social Democratic policies meant I could vote Labour.

2019 - Labour. Although I knew this was a waste of time. Brexit ensured the cunt party would clean up.

4 hours ago, Edwyn C said:

Yes it answers the question why you voted. But not how you voted in each election. I only started the topic because some people say " I would have voted for them but for that policy. Or i would have voted for them but with a different leader" . I was just interested in peoples voting history through the years. Do they base it on leaders, policy, or maybe media influence, personal circumstances etc 

But thanks for the reply, and commie and rioja in the same sentence made me laugh for some reason so thanks for that! 

Voted in every General and Local since eligible. Only ever voted Labour but have considered Greens. I would vote tactically to block tories.

53 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Edwyn can go in the Summer. 

I vote by post and happily share it on this forum to encourage folks to do likewise, but given what we know about Cambridge Analytica and the dark arts of the alt-right, I think it's pretty fucking cheeky for some knobhead to rock up and just go "how have all you weirdo commies all voted over the last 25 years?"

I have voted Labour in every possible election (local council, Westminster, Europe) since I turned 18 in 1989; I’ve never missed an election and have always voted in person. I love the feeling of actually completing my ballot paper and putting it in the box. It still feels like a significant act to me even in these days of a crumbling sense of the relevance of actual democracy in favour of the social media gobshite version where people think that venting online has meaning beyond personal catharsis.

I’ve also been a Labour Party member on and off for twenty years. While I once did a very tiny and insignificant bit of campaigning, I am pretty far removed from the description “activist”. I am a member primarily to have voting rights within the party and to help fund its activities. 

• Upvote 2

1992- Lib Dem. I was a student at Bath and there was a big push to get Chris Patten out- that worked, but the election exit poll that night was even more shocking than the one last year.

1997- 2005- Labour, with decreasing enthusiasm each time as Blair disillusioned us all.

2010- Lib Dem. As others have said, never again, reinforced by that squirrel-abusing moron playing into Johnson's hands last year and giving him the early election he wanted.

2015 + 2017- Labour

2019- SNP, my constituency went from a solid Labour seat in 2010 to an SNP- Tory marginal after Milliband lost Scotland.

Guest Pistonbroke

83 was the first election I was eligible to vote and I voted Labour, despite the military warning us all we should vote for the Tories. The fuckers actually made a big deal of it and always used the affect on wages as their main play. Rumours were that they knew exactly who had voted for who as you had to give your ballot paper to Admin and one of the lads who worked in that office said they were checking them. He didn't say anything else and I couldn't say if this was a widespread thing within the forces at the time or purely down to who the CO of a unit was. I bet they disposed of quite a few. Also voted Labour in 87 but then left the military in 90 and decided to stay in Germany and wasn't eligible to vote thereafter. My vote would always have gone to anyone who aligned themselves with my views and for the benefit of the wider public, which rules out the Tories/UKIP etc.