You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Footstock - Trading and fantasy football

dave u

Tournaments don't really interest me, but I do like the idea of buying Harvey Elliott for peanuts and then selling him for a huge profit when he wins the Balon d'Or in a few years.

Presumably the people who would buy him would be doing so to try and win the tournaments? Otherwise I don't see the point in buying anyone at a high price.

1 hour ago, dave u said:

Tournaments don't really interest me, but I do like the idea of buying Harvey Elliott for peanuts and then selling him for a huge profit when he wins the Balon d'Or in a few years.

Presumably the people who would buy him would be doing so to try and win the tournaments? Otherwise I don't see the point in buying anyone at a high price.

Yeah that's a way to make profit on the card Dave.

As he's not getting much Premier League time now, his card is low rating. If he does go on to perform in the PL, his card rating would improve. 

The higher the card rating, the less likely they are found in packs, the less likely that someone would have him in their collection.

That will increase the price, as traders would want to buy him to earn money on the tournaments etc. 

8 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

What do you mean by 'card?' Are they like football trading cards or top trumps?

Yeah they're very similar to cards, I class a player in my collection as a card. 

For example I hold 4 sadio mane's, but I'd say I have 4 Mane cards. Sounds a bit weird now I'm saying cards haha. 

I guess they're officially called players in your collection.

2 minutes ago, dave u said:

So who is the most expensive player on there? I'd guess someone like Rashford or Trent due to their age? 

Trent is the 2nd most expensive. Bruno Fernandes is first, due to his high point scoring (and lack of him showing in cards) as he's really new to the platform.

Trent is the best scoring defender, due to his assists mainly!

Koumetio & Norris are the youngest Liverpool players available, at 17 years old. Footstock do add players upon request, but not immediately. I think this is so that the packs aren't flooded with players that never actually play. (Useless in the tournaments, unfortunately!)

2 minutes ago, dave u said:

And if we don't get them in packs we can buy them from other people who might want rid of them, right?

That's right. 

So there's a good chance if Werner joins, his price could be as high as these. 

He will only be available in packs, so when a trader packs him he can put him on the market for whatever price he wants to. 

He could start at £100, but then another trader could get him in a pack and it may drop to £99.99. 

All about supply and demand for a player! 

4 minutes ago, dave u said:

What happens when a player moves abroad? For example, if Trent was sold to PSG and someone had just paid £200 for him, are they down the £200?

His price would most likely start to drop, as traders sell their cards to recoup the money.

If you decide not to sell, he will be changed to an 'inactive' card. This inactive card can be swapped out for another random card of the same Star Level.

We've been informed that Footstock are looking at expanding leagues, so this might not be an issue moving forward.

Ok that's reassuring. Not that I'm spending £200 on Trent. FFP (aka the wife) wouldn't allow me to do that.

I have bought Minamino though, so if he ends up leaving in a year and tearing shit up in the Bundesliga it'd be nice to see my investment pay off.

I just assumed they're cheap because they don't score goals and because they're often rotated.

What's the best way to make money on midfielders? Pick up younger ones who are likely to be a goal threat when they play more?

I was looking at Gendouzi from Arsenal and he was dirt cheap even though he's only 21 and plays every week. Presumably because he never scores that's why he's pretty much worthless? Same with Fabinho for that matter.

12 minutes ago, dave u said:

I just assumed they're cheap because they don't score goals and because they're often rotated.

What's the best way to make money on midfielders? Pick up younger ones who are likely to be a goal threat when they play more?

I was looking at Gendouzi from Arsenal and he was dirt cheap even though he's only 21 and plays every week. Presumably because he never scores that's why he's pretty much worthless? Same with Fabinho for that matter.

Yeah that does make a difference as a regular goal scoring midfielder will score relatively higher in tournaments. 

Yeah that's a good strategy, but it does rely on the player eventually delivering the goods! The benefit being that these cards never expire

8 hours ago, dave u said:

I just found a weird anomaly. Tony Gallagher is valued at £3.09 for some reason, which is more than loads of our first team players. I doubt he'll ever play a game for us, so why would be valued so highly?

Interesting, there's a trader out there that must be hoovering up these cards. 

Either that or there's not many of the Gallagher cards for sale, meaning a trader has set this price and is waiting for someone to have a punt 

The platform doesn't control the pricing structure, it's all done by traders. 

Hope that Clears it up! :-) 

• dave u unpinned this topic
  • 8 months later...
On 29/05/2020 at 22:04, FootballTrader said:

@Captain Turdseye Yeah the player pricing is definitely something to get to grips with.

You see the In-form Defender in the world 1/3 the price of a benchwarmer at City!

It's due to the fact that if Jesus scores a goal in tournaments, he will score more points than Virgil would for defending.

I don't want to spam it, but if you click that guide I linked in my other comment, it explains the tournament process etc. (such as points scored per action)

Does it explain what happens if the company goes under, similar to Football Index recently, losing people hundreds, thousands, millions of pounds? 

On 02/06/2020 at 09:04, FootballTrader said:

That's Football Index with On the Pitch & Off the Pitch :-) 

Ha. Yeah. Those daft buggers at FI. What a ‘card’ they are.