You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Australia

Lee909

On 07/07/2020 at 01:54, Strontium Dog™ said:

Jesus, that's tragic. At least her sentence was suspended; there's no way you could justify jailing her.

On 20/10/2021 at 14:45, Bjornebye said:

Really sad story from over there. A 4 year old girl has gone missing from a campsite on the west coast. 5 days she's been missing along with her sleeping bag. 

Why do I always smell a rat?

24 minutes ago, Champ said:

Why do I always smell a rat?

Understandable in this case, given the family was camping 45 miles away from home, and the child was found in a house a few minutes away from the family residence. A bit like me going on holiday to Blackpool and getting abducted by one of my neighbours.

15 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Understandable in this case, given the family was camping 45 miles away from home, and the child was found in a house a few minutes away from the family residence. A bit like me going on holiday to Blackpool and getting abducted by one of my neighbours.

Yeah it's actually nothing like that whatsoever considering Carnavon is pretty much the only relatively densely populated area in miles and miles from where she was taken. Plus, I don't believe she was found hid in a draw under a bed. 

• 2 months later...

Cleo Smith: Man pleads guilty to kidnapping Australian girl - BBC News

Cleo Smith: Man pleads guilty to kidnapping Australian girl

_121323355_fdpnyz9uyaocxmz-1.jpg

An Australian man has pleaded guilty to abducting four-year-old Cleo Smith and holding her at his home for 18 days.

Cleo vanished from her family's tent last October while on a camping trip in Western Australia, sparking a huge search that gripped the country.

Police later found her at a stranger's house in her hometown of Carnarvon, a short drive from the campsite.

Terence Darrell Kelly, 36, admitted a charge of child stealing to a magistrate on Monday.

He was remanded in custody to face the Perth District Court in March, and is expected to be sentenced at a later date.

Australian media reported that Mr Kelly's guilty plea had come as a surprise ahead of what many expected to be a lengthy legal process.

He has been held in a Perth jail since 5 November - two days after police smashed their way into his locked house, found Cleo inside, and arrested him on a nearby street.

_122957223_gettyimages-1236357433.jpg

Vision of the rescue released at the time showed the young girl identifying herself to officers and smiling.

Her family later released a statement saying they were "so thankful that our little girl is back within our arms".

They had been on the first night of their holiday at the remote Quobba Blowholes camping ground when she went missing between 01:30 and 06:00 on 16 October.

Cleo had been sleeping on an air mattress next to her younger sister's cot. When her mother, who had been sleeping in the second room of the tent, got up in the morning, Cleo was gone and the tent door was open.

A police task force of more than 100 officers investigated her disappearance.

They ultimately found "really important" information about a car that led them to Mr Kelly's house, Commissioner Chris Dawson said in November.

Local media reported the breakthrough came when police traced a mobile phone number to a phone tower near the campsite around the time of Cleo's abduction.

More details about the abduction are expected to be made public in the sentencing hearing, news outlet Perth Now reported.

Mr Kelly is yet to enter a plea on a separate charge of assaulting a public officer.

2 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Quite amazed the kids were sleeping closest to the door of the tent and not right next to their parents,particularly in a tent.

Our tent has three rooms, there’s two doors in the middle room, then one each at either end. When were you last in a tent Vlad?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jose Jones said:

Our tent has three rooms, there’s two doors in the middle room, then one each at either end. When were you last in a tent Vlad?

It's been a while admittedly but I have a thing about screening kids based on stuff like putting myself between traffic and the kids on pavements and such things. It's just something we,as a family,have always done. I thought others would do it by habit. If not I would have thought those young kids would be literally in the same room as their parents.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...