You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Heysel 35 years

Jennings

I'm not a fan of the rest in peace thing but what else do you say. 39 lives ended and for what!  I was 4 years old Heysel didn't really impact me it's something I learnt about later and still didn't read too much into because i guess I didn't want to be shamed by the truth, shamed by other people's actions that had nothing to do with me. I think it does a disservice to those who died to be wilfully ignorant because I don't like the truth. I need to inform myself more about Heysel.

I hope the families and friends found some kind of peace and normality, grief has a weight to it you carry all your life.

3 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I'm not a fan of the rest in peace thing but what else do you say. 39 lives ended and for what!  I was 4 years old Heysel didn't really impact me it's something I learnt about later and still didn't read too much into because i guess I didn't want to be shamed by the truth, shamed by other people's actions that had nothing to do with me. I think it does a disservice to those who died to be wilfully ignorant because I don't like the truth. I need to inform myself more about Heysel.

I hope the families and friends found some kind of peace and normality, grief has a weight to it you carry all your life.

Don't know if this would be frowned upon but the Anfield Wrap did a superb analysis of it to mark the 30 year anniversary. Perspectives from both sides and contrary to how we're perceived completely full of remorse and sorrow.

• Upvote 1

Horrible memories of that day. I was 8 years old. Late back from a day out with my mum and thought I’d missed the first five minutes of the match. I’d been so excited all day. Ran home from the bus stop to see my dad distraught and fans all over the pitch. It just got worse from there on in. 

Love and sorrow to Juve.

• Upvote 1

Sad day. Still remember getting back from school, having my tea and then switching on the tv.

In my mind I think it was Dickie Davis reporting on it, but I was young so maybe I have made that up. I remember just sitting there in disbelief wondering why the game was allowed to continue.

(I'm in no way comparing this to Heysel, but it triggered a memory for me) Many years later I watched a bull fight in Mexico. It was grim. While everyone cheered the bulls being tormented to death, I remember seeing the faces of two young kids sitting near me. They were in shock, putting on fake smiles and cheers to copy their parents, but you could see the recognition on their faces that something wasn't right and they weren't really enjoying it. Thats how I felt watching the game - all the thrill, anxiety and excitement I normally associate with footie was gone.

RIP the 39.

• Upvote 4

I couldn't go as my new boss said there might not be one when you come back, being a cunt, anyway our kid and a mate went. I watched it in a mates ready for a great night only for events to unfold, my sisters and mum where on the phone worrying like fuck obviously. I said it looks like is Italian fans, not being an arsehole there, to ease there worry but at the same time worrying like fuck about them both outside the ground. 

A horrible night in a shit hole ground, and I'm glad a never went, our Steven has kept local papers with harrowing pictures, awful. 

A fucking awful, awful tragedy.

One that sadly was inevitable at some time and some place - anyone who remembers the time and anyone who remembers how things were or has read up on how they were will know that is a sad fact.

How it happened and why it happened is a long and grim story and football fans, the authorities, the clubs, governments, police etc should all hang their heads in shame for their part in how and why it happened and for the fact that it was sadly inevitable at some time and some place.

The people who glibly use the tragedy of Heysel and the sad loss of life as a weapon in football rivalry now should also hang their heads in shame.

Thankfully a lot of lessons have be learned from that sad, sad day - too late of course and sadly further mass loss of life at football matches still followed with many of the same issues at the heart.

But 35 years on the game has managed to move on from those dark days and is not plagued anywhere near as badly with all those issues, that is the light that comes out of what was awful dark.

RIP

• Upvote 5

Always remember listening to Radio Merseyside because there wasnt wall to wall coverage hours before the game in those days. It was hard to envisage what was happening, was it Eddie Hemmings doing the pre game updates?

Im not ducking anything here, despite everything I think a section of our fans were culpable that night.

I continually hold out hope that the club will one day make a more fitting memorial to those that died rather than the simple plaque on the front of the SKD.

RIP

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, an tha said:

The people who glibly use the tragedy of Heysel and the sad loss of life as a weapon in football rivalry now should also hang their heads in shame.

What makes them even sadder is that a lot of them glorify their "firms" heyday in the 70's/80's. Its a miracle more deaths didn't happen at grounds around them times. 

51 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

What makes them even sadder is that a lot of them glorify their "firms" heyday in the 70's/80's. Its a miracle more deaths didn't happen at grounds around them times. 

I see this on Facebook all the time. Loads of fellas in their 50s going on about taking over towns, fighting with other fans and having the hardest firm. Yet as soon as Heysel is mentioned all the scousers got everyone banned from Europe.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

Absolutely and Ingerlund as well fighting pitched battles across Europe....look at Euro 80 for example.

It really was a shit time where violence was rampant and all the associated issues around it created an environment where it was inevitable something like Heysel would sadly happen.

That does not exonerate our fans who behaved in the way they did that day of course with such awful consequences.

The glorifying of the problems at the time and the firms etc, taking over towns and 'ends' etc is fucking pathetic.

• Upvote 1

The thing with Heysel is that if you try telling anyone of the circumstances that caused the deaths you are accused of making excuses and gives the always the victims brigade an oppurtunity.

I would like to see somebody do an inquiry in this day and age, with all the facts to show that it wasnt just Liverpool fans hooliganasm that led to the deaths, although we do have acknowledge that it did play a large part.

One thing I will say is tradgedy would have occured if any English team had played there that night, with the state of the stadium and organisation. Probably with most other European fans too, as hooliginasm was widespread throughout the continent.

• Upvote 1

On 29/05/2020 at 13:20, an tha said:

A fucking awful, awful tragedy.

One that sadly was inevitable at some time and some place - anyone who remembers the time and anyone who remembers how things were or has read up on how they were will know that is a sad fact.

How it happened and why it happened is a long and grim story and football fans, the authorities, the clubs, governments, police etc should all hang their heads in shame for their part in how and why it happened and for the fact that it was sadly inevitable at some time and some place.

Thankfully a lot of lessons have be learned from that sad, sad day - too late of course and sadly further mass loss of life at football matches still followed with many of the same issues at the heart.

But 35 years on the game has managed to move on from those dark days and is not plagued anywhere near as badly with all those issues, that is the light that comes out of what was awful dark.

RIP

I agree with your comments for the most part but those lessons have been learned a lot more in the UK than Italy. I'm not sure what the Ultra culture is like at Juventus but its rife at some clubs,even in Serie A. That shit has to stop before the Italians have a mass loss in their own country. 

This in no way relieves 'Liverpool fans' of their responsibility for those deaths though.

PS This Ultra/hooligan culture is  now being glorified in Netflix dramas too.

37 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

All in French but some good footage of the build up but then grim the last 6/7 minutes.

That's dreadful, I thought the pictures in the Belgian papers my brother has  where bad, I've never seen that, so graphic., fucksake.