You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Report: Newcastle identify Shaqiri as transfer target 

TLW

Newcastle are the latest team to show interest in Liverpool winger Xherdan Shaqiri according to reports.

The Magpies are set to go on a major spending spree once their proposed £300million takeover from a Saudi consortium goes through.

The Mirror via the Daily Mail says that Newcastle have made contact with representatives of the Swiss star to see who keen he is to make the move to the North East.

The 28 year-old has been linked with Roma and Sevilla in the last few months but this is the first time a Premier League team has shown an interest.

The popular utility played a more than handy role in the Liverpool team that went step for step with Man City atop the Premier League table and were successful in winning the Champions League.

But this year has been far more of a struggle only making 10 appearances in all competitions with his standout performance coming in the Derby when he scored his only goal of the season.

shaqiri4_600.jpg.

Muscle injuries namely his groin and calf have been a real frustration leading to this classic take from Jürgen Klopp earlier in the year.

“It is not cool, absolutely not cool but maybe there are different reasons [for his injury].

"He is a very special player in different departments. His physique is different to all others I ever saw, his muscles are unbelievable."

A much travelled footballer with stops in Switzerland, Germany, Italy and England, Shaqiri will provide much experience and a winning pedigree to a team in Newcastle that certainly needs both qualities.

Shaqiri is just one senior player likely to depart in the summer with Adam Lallana and Dejan Lovren also regularly linked with moves away.

A fresh report says that Burnley have thrown their hat in the ring for Lallana’s signature but Leicester remain the firm favourite.

View full article

Be a shame, I quite like Big Shaq &, when fit, is a very useful squad player. 

Unfortunately that’s all he’ll ever be for us though. He hasn’t got the searing pace of our other wingers and if we sign Werner (another speed merchant), he’s definitely surplus to requirements.   

45 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

It's nothing to do with Newcastle fans who buy their club but there's no way I could support a club whose owners are connected to Prince Mohammed bin Salman. I'd walk away in utter disgust.

The controversial £300m Saudi Arabia-funded takeover of Newcastle United appears to be in serious doubt after the World Trade Organization ruled that the country is behind a pirate satellite TV and streaming service that offers illegal access to sporting events, the Guardian can reveal.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/may/26/newcastle-takeover-in-serious-doubt-as-wto-rules-pirate-tv-channel-is-saudi

8 minutes ago, S.i.t.M aka The Boring One™ said:

The controversial £300m Saudi Arabia-funded takeover of Newcastle United appears to be in serious doubt after the World Trade Organization ruled that the country is behind a pirate satellite TV and streaming service that offers illegal access to sporting events, the Guardian can reveal.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/may/26/newcastle-takeover-in-serious-doubt-as-wto-rules-pirate-tv-channel-is-saudi

And our club have a VPN provider,Nord VPN, as a sponsor. Looks like you can have murderers,torturers,money launderers etc as club owners but fuck with the television rights and you have no chance!

I like him, but his fitness is a worry.

If he could stat fit then he'd be a very useful squad player for us....we need depth and he is a very good example of the kind of level of player who gives us quality depth.

I'd rather he stayed.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

There's no use in us keeping him. He's put in some important performances and was fully worth it but generally, it seems Klopp avoids playing him. 

Because it seems Shaqiri avoids avoiding the scran