You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Amazon

TheHowieLama

Just now, TK421 said:

Google "Amazon working conditions" and click on the news tab.  There's a never ending list of articles about how bad it is.

I’ve seen some of them. Not a lot in 2020. I know they call them by number still. Do they still chain them up and track their movement etc? 

Just now, TK421 said:

Google "Amazon working conditions" and click on the news tab.  There's a never ending list of articles about how bad it is.

I’ve seen some of them. Not a lot in 2020. I know they call them by number still. Do they still chain them up and track their movement etc? 

21 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

There are tonnes of Covid related Amazon news articles.  They're a corporate superspreader.  Although I guess they'll be wearing masks by now, that's the main thing together with regular cleaning of surfaces and door nobs etc.  In China the companies get fined or closed down if they don't follow all of the strict measures.  In fact one Amazon place I read about was being threatened with closure for an uncontrolled Corona outbreak. 

Not only will they deliver a giant tub of (smooth) peanut butter at a $3 savings, they'll deliver you the news, pre-packaged (though without attribution):

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/all/least-10-tv-stations-aired-amazon-produced-segment-local-newscasts-n1215216

Segments outlining their efforts to promote health and safety within the company.

Amazon now manufacturing consent, apparently.

It also speaks to the state of TV journalism, of course, that they'd air a segment that arrived at their station via e-mail, without any identification, etc.

13 hours ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Heard a few comments about (not) judging people who use Amazon. What is there to be judgemental about? I mean, do other people check out the history of local businesses and business owners before using them? Do you know for sure they’ve always treated their employees fairly? Do you know if they declare every cash sale? I generally want an item, look for the item, but the item, and move on. Am I meant to feel guilty about getting the best deal now? If I want a new part for my PC, do I have to go into town to a shop that might not be there next week, pay extra, and then get fucked if something goes wrong, lest I be judged on the Internet. 

Tesco, Amazon, Apple... all those cunts. They’ll get away with what they’re allowed to get away with. It’s the governments that let them go too far that’s the issue. It’s not some fella getting a good deal and good service on a set of drill bits that’s the issue. They need to be regulated but allowed to breathe. They can have huge profits AND be forced to pay their taxes and treat their staff less like livestock. 

These are pretty much my sentiments too. Put into text better than me though.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Paul said:

The issues with Amazon are to do with regulation and taxation. It’s up to government to resolve both those failings. Why would a company whose sole purpose is to make money not do everything it can within the law to do so? And why would customers not spend their money where the overall package (cost, service, value, range, etc) Is far superior to every other option? Fair competition, taxation and working conditions should not be dependent upon moral and ethical interpretations by both customers and businesses of what is permitted under the law. Amazon is a product of rampant capitalism, the pace of change in a technological revolution and weak government. 

Totally agree. I will add that the 'weak' government part is completely intentional and one of,if not the worst,is that the financial power of the likes of Amazon et al means that they actually dictate government policy. This has been going on for decades,longer in the US, and now it has bore fruit in spectacular fashion.

58 minutes ago, Rotpeter said:

When I buy online, I'll check the usual suspects.  AMazon/ebay/walmart/alibaba etc.  Amazon is rarely the cheapest, even among the US based retailers.  What am I doing wrong?

Not sure what it’s like in the US, but I’m the UK I think they’re about 90% of the time the cheapest option. Unless it’s significantly cheaper elsewhere, I’ll still get it from Amazon because the returns and customer service is so good. 

I went to buy some Method cleaning products this morning after it being out of stock at the shop. I thought ‘you know what, let’s try a smaller outlet’. Showed a similar price, until I got to the postage, which would cost £6 (the order was two bottles of cleaner, totalling £6) and take three days. Got it on Amazon, free next day delivery. 100% overall saving. 

SHAME. SHAME. SHAME. 

1 hour ago, Rotpeter said:

When I buy online, I'll check the usual suspects.  AMazon/ebay/walmart/alibaba etc.  Amazon is rarely the cheapest, even among the US based retailers.  What am I doing wrong?

They actually have a site called alibaba? I hope his forty thieves dont find out.

11 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Not sure what it’s like in the US, but I’m the UK I think they’re about 90% of the time the cheapest option. Unless it’s significantly cheaper elsewhere, I’ll still get it from Amazon because the returns and customer service is so good. 

I went to buy some Method cleaning products this morning after it being out of stock at the shop. I thought ‘you know what, let’s try a smaller outlet’. Showed a similar price, until I got to the postage, which would cost £6 (the order was two bottles of cleaner, totalling £6) and take three days. Got it on Amazon, free next day delivery. 100% overall saving. 

SHAME. SHAME. SHAME. 

Ok, piecemealing.  Stuff like that I buy in bulk though.

I walked into town, saving the planet and also obeying social distancing rules.

I then bought an item that was £2 more expensive than on Amazon. I then walked home. 

The problem is I bought said item from Machine Mart and have no idea what they are like as a company. I would imagine they would love to be like Amazon.

I try not to use Amazon if I don't have to, but also use them a lot. Ideally they would care about workers terms and conditions, but the system is designed to give power to money and it is a vicious circle that needs changing.

I think as consumers we can all do out bit but choosing where and when to buy but when it comes price a lot of people are not in a position to pay more for less because it is the "right" thing to do.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Scooby Dudek said:

I think as consumers we can all do out bit but choosing where and when to buy but when it comes price a lot of people are not in a position to pay more for less because it is the "right" thing to do.

We could probably just stop buying so much shite we don't need.

26 minutes ago, Scooby Dudek said:

The problem is I bought said item from Machine Mart and have no idea what they are like as a company. I would imagine they would love to be like Amazon.

I'd imagine Machine Mart are like the power tool equivalent of Maplins (before they went under). A bigger supply chain and lower prices than a small independent local shop. Slightly knowledgeable staff, more so than people at B&Q/Wickes/Homebase (or PC World, in the case of Maplins) but not the expertise of the person running the small independent. Always getting fucked over by Amazon because they can't compete with the supply chain, the prices and the convenience.

30 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Are you suggesting I didn't need the same cleaning products that I already have just in another scent? 

Damn you to hell, you barbarian. 

Now, hang on a minute. I wouldn't suggest something quite that barbaric.

So in essence, people would like to bring down an evil, monopolistic, capitalistic behemoth by boycotting it but the problem is, it is so damn convenient and cheap and customer service and returns policy are superb.

It's like charging the Winter Castle and getting stuck in the hallways admiring the portraits and then thinking the craftsmanship of the doors to power was much too fine to just smash through. Take the Faberge eggs and off you go.

It's not that, for me.

It's that the companies that offer me the closest alternatives run on a similar business model.

So if Bezos can get it to me cheaper, and within an acceptable time frame, I'm going to save my money.

That said, I shop at my local store every week, usually spending $50-$60; I order from Amazon every few months, spending $100-150.

So my local store, with it's local employees, my neighbours, get most of my money.